Pets that hate you...

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
ok i just googled them, i cant believe that!
they are like the giant spiders on harry potter ;) LOL

why would anyone want to live in australia hahaha :p

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
That bird eating spider pic made me throw up a little. There just isnt a can of raid big enough!
Thanks. Nightmares until the end of time.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
How did this turn into a GIANT SPIDER THREAD?! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I am arachnophobic. HEEBY JEEBIES!

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Oscar and Female Eclectus- Scarlet
Also Tab, bird eating spiders are just huge tarantulas that live in Queensland lol

154593d1271597403-bird-eating-spider-bird_eating_spider.jpg

Welcome to Australia.

Oh!! Wow!!
I want to leave Australia now!! Haha
This is creepy! It's a golden orb, there the ones that freaked me out up in Queensland!

OP
Thingamagigs

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
Do you like never leaving the house because of rain? :p

I lived in Mackay... I was stuck inside for 6 months out of the year. Was not happy! Much happier in brisbane :)

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
wow! one day i would to visit australia and see more than sydney but those spiders freak me out!! what do you do if they are in your backyard? or is that very rare? ever in the home? one time there was a scorpion in my old apartment!! it was starting to climb the wall!! i am not sure if it was someone's lost pet, but it was insanely strange. killed it with a rolled up newspaper.

i got nightmares looking at those big spiders lol! i guess i am a sissy! those spiders scare the heck out of me. how do you handle a tarantula? doesn't it bite?

i heard there is a really cool city in australia that has a lot of music, shops, and bars... kind of like an austin, tx but in australia.. can't remember the name atm.

Last edited:

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
And I'm moving to Cairns in a few years.....

Why would you want to move to Cairns. Can't swim at the beaches because the crocodiles or marine stingers get you, can't go to fresh water swimming because you could step on a stone fish. And you can't go to the rainforest because the stinging trees will get you. Not to mention the huge snakes that swallow kangaroos. Oh & the cyclones. :p

Inverse

Nov 16, 2012
Exmouth, Western Australia
Parrots
Rainbow Lorikeet
I live in the northwest already so snakes, stingers, cyclones and stonefish are a part of life here.
I'm a dive instructor so I'll get year round work in Cairns, plus I LOVE the tropics, the rain forest, the amazing storms and weather, the native birds in my garden and all the other amazing stuff that's up there.
Plus, for the price of a house in WA, I could buy two in QLD.

OP
Thingamagigs

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
wow! one day i would to visit australia and see more than sydney but those spiders freak me out!! what do you do if they are in your backyard? or is that very rare? ever in the home? one time there was a scorpion in my old apartment!! it was starting to climb the wall!! i am not sure if it was someone's lost pet, but it was insanely strange. killed it with a rolled up newspaper.

i got nightmares looking at those big spiders lol! i guess i am a sissy! those spiders scare the heck out of me. how do you handle a tarantula? doesn't it bite?

i heard there is a really cool city in australia that has a lot of music, shops, and bars... kind of like an austin, tx but in australia.. can't remember the name atm.

Orb weavers and other large web spiders like the one eating the finch are VERY common in Australia especially in the tropics. I believe they are found pretty much all over the world in varying species and subspecies and sizes... the tropical specimens growing to much larger sizes. When they densely populate an area, their webs can form huge almost community type structures... that are impossible to walk through or around. They each build an enormous, very thick, larger-than-human sized web... like this...

Golden+orb+weaver+in+web+069.JPG

The large ones are the females, the males are much smaller. They can build these impressive webs over night (most species usually rebuild their web daily) and sometimes you are unaware they are there until you walk into the extremely thick and sticky web and have something large and heavy thud into your body and then become un- locatable. LOL

Watch this to strengthen those nightmares... these spiders are similar to the finch eater...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBffJ4NkJik]Weird True & Freaky: Covered in Spiders - YouTube[/ame]

We used to have a HUGE female "barn spider" type orb weaver at our front door. She would build her web every afternoon and dismantle it at dawn. I wanted to take her with me when I moved :p I must have a photo of her around somewhere, she was magnificent. I used to feed her :p Asian house geckoes, crickets, cicada, moths. I miss our Charlotte LOL

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
charlotte... out of charlottes web? LOL! :D that was my favourite movie as a child :p

our orb spiders webs are gold? so they are golden orbs yes?

we have lots of daddy long legs haha ;)

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Also Tab, bird eating spiders are just huge tarantulas that live in Queensland lol

154593d1271597403-bird-eating-spider-bird_eating_spider.jpg

Welcome to Australia.

OMG *Shudder*

And Wendy, that spider is CRAZY!!!!!!! I like it, in a scary kind of way, I'd like to hold it just to say I have, but I would be terrified!

To those freaking out about coming to Aus, don't worry! :p There are much worse things then the spiders... hahahahhaa. Brown snakes are scary, they won't just go into hiding if you walk near them, they'll chase you! And they are incredibly dangerous! Eeeeeep. But I love Australia, wouldn't want to be anywhere else lol, even with all of our creepy crawlies!

And as for the original topic, I had a bird that hated me. :( She hated ALL people, and was so distressed if you would even walk outside, no where near her cage. We ended up re-homing her to a huge aviary at a friends house with other birds, and she was much more calmer and not stressed, so I was happy she was happy, but I miss her.
I guess my bunny hazel hates me too. She has bonded to the other rabbit, and doesn't like me! but I love her and give her cuddles even though she scratches me all up every time lol!

OP
Thingamagigs

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
We have loads of different orb weaving species here Tab :D I am not sure about the gold web being golden orbs? I guess so! :D The golden webs are beautiful! Especially when they catch the dew early in the morning :)

Yep, just like charlotte from the book! I believe it was supposed to be the american version of the spider we had out the front of our house. However I believe they dont get anywhere near as big as she was in America LOL if she rolled up into a ball she would have been the size of a golf ball.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
When the spiders start making their webs i will take some pictures of them! as much as i dislike them, i do love their golden webs, very pretty, and so strong! :p

hahaha did she used to write words in her web as well? ;) ahh thats way too big! :p

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
the only pets i ever had who 'hated' me (it was temporary hatred based on fear) are just oh-so-boring after all these exotic photos. my unsocialized rescue dogs used to bite me......go to work with a black eye from being muzzle punched by a chihuahua and try explaining that one.....
my tiniest chi was so terrified she once bit me to the point my hand bled all over my porch and i had to hose the porch and siding. it was gross.
they are all these cute little sweet lap dogs who adore me now so it sounds far out. A fearful, unsocialized dog can seem pretty 'hateful' though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts