Parrots in cars

Renae.Rango

Apr 29, 2013
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Rango- Male Princess of Wales Parrot, 6 months old.
Hey guys, I've only had my little man for about 4 months now and I was wondering how other people transport them in the car.
I've only ever taken him on a short drive to the vet.
We are going away for a couple of nights and want to take him with us but the drive takes about an hour...
Any advice?
P.s he's only a little princess parrot

Nocturnal

May 15, 2013
A secret place
Parrots
||Mika, 23 yo senegal parrot||Cayenne, 5 yo sun conure||Katana, 6 yo cockatiel||Monk, 4 yo peachfaced lovie||Onyx, 8 yo BH caique||Pluto & Neptune, 4 yo budgies||Tauntaun, 17 yo U2||
He should be fine- I like to seatbelt the cage and/or carrier to a seat or wedge it carefully between the seats on the floor. Personally I like to cover the cage, leaving one side facing me uncovered so I can see the bird and the bird can see me.

My caique did get carsick when I brought her home, but my Senegal and cockatiel have never had issue and my U2 didn't seem to mind.

OP
Renae.Rango

Renae.Rango

Apr 29, 2013
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Rango- Male Princess of Wales Parrot, 6 months old.
Great thankyou, just don't want to scare the crap out of him!!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Sure you little princess parrot will be fine.

Keep talking to your little one, hearing your voice will calm him down and make them feel secure.

Safe journey

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
We have a travel cage for Merlin, he either sits on my knee (in the carrier) or we seatbelt the carrier up for a little safety, don't want him tipping over or anything!

Most birds seem to enjoy travelling in the car, as long as they're not stressed out by carriers etc. Hope it goes well! :)

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
If my daughter or someone is with me I have window perch that I attach to the passenger side, they keep her entertained and kiwi will hang out there, otherwise she is in a cage and seat belted in.

jbail1026

Aug 6, 2012
Media
Lexington, KY
Parrots
Family bird: Yellow-Naped Amazon (George '88)
My girl: Turquoise Peachfaced lovebird (Ollie Belle, hatched 9/1/13)
George has a travel cage that fits in the front seat. My family was military so we've caravanned across country many times - birds and all. I have to say, George always loves a car ride - captive audience!

Most Reactions