PBFD Sunny is showing symptoms

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Sunny just dropped one of his beautiful primary flight feathers.:( It is so hard to have him with me at work knowing what I know. It is like watching my new born baby fading away in front of my eyes. :(

I will take photos of the dropped feathers tonight so you can see what they look like.:(

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Wildheart, as much as your fearfull your sunny has PBFD, I am praying that it's somethings else, maybe related to diet or even weather.
I would be very interested to see some photos of the feathers.
Sometimes my suns drop some strange looking feathers but they haven't got PBFD.

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Sunny was born on the 12th of Nov so he is only 10 weeks old. It is abnormal to drop feathers at this stage. Here are the photos of feathers that he dropped yesterday.

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

When I first noticed it, it was only small feathers, the big feathers started yesterday.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Wildheart, i have had some of my baby sunnies drop feathers exactly the same as your pic. Although i have never had my suns tested for PBFD because that never crossed my mind. I just put it down to diet & maybe lacking in some vitamin. Once i got them eating properly it all improved. I found this link i think will interest you & maybe give you some hope.

Feather Disorders in our Pet Parrot's

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Can it be because of malnutrition of the parents because sunny is still on 95% formula?

These feathers are not only coming out while he preens, I checked.:( I stroked him and I ended up with feathers in my hand. :(

I did think in the beginning that he is itchy because every time that I brought water close to him he climbed in and bathed. A bit strange for his age isnt it?

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Linky, what does his hand feed formula consist of? I have had young babies hie age take baths so that is normal.

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
It is the AVI plus hand rearing second phase, it is all we use here in SA. With that I am giving him mashed veggies and tiny pieces of fruit during the day.

Here is a link that shows the packets.

AVI - Baby Birds

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Avi Plus is an excellent brand. I was wondering because I have helped many people who live in other countries that do not have access to formulas. Do you have sweet potatoes there? They are full of carotene which is excellent for feathers. While I must agree that the amount of feathers Sunny is dropping is not normal, there are other things that could cause it. He developed those feathers while with his breeder and parent birds. so it could be a nutritional defect. When will the results be in?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Linky will know the results tomorrow, keep praying guys

The AVI plus hand rearing second phase, is the formula I am still feeding Mishka each and every morning. I continued with it because there is so much goodness in it, and why break a good habit, that is also great for bonding. He loves it to bits.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I am still crossing everything for you all and you have never been far from my mind.

We're all waiting in hope in the Maggs' household for you xxxxx

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Sunny dropped ALL his beautiful tail feathers yesterday!:(:( He is also not eating very well.

It is soooo painful to be with him and knowing that there is nothing that we can do for him. It is totally breaking me and my daughter, I dont think I have ever cried so much in one week like this week.

I cant take him to Dr. Brett if the result is positive, I dont know how to let him go without even trying. I cant keep him and break my daughter even more. I dont know what to do.

I will have the results in 6 hours.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
ahhh Linky.....

We're here, we'll find out what exactly is the diagnosis is before we start thinking on what to do xxxxxx

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Here is the latest photo of him. I'm telling him that at this rate he will be kaalgat / naked before Feb.:) We'll have to carry him in our pockets otherwise he will be too cold. The feathers are becoming more and more bloody.

002.jpg

He is however playing, climbing and trying to fly all the time. He is making the cutest baby sounds the whole time, talking and talking.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
There's always hope Linky. Not long now. I am upset I will be at my "second job" and then the vets with my dog Boots (poorly bottom!) when you get the results.

I am and will be thinking of you though. xx

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Linky, my heart aches for you. I am trying to stay positive. I know what you are going through is very difficult. Remember though that Sunny needs you and depends on you. If the results are not what you hoped for and his symptoms progress you will know what is best and when.
He also may have a decreased appetite due to fledging though. This is normal. Let us hope that is what it is. Prayers coming your way.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
You are in our thoughts and prayers, we are all here for you.
Miracles do happen, please God let this be one of them.

Waiting by my phone Linky, praying and hoping

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
He also may have a decreased appetite due to fledging though. This is normal.

We ordered McDonalds at about 1 and I held a piece of chip for him. He loved it so much that he discarded the piece, walked straight to my plate and took a whole chip for himself!:D

003.jpg

After taking 4 and chewing it while ON my laptop he decided that climbing in the plate would be much more convenient!:D
009.jpg

You can see the mess on my new laptop.:rolleyes:

010.jpg

Here are today's feathers so far - very bloody. He was playing on the carpet, trying his very best to fly, each time that he flaps his wings - feathers fall. He got tired of playing with my daughter and walked all the way back to my desk, up my leg and is now sleeping on my lap.

011.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts