Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
What a long scarey trip that was! It was beautiful outside all day, until right when we were leaving, then it snowed like mad, lots of ice and wind. Saw accidents, and near accidents. Good thing we left early, we had to go 30mph on the interstate often. We got there and back all in one piece. I must have said a dozen prayers tonight!

When we got to the airport, I was about jumping out of my skin waiting in line to go to pickup. I could see her covered crate through the window. When I pulled back the blanket to see her she said "hello" and whislted. Then at the rest area, I stayed in the car with her, and she bowed her head for scritches through the bars.

Now she's put cozy in her new cage for the night. I have off the next 3 days to be home with her. (and all my other kids too!) Now for some pictures!

402241_10150525831409527_541749526_8731859_914482696_n.jpg

At the airport

432110_10150526149409527_541749526_8732528_927865643_n.jpg

At her new home!

Oh, also to share her story here, bits of it I think are scattered around. Her original owners bought her from a breeder at around one year of age. She was a baby that hadn't sold earlier. Those owners had a pit bull rescue, and Pepper spent her years there being terrified, flying frightened of leaping, snapping dogs. She hit walls/windows trying to get away. :( They eventually turned her over to the rescue, realizing that they weren't the best situation for her. She spent the last three years at the rescue learning to become more confident in herself, and that she doesn't have to be as afraid. She had bloodtests and xrays. Her beak was found to have small fractures, which were fixed with a polymer, and the vet said will grow out over time. One wing is also less developed than the other. They don't know an exact age for her, but when I first started talking to them, knew she was at least 10. So we decided that the day we got her (January 29th) will be declared her 11th birthday! Happy Birthday Pepper!

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Is Pepper tail-less? Or the pic didn't capture her tail? She's adorable!!!! :)

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Pepper looks adorable :D It looks like she has already settled in really well considering the long trip she has had!! I bet you are over the moon now she is finally home :)

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
Is Pepper tail-less? Or the pic didn't capture her tail? She's adorable!!!! :)

Thanks! Just can't see her tail in the picture. I was having a hard time getting her to be still long enough for a picture, lol.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
They never want to sit still long enough to snap a picture....lol....Usually takes several shots to get a good picture out of them. BUT Willie pose for pictures as he LOVES taking pictures....lol....

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I'm so glad he's at home with you... Gosh... I nearly cried reading her story...

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm so glad you made it there and back safely. The last time I checked the radar last night I said uh oh, because I could see our earlier snow and mess had made it to just east of P'burg by then. And I knew you had probably left your house around then.

Yeah, I have a heck of a time getting good pics of my fids. Rowdy is always on the go. Pete will ham it up for the camera, but if he can reach it, he will grab it with his beak. So unless I want pictures of the inside of his mouth, the only ones I've gotten so far were of him in his cage. I could get farther away ones of him on the parrot tower I guess. Merlin is easy because she pretty much stays where you put her.

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
She is beautiful! Enjoy!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
HI there Pepper. You have a wonderful new home and guardian now. You can feel safe and play with lots of toys and eat yummy foods. Happy birthday too.

welcome5.gif
to your new home Pepper!!

Last edited:

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
Yay! Pepper is home! Looks like she is very comfortable already ...sitting on your lap! That's amazing considering the long day she had! She must know she's home with mommy now!

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Congratulations! I'm glad Pepper is home safely :D

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
Happy Birthday Pepper fromd me and my flock!!!!
I'm glad you got home safe and that you two get along so well.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Congrats Gretchen, it's been a long wait, but so worth it
Pepper knows it's her new home, wonderful to see her so relaxed and calm
I wish you and Pepper a long and pleasant life together.

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
Oh how excitiinggg!! Now when I make toys for Bleu I'll have to make some for Pepper! My boyfriend and I are heavily considering an African Grey for my graduation present ;) OHHHH I've missed so much in the past weeks I've been offline! CONGRATS!

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
So happy for you and for Pepper!! Was meant to be!

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
Some more pictures

398445_10150530536724527_541749526_8744112_1639736797_n.jpg

429447_10150530537179527_541749526_8744116_661809136_n.jpg

Today River was doing his usual thing while we were awake in the bedroom, but not out in the living room. He chatters to himself, some babbling, some words "whatcha doing", "he's a good boy", things like that. We heard River babbling away, then heard Pepper from the next room yell back "WHAT?!" lol. The two of them can keep me laughing all day. Pepper has this "evil laugh" that makes me laugh too.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
How cute!!!! Even better pictures today! While I was working in the bird room yesterday, they all babble on and on. Its funny to hear what they say...especially at the right time, it cracks me up.... ;)

Most Reactions