PetSmart Buy

OP
M

MadDog

Nov 17, 2010
I have yet another question. lol I've just started reading about parrotlets and was wondering how they are as companion birds. I've heard that even hand raised love birds can turn out to be temperamental and was wondering if parrotlets were the same.

lexilu

Sep 2, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Bob and Tom my parakeets
Your cage sounds very nice. I know many people who have 3-4 parakeets in a cage your size and they do very well. Especially if your going to have the keet out of the cage a good portion of the day. I have 2 keets in a 18x18x28 and I tried to put them in a larger cage and they continue to fly to the old one and now I can't get them to even go in the new one that is larger. Mine are out a lot too and I think they like the security of the old cage and seem happier in it.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Have you looked into a Lineolated Parakeet (linnie). They are very cute and cuddly and don't have a long tail.....will fit even better in the cage! :)

OP
M

MadDog

Nov 17, 2010
Thanks for all the great advice!! I looked into parrotlets more and I don't think they are going to be the bird for me. They don't seem to be very cuddly, which is what I'm looking for. How do Lineolated Parakeets tend to be. I know there are exceptions, but over all do they tend to be very cuddly birds? I really want a blue crowned conure, but I don't have the cage for one. I figured I could find another cuddly species that would fit the cage I had.

rlchic93

Apr 10, 2011
Southern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue capped pionus - Bill

Normal cockatiel - Jack

Blue budgie - Tiki
I have a slightly different take on this. My "cuddliest" bird would actually be my cockatiel, I got him when he was 14 and he is now almost 20 my little old man loves to sit on my shoulder, he also loves to play with little toys and things outside of his cage. Also one of my favorite things is that he sings he can mimick (spelling sorry) the most beautiful mockingbird you will ever hear. Just another little piece to ad he was a chain store baby who didn't get the attention he needed and I also got him very late in his life, however from my personal experience a breeder's babies usually are more friendly but working with my old man has been so rewarding.

OP
M

MadDog

Nov 17, 2010
Thank you so much for the input!! :) Cockatiel's are another bird I've been looking into, but I'm not sure if my cage is big enough for one. I've heard great things about them though.

TeakwoodBirdHouse

Sep 20, 2011
Largo, Florida
I have heard many stories, both good & bad, about chain store birds. I would encourage anyone who asks that they should adopt a bird from either the SPCA, humane society, or any other shelter. These places are full of unwanted birds. Many of which are there for reasons not related to their behavior. A common myth is that all shelter birds are behavior problems. Not so. Many are there because of people problems...moving, cannot (or will not) care for bird, etc. And many of these birds are tamed, and trained, already. Yes, some are behavior problems, but, the staff at these places know that, and will not give anyone a bird that they cannot handle. So, please, if you want a new bird, check out the shelters. You might be very pleasantly surprised! "Opt to Adopt!"

OP
M

MadDog

Nov 17, 2010
Thanks for that great advice! I will try my best to adopt before I go to the pet store! :)

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
I would definitely not buy from a pet store.I bought 2 lovebirds from a pet store and they are terrified and won't let me touch them or anything.I have another lovebird that I bought from a breeder and hes the sweetest thing you'd ever meet.Buying from a breeder is much better.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
My daughter has a linnie (lineolated parakeet) She is adorable and very, very cuddly. I think that if you get one as a baby then you will have great luck with a cuddly bird. She takes a shower with my daughter and literally lays in her hand while the water sprays on her! She has already learned to make "kissy" noises when she wants my daughters attention (this was the first thing she taught her) She has started to mumble and will probably learn to say some words. I love a larger bird and always tell my daughter my perfect bird would be a linnie personality in an amazon size body! Lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts