Perfume and scented stuff

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I have the houseguest from hell. I do like her as a person, but she's a terrible houseguest. (Family, from Florida) she wears a crapload of perfume, which I despise. She just left the house and the whole house smells like a French whorehouse. Can this in itself be an irritant to the birds? She knows not to spray hairspray in here, or use aerosol, but I think she might have. She's been here a week and I want to strangle her. The saying that fish and company stink after 3 days is soooooo true. She's scared of birds, so she doesn't go near them thankfully.
This reminds me of that old SNL skit "the thing that wouldn't leave" :( :( :(

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Sorry about your unwanted houseguest! I would think any kind of aerosol or perfume in the air could be extremely harmful for your birds. If your guest is using so much perfume that it annoys you, then it's even worse for your birds. I think I would talk to her again and tell her why it's important she doesn't use these products around your feathered family members.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
As soon as she leaves (like when you say she just left) you could put a box fan in one window at one end of the home and open a window at another end of the home, then pull air through to clear out the bad air, I know its kind of a pain, BUT it works !!

Joe

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Oh, I am so sorry about the rude guest. I totally know the type- I think they have to wear so much because they can barely smell it since the receptors in their nose are damaged from it. Kind of like old people have to turn up the tv real loud to hear it, they have to wear 2 gallons of perfume a day to even smell a light scent from it.

I think so long as the birds are kept away from it as much as possible, a couple days of strong scents in the house won't hurt them. If it's warm enough, open a window near the birds to air things out. And can she not apply that crap in the bathroom with the fan on so it doesn't permeate the whole house?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wow, what a terrible house guest! Thank goodness she is afraid of the birds and isn't in the room with them bothering them. I find it sad that someone would be so disrespectful of someone who has opened their home to them:(
How much longer will she be there?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
That is SO inconsiderate! :( I don't even apply perfume in my own house for the sake of my birds and I only use a light eau de toilette when I get to work which has dissipated completely by the time I get home. If a 'guest' fouled the air in my house like that, I'd certainly have something to say! Grrrr....

I hope she leaves soon for your sake and that of your fids.

Most Reactions