Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ScreeĆ¢ā‚¬ļæ½ - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Well I feel better - Iā€™m not the only one who feeds a ā€œselectionā€ of pellets! Mine prefer TOPS and Zupreem, and I mix goldenobles into their chop before I serve it sometimes (they seem to want crunchy bits on occasion). As I only have 2 conures, I portion what Iā€™ll serve over a couple of weeks to keep out and then I vaccuum seal and freeze the rest in 2 week portion sizes. Works well for us - mine seem to get tired of their pellets if they eat the same ones every day :)

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Well I feel better - Iā€™m not the only one who feeds a ā€œselectionā€ of pellets! Mine prefer TOPS and Zupreem, and I mix goldenobles into their chop before I serve it sometimes (they seem to want crunchy bits on occasion). As I only have 2 conures, I portion what Iā€™ll serve over a couple of weeks to keep out and then I vaccuum seal and freeze the rest in 2 week portion sizes. Works well for us - mine seem to get tired of their pellets if they eat the same ones every day :)

Thank you Jen,

Thatā€™s probably whatā€™s going on w/ Levi, heā€™s getting bored w/ the same old.
Iā€™m so glad I asked, I have gotten some get input. :heart:

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Okay, another question. For those of you who freeze your pellets. Do you take out the portion the night before? Also, does it get moist when defrosted?

Thx :)

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Okay, another question. For those of you who freeze your pellets. Do you take out the portion the night before? Also, does it get moist when defrosted?

Thx :)

I'm actually intrigued by this. I just used those air tight cereal containers to keep the pellets in so never froze them

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
I'm no scientist, but my take on keeping pellets in the fridge or freezer is to slow the loss of nutrients from oxidation. Does it work? I have no idea.. but I keep mine either in fridge or freezer. Since there is so little moisture in them they do not have to thaw and come to room temp shortly after being put in a bowl. The whole idea might be overkill.. but WTH... its for our kids.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Isn't overkill exactly what we sign up for when we take in these animals? :D

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I'm no scientist, but my take on keeping pellets in the fridge or freezer is to slow the loss of nutrients from oxidation. Does it work? I have no idea.. but I keep mine either in fridge or freezer. Since there is so little moisture in them they do not have to thaw and come to room temp shortly after being put in a bowl. The whole idea might be overkill.. but WTH... its for our kids.

Thank you for the clarification :smile049:

Than thereā€™s Avicakes & Nutriberries?
I have never tried these, can someone please give me the pros & cons.
The Avicakes, look like seed balls. I avoid giving Levi seed after learning about Fatty Liver Disease, weight gain, nutritional depletion etc...

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Indeed. but honestly like so many others... I missed that clause in the contract.
Nutriberries, a mix of hulled seed and or fruit, veggies, and pellets. I have given them as a healthy treat. Seems to help introduce just another optional mix if u have a picky bird that won't normally eat pellets.
Note all seeds are not bad.. in fact can be a part of the diet but PART is the key word there

Last edited:

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
I might be doing it totally wrong here... but I feed a mix of pellets. Zupreme, Tops, and Harrisons along with daily varied chop mix. Cookie my 31 yo BFA is probably healthier now than he has been in a while.

I also feed a pellet mix of TOPS and Higgins InTune which Tsali loves. I have tried many other pellets with Tsali, but either they are poison or just another toy to play "fetchie" with mom. It is amazing how far he can throw pellets.

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Indeed. but honestly like so many others... I missed that clause in the contract.
Nutriberries, a mix of hulled seed and or fruit, veggies, and pellets. I have given them as a healthy treat. Seems to help introduce just another optional mix if u have a picky bird that won't normally eat pellets.
Note all seeds are not bad.. in fact can be a part of the diet but PART is the key word there

Seems like a nice variety of foods. Iā€™ll try them. Thx :)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Freezing the food retards oxidation, thus keeping the food from going rancid! The oils are what goes bad first. I keep everything in plastic juice bottles. I keep out a week or two for use. This also prevents bugs from hatching! I eat a variety of nuts every day, these I also store in the freezer.
FYI I am a strong believer in high quality seed as a staple, especially sprouted!

