Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Very cool pic of you guys. But tell Patches it's OK to smile now. He is in good hands.

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Very cool pic of you guys. But tell Patches it's OK to smile now. He is in good hands.
Lol! He was smiling. Look at those eyes :-D

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yep, that vet sounds like a keeper!

I reckon at this point the important thing is getting that thyroid test out of the way. I don't know too much about thyroid treatment with birds, so I think I'll get into some research.

Awesome pic of you two!
Yup, I was much more impressed with her when it came down to talking about the whole package with more information at hand, and no stressed out bird in the middle of it. Next time I will have him out of the carrier before we go in the room so we start off a little more calm. :)

As far as treatment for hypothyroidism, the med is the same for people, dogs, birds, whatever, just the dose amount changes, synthroid (levothyroxine). One of my dogs (the mastiff) is on it at a dose that would probably kill a person, but considered fairly low for a dog his size. Makes a huge difference for him. Alternatively, some folks have success by increasing iodine intake. Some suppliments are out there made with kelp, some people have just used sea salt in the food. First we need to see what his levels are, and then look at the best approach.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sounds like a plan. I'll be eagerly watching this thread for those test results.

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
We went back for the blood draw to check thyroid levels this afternoon. To decrease the stress on him, I took him out of the carrier before he went back for the draw. He was soooo good! Totally different experience from last time. Very relaxed. Made me super proud. Now we wait for answers. Fingers crossed... Again.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Well handled! Hoping the results are all good.

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Well handled! Hoping the results are all good.
Thanks! I was trying to think ahead a little to keep from the stress of them pulling him out of the carrier. The tech came out and suggested I put him back in it to take him out back... Umm... No. Defeats the whole purpose. In the end, I carried him back myself. He kept trying to escape when he saw the towel. Jumped down and ran down the hall to follow me out. I'm loved!

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Happy sidetrack while waiting for lab results on the thyroid...

After two months of offering every few days, Patches suddenly decided this morning that oatmeal is a really good thing! This is huge for him! So happy!

Also, the last few mornings have started with greetings from under the blanket. He's of course covered at night, so now when it's time to get up, he tries to peek under and says hello, and peek-a-boo repeatedly in the cutest voice. Starts my day with a smile before even getting out of bed. [emoji7]
5a99a61701266cdc0c27359c76b9758f.jpg

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
It’s so awesome when they discover that something is good :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Glad Patches discovered the joy of oatmeal! Makes a nice treat, and a great conduit for liquid medicines if needed.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Glad Patches discovered the joy of oatmeal! Makes a nice treat, and a great conduit for liquid medicines if needed.

^^^ This!!! Oatmeal has been a lifesaver for me medicating Jolly, so I cosign on Scott's sentiments!

I love how a whole new world seems to be opening up for Patches!

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO

^^^ This!!! Oatmeal has been a lifesaver for me medicating Jolly, so I cosign on Scott's sentiments!

I love how a whole new world seems to be opening up for Patches!

i'm obviously not worth a #%^@#$% at cooking oatmeal. My fids won't touch it. Of course to be honest my dogs won't eat my gravy!

I don't cook the oatmeal with any fat, salt , or sugar. After reading what I wrote I wouldn't eat it either.:)

If you oatmeal feeders do something different I would sure like to know.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I like to mix oatmeal with plain apple sauce and feed it to Lincoln. He loves it. Always a safe option to mix in fruits that your bird would already normally eat.

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
"If you oatmeal feeders do something different I would sure like to know."

I've tried several different varients. Today was the cheating kind... Plain instant. I mixed in some chopped apple. He went right to the apples... and promptly threw them at me, then decided to eat the oatmeal!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I prepare oatmeal very simply.... quick oats straight from the box to a bowl with water; no measurements, dump and pour. Microwaved for about 2 minutes until creamy. Served when cooled, nothing added. Of course the garnishments are unlimited; various fruits, crushed nuts, etc. Sufficiently bland you could add veggies if desired!

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Results are back! Thyroid level is REALLY low. Vet is hesitant to give a diagnosis on one test since levels fluctuate throughout the day. She said an actual hypothyroidism diagnosis usually is done by way of a skin biopsy, but she recommended waiting on that, doing another blood test first. She's also consulting with powers that be in Miami before moving forward or considering treatment. I'm waiting for the call back after she speaks with them.

Does anyone here have any ideas/thoughts on thyroid issues with birds? I understand it's quite a rare problem for them. My research came up with basically two things. Meds, (synthroid) or things that raise iodine levels like kelp based suppliments. (One I found had success adding sea salt to the diet, although I am leary of the sodium increase on that one)

Anyway, more wait and see... Shoot me ideas if you have any. Thanks!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Wow. I really don't know much about thyroid issues with birds. I'll tell you if I find anything, though.

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I've been digging a little bit. Seems to be more common with budgies since many of them are on mostly seed diet causing iodine deficiency, which can lead to goiter/ thyroid issues. I want to ask the vet about possibility of goiter when she calls back. It could explain pretty much everything- cholesterol, thyroid, breathing noise, feather discoloration, lack of feathers/plucking, all of it, and it's treatable! Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but it makes total sense if this is what's going on.

Question... Does anyone have any experience with Avikelp? Looks to be a common suppliment to help with iodine deficiency.

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I was rummaging on Amazon- they have those mineralblocks esp. with iodine.
No experience though '( they wont ship anything to Europe I am interested in :p )

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Morning treat: one fresh strawberry.
Result: instantly looking like he's eating a small rodent. So sloppy, I love it!
5c2fdbfbee69a4f46bca1cd9643a262d.jpg

Most Reactions