AustinMatties

Jan 8, 2012
Michigan, USA
Parrots
Double-Yellow headed Amazon
~Coby

Goffin's Cockatoo
~teko
Hello I am going to see about buying a 15year old timneh and the owner sent me a picture, I'm not sure if its just the picture or not, the owner says it is just the lighting but regardless is this a too good to be true rehoming? Should I plan to encounter more problems with this older bird than with younger ones? $400 with her cage and toys

Does it look to you like her eye is swollen or PUFFY?
Of course I am going to check and make sure everything is alright with her but any concerns I should have? Thanks!

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 187
  • imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 174

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I think it could just be the way the lighting is on her face.

OP
A

AustinMatties

Jan 8, 2012
Michigan, USA
Parrots
~Coby

Goffin's Cockatoo
~teko
Good sized cage for her? Anything I should be worried about when taking in a 15year old?

Any things to specifically look for would be great.
I know about checking the eyes and the nostrils and the feet and plucking/injuries but anything else?

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
it might be me, but the pics look un related?? as in one looks like a pet store, and other well a bird in a cage at home, so the home bird might not be handle-able

ask owner if you can visit the bird (a few times) and take it from there

i only have experiance with the one bird and its taken a year for her to settle into our routine (though it does evolve around her)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Maybe the owner took the bird into the pet store for fun when he/she had to buy supplies, or to have nails trimmed or something. If the owner is single, it is hard to get a picture yourself holding a large bird (ask me how I know!).

I just adopted a 21 year old Grey, and she is a joy. I've only had her 3 weeks, but she is very entertaining, cuddly and a good communicator with me. I have learned when she clucks it is her way of saying hello, and when she makes a kissing sound she is saying thank you.

I don't think the price is "too good to be true". That sounds like a reasonable rehoming fee for an older bird with a nice cage, provided it's a nice bird that can be handled. When I was looking for a second bird that is about the price I kept hearing as well for a Grey. I was just never the first person to call about it.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I have a TAG myself and she is wonderful. I think the bird looks OK but I would base the sale on the results of a avian vet exam after you get her home for a few weeks.
Birds can have many physical problems that you will not see on the outside. Cage also looks OK for the bird. Ask about vet papers from previous exams and a DNA certificate if there is one.

OP
A

AustinMatties

Jan 8, 2012
Michigan, USA
Parrots
~Coby

Goffin's Cockatoo
~teko
She did say she was at the pet store with her yesterday when I called

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
A lot of people take their birds shopping with them. I don't because I worry about them being exposed to other birds, but I have been in the pet store when people have come in with their bird. So maybe she handed her phone or camera to someone to take the picture for you. I would like someone to take some pictures of me with my birds, and need to remember to do that next time I have a visitor (one that isn't afraid of them anyway).

And yes, get a vet check right away. I found out a couple of things about my new Grey that the previous owners weren't aware of. I found out she is either blind or close to it. I would have taken her anyway, but once I knew, at least I wasn't accidentally frightening her by approaching her cage anymore. I also found out she probably has a pretty serious disease, and at least now she's being treated for it. And just in case it can be spread to my other birds, it's good I know so I can prevent that. No one is 100% certain how it's spread yet, so I need to be careful.

Most Reactions

Latest posts