Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
News from the vet... Finally!

It seems that the powers that be in Miami didn't get back to my vet, so she called them to check in. There are several schools of thought regarding thyroid in parrots, but my vet is comfortable with starting meds. We could do more blood tests, since thyroid levels change throughout the day, but it turns out that his level was "undetectable" meaning, even with a not super sensitive test, and normal fluctuation, his levels are EXTREMELY low at best. So, we're doing a trial on meds starting this morning. Fortunately, I own a pharmacy, so we have the ability to compound the right dose for him. The next trick was how to get him to take all of it.

With that in mind, I made my first attempt at birdie bread this morning! Meds in liquid form soaked in to a little piece of bread instantly disappeared. YAY PATCHES!

My first go around turned into pumpkin spice nut cornbread. I wasn't sure, but it came out tasting really good and he attacked it. I gave him some peppers and blueberries along with it, (usually a favorite) and he totally ignored them. I guess he likes it! He ate lots of it and made a crumbly mess out of the leftovers. SUCCESS!!!
4d054b10c21c600806a9f93e160fa4e9.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Glad you have some basis for treatment and the ability to compound*.

Only experience I've had with thyroid issues was with a female Ekkie who lost many of her feathers and was reduced to a puff ball of down. Vet suspected low thyroid, but testing was inconclusive. (About 20 years ago) He prescribed oral meds in her water, stating the potential for "cure as diagnosis." Didn't make a difference, and her feathers grew back over time absolutely normally.

*Same bird developed heart problems about 2 years ago, and her current (and excellent) vet prescribed Pimobendan. Not available in powder form for the consumer in the U.S, so we had a compounding pharmacy make batches for long term care.

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP

Only experience I've had with thyroid issues was with a female Ekkie who lost many of her feathers and was reduced to a puff ball of down. Vet suspected low thyroid, but testing was inconclusive. (About 20 years ago) He prescribed oral meds in her water, stating the potential for "cure as diagnosis." Didn't make a difference, and her feathers grew back over time absolutely normally.

*Same bird developed heart problems about 2 years ago, and her current (and excellent) vet prescribed Pimobendan. Not available in powder form for the consumer in the U.S, so we had a compounding pharmacy make batches for long term care.
Thanks Scott. I do worry about heart issues with Patches . He's fine for now, but likely due to the thyroid problem, his cholesterol was really high. (over 650) Hopefully getting the meds will help get his numbers back to a more normal range. I will do anything and everything I can for him to keep him healthy. He deserves it.

Thyroid meds are usually a rest of your life scenario, although things change sometimes. Ongoing testing is the guide.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Thanks Scott. I do worry about heart issues with Patches . He's fine for now, but likely due to the thyroid problem, his cholesterol was really high. (over 650) Hopefully getting the meds will help get his numbers back to a more normal range. I will do anything and everything I can for him to keep him healthy. He deserves it.

Thyroid meds are usually a rest of your life scenario, although things change sometimes. Ongoing testing is the guide.

Having an identified precursor certainly helps with choosing appropriate therapy. You are such a great parront! In the case of my late Angel, the heart issue developed later in life absent lab abnormalities 6 months prior.

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Quote:
"Having an identified precursor certainly helps with choosing appropriate therapy. You are such a great parront! In the case of my late Angel, the heart issue developed later in life absent lab abnormalities 6 months prior."

Thank you! I will do everything I can for him given the information at hand and hope it helps him, and that he's going to be with me for a very long time. If things go horribly wrong some day, at least I will have given him the best chance and best care I could, and he will have been in his forever home where he knows he's loved.

Most Reactions

Latest posts