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Okay, so I bought pretty much everything that has been suggested here.
Tops, Roudybush, Higgins Intune and Iā€™m also going to pick up Organic Goldn'obles.

Plumsmum, wow, great suggested read, thank you!!

Thank you everyone for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
Iā€™m sure Levi will thank you in the long run. :heart:

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hereā€™s a pellet update :D

He hates the Roudybush & Tops. He just throws it on the floor.
Heā€™s eating the Higgins Intune. So, now I have 3 heā€™ll eat.

Iā€™ll mix the other two w/ his chop mixture so it doesnā€™t go to waste.

Thank you all for your input, much appreciated. ;)

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
LORDY you spent a small fortune on food!!..
Keep in mind that just because its rejected today does not mean its permanent. Ive had em reject something for a month then all the sudden.........
Regardless, I doubt your birdie is going to have a nutrition issue!!!

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
LORDY you spent a small fortune on food!!..
Keep in mind that just because its rejected today does not mean its permanent. Ive had em reject something for a month then all the sudden.........
Regardless, I doubt your birdie is going to have a nutrition issue!!!

Ha! Yes, what ever it takes right. I want to keep him happy & healthy. :)

I believe that thx, I offered him sweet potatoes 4 times before he realized he really likes them. Silly bird. :D

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I got my Nike 2 years ago this December and the previous owner had her on a seed diet. I imediately switched her to the colored Zupreem and she's been on that since. About a month ago I picked some Harrisons power treats with red palm oil and she took to them as if they were nuts. After 2 weeks of giving her the power treats I figured I'd try a cold turkey switch to Harrisons High potency coarse. I think because they looked like the power treats she went right for them...it was another cold turkey swap of food, and she's been on them ever since.

Nike is a grazer and a very picky eater. She doesn't touch anything green and if she had her way would eat only cashews and Brazil nuts but I think that because she loved the power treats and because they look like the diet food, she took to the switch of food pretty well and has not lost a gram of weight.

Speaking of nuts, she had a wellness check today at the vet and I asked him about the nuts...I know I treat her too often with them. He suggested that she have no more than a teaspoon of seeds a day and thought I could give her one nut a day instead of the seeds.....I'd been giving her more than that because she loves them but since Harrisin's says that she can eat 30% of her diet with the Power Treats I think I'm going to take her off the nuts completely except for a special treat.

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I got my Nike 2 years ago this December and the previous owner had her on a seed diet. I imediately switched her to the colored Zupreem and she's been on that since. About a month ago I picked some Harrisons power treats with red palm oil and she took to them as if they were nuts. After 2 weeks of giving her the power treats I figured I'd try a cold turkey switch to Harrisons High potency coarse. I think because they looked like the power treats she went right for them...it was another cold turkey swap of food, and she's been on them ever since.

Nike is a grazer and a very picky eater. She doesn't touch anything green and if she had her way would eat only cashews and Brazil nuts but I think that because she loved the power treats and because they look like the diet food, she took to the switch of food pretty well and has not lost a gram of weight.

Speaking of nuts, she had a wellness check today at the vet and I asked him about the nuts...I know I treat her too often with them. He suggested that she have no more than a teaspoon of seeds a day and thought I could give her one nut a day instead of the seeds.....I'd been giving her more than that because she loves them but since Harrisin's says that she can eat 30% of her diet with the Power Treats I think I'm going to take her off the nuts completely except for a special treat.

Thx Bill_e. Nike is gorgeous!

That's interesting I recently bought Levi the Avicakes & Nutriberries and he refused them both. I haven't tried the Harrison's treats yet. Definitely something I'll consider in the future.

Levi is loving pomegranate at the moment, when they're in season we eat at least one a day. I have offered him some kernels & he's really enjoying them.

Have you offered Nike Arugula? I find Levi prefers the bitter greens and tart fruits.

Most Reactions