PDD in Australia

lisascannell

Sep 1, 2013
South Australia
Parrots
2 Lovebirds, 5 cockatiels, finch, budgie, Indian Ringneck
Anyone know if we get PDD disease in Australia? I don't think we do as I can't find any Australian articles on it. I'm taking one of my tiels in for vet tests this week as the vet thinks her poop is a bit gritty

OP
L

lisascannell

Sep 1, 2013
South Australia
Parrots
Typical just after I posted this question I finally found an article. Rare in Australia. Phew

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I believe it's due to the strict practice of importation laws you guys have, which we need that here....

OP
L

lisascannell

Sep 1, 2013
South Australia
Parrots
Oh yeah absolutely. I'm so relieved as that disease is just brutal and imagine something like that breaking out in your flock :(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They're all brutal, doesn't matter which one....It's even harder to watch when it's your flock that happens to. I believe I've told you during my early years I trusted a lady with her tiel and I placed him within my flock which caused a virus breakout. After losing 3 birds and hundreds on vet bills later plus daily medicating, high protein food I hand feed everyone of them, high heat and humidity in their hospital room, change to high fat content diet, etc to bring them back to health. It made me super cautious ever since then, thus I always remind people about quarantine!!!

OP
L

lisascannell

Sep 1, 2013
South Australia
Parrots
That's heartbreaking. I think I would have a heart attack if that ever happened to me

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Comforting to know it might be more rare in Australia, but disease it's still everywhere unfortunately, so don't let your guard too far down :)

Most Reactions