Parrots feet curled after nail clipping

Raven9464

Aug 2, 2011
A friend's mother took her parrot to her vet to have it's wings and nails clipped. Afterwards she was told they trimmed it's nails to short and maybe hit a nerve, so now it's feet are curled up. They have been this way for 3 weeks. The parrot will not stand or uncurl it's feet..... Anyone ever heard of this?

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Yikes! I would definately get this bird back to the vet as soon as possible.

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
I would definitely NOT take the bird back to the same vet.
I would guess that it was not taken to an Avian vet the first time.
That is so horrible, I can't even believe it!!
What kind of parrot is it?

OP
R

Raven9464

Aug 2, 2011
I think it is a conure....co worker was not sure. But I was shocked to hear the story. He had asked me if I knew anything about this type of thing happening. I'd never heard of it but said I'd try and find out. I can't believe it happened at a vets.......I read somewhere that it could be a palsy from a stroke ? A google search brought up nothing on curled feet after a nail trim.... I just feel so bad for the parrot and owner, I am trying my best to find out any info I can...

any advice, insight, thoughts would be very much appreciated

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Wow, both feet? That one very inexperienced nail trimmer to screw up on both feet that badly. Definitely head to a different vet to find out what's wrong.

Satellitegirl

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Sunny - Lutino Lovebird
My quaker parrot, when I was younger, had that happen a couple of times, but he came out of it. I was too young to know what to do about it, so we let him be and he was ok, but if I had been older I would have got him to a vet pronto, and not the same one that did the nail trimming!

Parrots need an Avian or Exotic pet Vet.

birdmama61

Apr 13, 2011
This is why I cannot stress enough to people in petsmart asking ?s to take their birds to an avian vet and yes if they live in my city I give them my avian vets name and number . It is very important to always use an avian vet because some vets have no idea how to take care of wings , beaks or claws on a bird and they screw it up . My bird martin was clipped very badly so I had to let him grow out before I clipped them the right way and I learned by watching my friends and one of whom is a former vet tech as well , she does all her own birds because she used to work in an avian vets office and that was her job . clipping wings , trimming beaks and trimming toe nails should be left to the proffesionals . Please get that bird to an avian vet .

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
OK before you all get to upset about this, in all my years dealing with parrots i have never heard such a thing. I have had parrots get their toe nail bitten half off & it just heals up no trouble. I would think it highly unlikely this is caused by trimming the toenails to much, in any case they would bleed if cut to short.

I would take the bird back to the Vet & see what the real cause of the birds paralysis

Causes for the curling could be due to paralysis syndrome. Possibly associated with a Vit E & selenium deficiency. This form of malnutrition is related to intestional damage caused by Giardia infection. Another possibility is a calcium deficiency.

How old is the bird?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts