Part-time outdoors?

PippinGrim

Sep 15, 2016
Hey guys,

I recently got a 5 month old jenday conure. I am in love with him but a little overwhelmed! Pippin is very quiet while I am with him, but screams when I leave him alone (as birds do). To keep him and my roommates happy, I have been moving his cage outside during the daytime, then back in to sleep at night. While I am home, he is inside on my shoulder. I live in Northern California and temperatures are generally in the low 50's. I have a 150 watt heat lamp for him while he is out and block the wind around his cage, but I am still worried that he is too cold. He has been acting very quiet and less playful than usual today - could he be getting sick? Is it too cold for him outside?

Looking for any advice from more experienced bird owners!

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
50s shouldn't be too cold for him, especially with your setup, unless he is ill from something else or plucked with large bald spots. The fresh air and sun are very good for him.

That said, if his behavior is off and you are worried, it is worth it to get him checked out by an avian vet.

Also just in case it wasn't on your radar, if the heat lamp has any Teflon in it, or is using a Teflon-coated lightbulb (I think these are marketed as shatter resistant), that could be a problem as it releases chemicals that will kill a bird.

Last edited:

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
I really don't know too much about them as I haven't researched heat lamps in depth. If the bulb came with the lamp, you can give the manufacturer a call. This is what I do to make sure this type of thing is safe. Maybe someone else here can give you a more definitive answer.

You may not need the lamp, at least until you can find out if it is safe. Pay attention to what Pippin does when outside. Cold behavior is puffing up, especially the leg feathers so they drop over their toes, and shivering. Also they gain and lose heat through their feet, so if he has a warm place to sit this can help too.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Actually, your setup could be a problem if any draft is getting through. The inconsistency brought on by a draft of cold wind can mess with a bird's temperature regulation. And yes, I agree with Piasa. If he seems off to you, bringing him to see a vet is your best bet. Things can go downhill very swiftly with birds. Better to be sure.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Just a little question is Pippin left completely alone outside as I am concerned re predators etc. They can see a bird of prey high in the sky so clearly and this causes stress.

When indoors work on him being in his cage a bit more because if you allow free rein in terms of shoulder access he will shout blue murder when he cannot have it. Go through some training with him and I am sure he will quieten down. Hope he is OK?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
OP
P

PippinGrim

Sep 15, 2016
thanks everyone!
Pippin seems fine today.
He is alone outside sometimes, but he is in a closed in, roofed area just outside the door - I don't worry too much about him seeing something scary.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Glad to hear he's doing well!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Not sure what the ideal room temps for a jenday are- but I personally would not put any 'tropical' bird in those temps.

People differ on this and I respect that- but for me, I think the "ideal" temp range is 65-75. I do know that birds can acclimate to colder climates provided they are fed properly (a 'well-rounded' diet) but sudden temperature changes are often more of an issue than any sort of normal range.

You have to take into consideration that wind/drafts are likely lower in temp than the actual temp so it may be 55 temp, but feel like 50 if there is a wind/draft.

Most Reactions