Peep?

DuffanoErskineBirds

Feb 19, 2013
Flint, Michigan
Parrots
Jazzy − Green and Cinnamon Quaker
SirPoopingtonFitzgerald the 1st aka: Poopy − Cockatiel
Hello there,
my name is Amanda! I've been a lover and admire of birds for very long time. It all started with my grandmothers And bird watching with them. I've been working with birds from barnard fowl to exotic pets that since I was 10 years old, I'm now 27 and I'd like to think I've learned a lot to the years.

I'm trying to start a non−profit bird rescue. Sort of already have. I take in birds people can no longer take care of or no longer want. I've also purchased a bird for the price of the cage and accessories, not really the bird itself. When I am done I'd like to me some them for the price of their cage and accessories and any vet bills. Not including the initial wellness exam. I really want to get a small business license and get a 501(c)3 so I can ask for donatiodonations and apply for grants so that I can take care of more than the 20 birds I can actually handle paying for at a time. I do have people who donate things to me like that sosome feed and cages or toys. They come on their own though, I never ask. I love my neighbors sometimes.

It's been breaking my heart to see a bird on something like Craigslist for free to a good home and then seeing it changing hands several times being sold over and over again. I'm going to be able to do something about now, or at least soon enough. I plan on making my own website and placing breeders bands on all of my birds before rehoming them so I can keep track of them. Something a close friend says I should start now.

I'm also going to research on how I can start up something like a kennel, but for birds
An idea I had is that I would like to help the elderly and disabled people be able to keep their birds home with them for longer. Like elderly people who have in home care, or elderly people who live in apartment complex where they have people that check up on them but they are mostly independent. Elderly people who are on end of life care but still want their birds close. I'd like to be able to take donations from people so that I can pay for gas and feed and such to go take care of birds at no charge for those who are no longer physically capable of caring for their own bird. I'd also like to give people on end of life care security knowing that I will take the bird and care for it for them until I can re home them to the next forever home when the person passes away.

I've been putting a lot of thought and work in my plans. If anyone knows any information that would be helpful to me I would love to hear it!

I am currently owned by 2 birds, 1 currently lives with a good friend of mine until I can pick him up later in the week. On Sunday I rescued two Quakers, they are green and we think they're both males. The tame and very loving 1 who needs a bit of training still, fell in love with my male housemate, so, as I only payed for the cage and accessories, that is what I asked for to keep bird. He and his wife, my female housemate, are great with regards to and are helping me with some birds when I get a few to care for. She's very good with clipping the wings, trimming the claws and grooming. I know Green Bean will have a forever home. Jazzy, however, started off with some bad bites! But in the morning when I'm less tired, I will be telling that tail. Main thing is we bonded right off the bat and I now I would never rehome this so called untame bird. He is my sweet baby and also my very smart booger butt. He knows most of the things he says, he's not just repeating things.

Poopy has been `mine` for about 3 years, my friend wanted to keep him but he always called him my bird. I thought my friend was joking when he said his tiel was in love with me. Poopy would mope after I was no longer there when I had started visiting my friend in his home. He had gotten his 2 birds from a previous roommate just abandoned them there when he moved out. Well, the red bellied Pionus took a liking to him but the tiel didn't. It seems Poopy prefers girls. Now whenever I visit my friend, Poopy cries to be let out of his cage so he can come see me. He will ride on my shoulder everywhere in the house, I'm not even allowed to peel him off to use the restroom! Penny the Pionus has been attacking poor Poopy, my friend has now decided he really wants me to take him home with me, I promised him I'd spam him with tons of pictures and updates on how Poopy is doing, after I visit my friend so I can take Poopy home with me.

I am here to make friends, learn even more about birds and possibly help birds and people In my area.
:green2:

OP
D

DuffanoErskineBirds

Feb 19, 2013
Flint, Michigan
Parrots
I'm sorry if there's any spelling or other errors I can only get internet from my phone number to go to the library right now. I haven't really found internet service I like.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It's a BIG task your trying to take on....You may have some bird experience, but you really don't have enough experience with big birds yet. I've watched the bird rescue groups go under in my area and most of the time I don't agree with what they're doing anyways, but that's just me.....There's really no actual rescue groups in my area, there's a few small ones, but I wouldn't trust them for nothing....To me, a lot of these rescue places over charges for birds to re-home, I find that to be a bit ridiculous....Hence the reason why they go under in my area....When people look, they can get a young weaned baby for same price or lower then a rescue bird that may have issues, who do they think they would go with. I'm all about rescue birds, but a lot of them need to be reasonable. I take in rescued birds so I know the whole thing quite well. If your willing to put your work into it, go for it, but have something to fall back on if it doesn't work out as it's not a easy task to deal with!

OP
D

DuffanoErskineBirds

Feb 19, 2013
Flint, Michigan
Parrots
Oh, I have ideas and I keep tabs on what each parent species is worth as a baby. What I plan to do when I can get on a bigger scale of things is selling the cage and accessories and the word itself. This is something that is in my adoption contract I have set up. If they wish to re home they must sell it for the cage and accessories only, or else they will have to pay me the price in full that the bird itself is worth from a pet store or breeder to keep people from flipping the bird.

