Pepper's grip

Allicastery

Apr 3, 2016
Media
South Florida
Parrots
Peppy- male fancy gray tiel.
Baby YCA (unamed)
Ace-the place with the helpful hardware folks (male CAG) Bellini- male peachfaced lovie
When I pick peppy up his toes VERY GENTLY curl around my finger. His grip is barely enough to keep him up on my finger. On top of this, when I move around at normal speed he falls because he does not tighten his grip! When he is sitting on me his front toes point upward (not overly so but he is not holding on. He has a hard time climbing things that don't have a rough texture (his perches and fleece) which I think stresses him out a little bit. Does anyone have any experience with this? (He has about 5 bottlebrush perches in his cage). Sadly, he wont let me take pictures of his feet right now.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
How old is Peppy, and has he always had this problem (with a proper grip)?

I'd suggest using perches with different diameters, some small enough where almost his entire foot could go around. :)

OP
Allicastery

Allicastery

Apr 3, 2016
Media
South Florida
Parrots
Baby YCA (unamed)
Ace-the place with the helpful hardware folks (male CAG) Bellini- male peachfaced lovie
He's only a few months old so I suppose his muscles could just still be getting stronger and forming, although it concerns me he is always slipping. As for the perches I will make sure to get some more :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh, he's a baby! Yes, give him some time to develop those 'talons'. I bet he'll be gripping tightly before you know it. :)

OP
Allicastery

Allicastery

Apr 3, 2016
Media
South Florida
Parrots
Baby YCA (unamed)
Ok, thank you! I think part of the confusion is that my baby CAG has an iron grip! For now until his muscles develop I can probably give him more textured walking spaces if I can get a few more blankets. Again, thank you for your help!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, I agree with Wendy. But if it doesn't improve in a few months, I'd have him checked by a vet for some sort of neurological problem.

Most Reactions

Latest posts