Perch training has begun!

YNAMomma

Sep 18, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Ianto-10yr old M. YN-Amazon,
Toshiko - 10yr old F. YN-Amazon (Mated pair)
So, we have had our Amazons about 3 weeks now and I have been working with them constently to socialize them since they had no trust in people when i got them. Well they now let me pet their beaks, and feet. Also we have began perch training. The first two days they screamed bloody murder and bit my perch like i was crazy to think they would ever step on it. Well I didnt give up cause i didnt want them to think biting the perch would make it go away, and now they step up onto it without complaints!! Usually I have them step up make a circle around the room then put them back so they trust that i will always keep them safe. Well today they both stepped up on the perch together and we took a tour around the house and i even got them into the shower on the perch. (they have never been in one before only bathed by water bottle) Well they didnt complain and even stepped onto a perch i had in the dining room when i asked them and then back to my hand perch. I'm so happy!! They are coming around to the thought of people in contact with them very nicely. Their pevious owner basically gave up on them ever being tame and said they would only be an untame breeding pair. Well i say pa-tooey to that! We are well on our way to loveable fluff-balls! =) I just wanted to share my excitment!:greenyellow::greenyellow:

Last edited:

Louis

Oct 2, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Louis "Mr Parrot" , the Alexandrine
Good on you! :D
My Alexandrine was the same when I got him. The last owner didn't even try to handle him. They said he would never be tame and that you should just stick him in the aviary, as he would never become tame. But I never gave up on him, and now hes the biggest sweet heart. Ive had him for about 4-5months now, he lets everyone pat him, beck/feet. When we first got him he was so terrified, it did take a lot of time, but it was well worth it.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
That's great that you can have a relationship with breeder pairs of amazons,I have a longtime breeder pair of OWAs that i can handle when they don't have eggs and a Panama pair that will step up and are fairly tame, but these birds are the exception . Good luck but a word of advice ,don't try to handle them when ever they start laying. Nothing will bite you worse then a tame breeder that has no fear of humans.What ever you do don't put your face in the nest box when the hen is in there.

Last edited:

Most Reactions