I've spoken to plenty of other bird rescues in Michigan, so I have a general idea of how hard it can be.
My housemate and I earn our income by crafting things to sell at the local flea market. Mostly jewelry because that's what sells the best. I do have 1 more fallback plan, but thank you so much! You're very sweet for being so concerned. ^_^

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Your very welcome! I just personally knows how tough it can be. Most of my birds came from bad conditions that I took in, but we're maxed out. There's no donations so the feeds and all the care they need come out of our pockets. It gets very expensive buying feed for 22 birds, plus treats and such....We go to the grocery store about 3 times a week to purchase fresh produce for them to keep it fresh at all times. Then all the vet visits plus our other pets, 3 dogs and 2 cats. Flea meds, heart worm, yearly vaccination, food and special food for my Alexis with urinary issue. Our monthly budget for animals is pretty high. And we both work full time to supplement that budget. After working all day, we come home and feed and clean after everyone. That's a daily routine and I'm blessed to have a partner that loves them as much as I do and care for them all like they need to be cared for. My partner would tell you, even when I'm down right sick with 102 degree fever, I'm wobbling around feeding everyone, I vacuum and clean up like I always do. But we've had most for many years and we've discussed it in the recent years that we are totally maxed out and once the dogs pass, we would only have one small dog and no more birds added to our addition, that means I have to decline all who tries to give me one. But things change, you just never know....lol

OP
D

DuffanoErskineBirds

Feb 19, 2013
Flint, Michigan
Parrots
Oh, wow. We both can fully care for about the same amount of animals.

I always used to worry about getting into trouble for taking in birds and then rehoming them later, after a lot of research for my state, I can, but can't personally ask for donations. I've gotten in over my head before few times, but with help of awesome people around I managed to get by. I'm confident with the things I've learned so far that I could possibly get enough donations from around here and maybe even a grant from Petco, after I do what I need to qualify for the grants. For now, I will continue the small operations and be content. I'm going to be doing the breeder band thing now though, I want to keep better track of where the birds are that I've helped.

Do you rehome any of your birds? Or do you just take them in and keep them? I've never really had a problem with placing my birds after I am sure that can be a good pet for someone. It's probably because I'm very close to a few really big cities.

I have met a very nice breeder here in my community. I plan on asking her if she would have the time to mentor me in larger birds, like the macaws she breeds.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
My wife and i rescue/rehome, sanctuary, and breed amazons. My experiences are very different from yours. I spend years and thousands of dollars on some birds, good homes are hard to find. I don't charge rehoming fees but suggest donations to one of our vets or feed store where we have running tabs. Older neglected amazons can be a real trial to tame and rehome. Sanctuary birds , who i keep forever, cost. I have a hen Pan who goes to the vet every Thursday 830, secondary infections from vitA issues in her past life. The good part, i doubt she'll be with us much longer. I'm sure i,ve had her to more than 10 AVs in last several years. She is the sweetest amazon you'll ever meet but she is doomed to a terrible death. Her "good days " every week become fewer and fewer. I'm not sure why i responded to your thread other than to say it's no bed of roses and you'll never make a dime. I'd stick to the small birds. PS welcome to the forum, hope you'll stick around and help out some of the newbies and keep a few more birds out of rescue.

Last edited:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
th_hello.gif
and welcome to the forum.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Hi and welcome to the forum:)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Oh, wow. We both can fully care for about the same amount of animals.

I always used to worry about getting into trouble for taking in birds and then rehoming them later, after a lot of research for my state, I can, but can't personally ask for donations. I've gotten in over my head before few times, but with help of awesome people around I managed to get by. I'm confident with the things I've learned so far that I could possibly get enough donations from around here and maybe even a grant from Petco, after I do what I need to qualify for the grants. For now, I will continue the small operations and be content. I'm going to be doing the breeder band thing now though, I want to keep better track of where the birds are that I've helped.

Do you rehome any of your birds? Or do you just take them in and keep them? I've never really had a problem with placing my birds after I am sure that can be a good pet for someone. It's probably because I'm very close to a few really big cities.

I have met a very nice breeder here in my community. I plan on asking her if she would have the time to mentor me in larger birds, like the macaws she breeds.

I keep them as it's been said, good homes are hard to find. There's been people asking when they visit, I tell them no they're not available.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Just my 2 cents...after being in Animal Welfare & Rescue for many years, plus doing bird rescue for over 40 years, I know Mikey & Richard (henpecked) are right. Finding good homes is very difficult. I've re-homed dozens of birds. I have strict guidelines for adopting any bird from me. Your heart is in the right place, but, you are looking down a long, hard road. We are not trying to discourage you. We are only trying to show you that this is a particularly difficult undertaking. But, with the right knowledge, resources & devotion, you'll do fine. I've done it, they do it, and you can too. Good luck, and welcome to a small club of devoted bird lovers!

OP
D

DuffanoErskineBirds

Feb 19, 2013
Flint, Michigan
Parrots
Thank you, everyone. I have taken my first steps to being a nonprofit rescue. I have filed for a license one registered to be nonprofit.

I have no intentions of making a dime. Never really had. I love helping and working with birds. Trust me, if I could, I would keep every bird in my home. I had help with drawing up my contract for adoptions.

I will stick about. You are nice folks and right helpful. I can not do breeding, my rescue is nonprofit and I do not want to sit in federal. Tomorrow I am filing for 501(c)3 and then I will look into some grants I qualify for and I can take even more birds in.

In other news, Jazzy almost let me touch his foot! I am dying to read the whole band. The suspense of hatch day is almost too much.

Most Reactions