Perjo pooping in her food bowl

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
She's done this quite often, when the bowl isn't in the bracket it's one of her favorite spots in the cage for some reason. But she still perches on the edge of the bowl when it's there. And she poops in it. Now I've never seen her eat the poop in the bowl, but it kind of sucks b/c it essentially wastes the bowl of food. She probalby picks around it if she even goes back in after she poops but it's like sigh, really Perjo.

Is this common, just a trivial thing they do b/c they like to perch where they like to perch?

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Yes. One will poo where the pot is.

Nigel poos over a dish on his play stand so I removed the dish and put it elsewhere, he still poos there!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Now and in the past I've had some who do, some who don't.

Robin is really bad about it. For many years I used to use hooded ceramic covered crocks with him so that he couldn't perch on the bowl. They were a pain to clean and see inside to see if dry food or water needed replacing. With his new cage, I finally tossed the crocks and decided to use the ss bowls that came with the cage. He kept pooping in one food bowl in a certain area. Thankfully not the water. I moved that bowl to the back ring where he doesn't like to lounge, and it stays clean most days. He still likes to sit on the front ring and poop there.

Luckily Raven never sits on his bowls. Griffin didn't used to ever, but now he is starting to :(. Then budgies just poop everywhere like finches lol.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
My GCC often will perch above her food bowl/water bowl and poop in it. For awhile, it was a huge issue with her water bowl. So I went to my favourite online bird store here in Canada and ordered a wooden platform to put above her bowls. She enjoys destroying them and it prevents her from accidentally destroying her food or water.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Kings cages sell little bolt on roofs or hood that you can put over perjos bowls

The issue is she loves the one corner of the cage and perches on the bowl bracket or the bowl when it's inserted. A cover would do no good b/c she would not be able to get to her food. I need to use the bowl space on the other side, she doesn't sit there as often and see how it goes.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
DRB, have you thought about placing a platform like this over it?: Strawberry Shred and Chew Parrot and Bird Toys from Things for Wings. It may become a new favourite perching/chewing opportunity. You can place it above the food bowl in a way where there's still room to go underneath and eat, but because it's above the food bowl I think it triggers an almost, "I need to be on that higher spot" kind of instinct. It curbed the pooping in the water and food bowl for my birds.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Poop in food or water bowls is not a good thing and could cause the parrot to ingest harmful bacteria, as they root around in their food bowls ( in water the bad stuff gets spread almost immediately). Either move the bowl to a place where the bird does not usually perch or move it to a place where they can not roost. Maxie , my BeeBee parrot had to have his food bowl near the roof of his cage to prevent him from pooping in the bowl.

Most Reactions

Latest posts