PetSmart is horrible!

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but anyway, I went to PetSmart to pick up some eggfood and all the employee's were standing in a circle, I looked over and what do I see? I see an employee picking a lizard up by the tail to clean its cage, but then the tail comes off. That's not even the worst part, they started to laugh! That just proves that the employees don't care about the animals.

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
OMG! I can't understand how people can be so heartless. Especially people that are suppose to work with animals for a living!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
they need slapping! sorry to be so grrrr about this, i'm sure they know all about the lizard growing a new tail back, and think its just harmless fun, but i am sure the lizard would feel pain

personally write a letter, detailing what the employees look like an date/time and send 1 to manager of the store and another to head office
you don't need to include why you was at the store if you do not want to be identified

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
1 x Scarlet Macaw, 2 x DYHA's
GgGRrR!!! They obviously planned to get their thrills from this. Otherwise, why would all of them be gathered around in a circle just to clean the lizard's enclosure?!? Is this a franchise? With the US economy the way it is, surely they can find a better calibre of employees! Imagine if you bought something there, you'd be paying these hoodlums to get their kicks from such cheap thrills as this...

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
they need slapping! sorry to be so grrrr about this, i'm sure they know all about the lizard growing a new tail back, and think its just harmless fun, but i am sure the lizard would feel pain

personally write a letter, detailing what the employees look like an date/time and send 1 to manager of the store and another to head office
you don't need to include why you was at the store if you do not want to be identified

I totally agree, Sue! That's what I would do.

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
That's horrible.I have seen geckos from the pet store I got mine,with their tails gone and it looks so horrible.Poor lizard I think in pet stores the employees need to have some experience with the section they're working in.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I know they definitely need experience, then they claim to have a bird expert but he is never in, and when he is, he doesn't even know the difference between a young budgie and an old one, the difference between a sick bird and a cold one, or the difference between a young sun conure and an older jenday. I'm 15 and I could out smart everyone in that store combined.

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Yeah, stick it to them! Tell management how these kids have too much free time on their hands, how they are more pre-occupied with participating in their group fun bonding session rather than serving the customer (you), how they are damaging the "goods", how the reptile-keeping industry is now a reputable industry and no longer the macho/twisted/gothic/cruel domain that these kids still think it is, and what a poor reputation they have created for their company's brand name.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Well the problem with that is, I think one of the people that was in the group was the manager of the store, so what ever I say he is going to say it didn't happen.

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
If this is a franchise chain, head office should know that this branch is a renegade store that is lowering the market value of their franchise brand.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I hate big pet chains. Our pets at home is usually pretty horrific here in the UK. Pets dying not long after they get home, not kept in brilliant conditions, people not being vetted before taking them home.

We did get Annie from them and we certainly don't regret that, but if I can avoid it I certainly avoid the big chains and go for the smaller private stores that are more interested in the animals+products rather than just making sales to meet X critera by the end of the month. A job for a job, rather than the actual love of the job. Eurg. grinds my gears to hear of stories like that. :mad:

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
So how do I go about sending the letter?

pamcor57

Mar 22, 2012
Las Vegas
Parrots
B&G Macaws &
Parakeets
I wouldnt have left until I had a word or three with the supervisor about what I just seen. I have seen birds flying free at this same company (Canarys and Finches), And the unsanitary way their bird cages are kept....very dirty. Not counting that they keep sick birds in with healthy ones....I've seen it. I even brought it to their attention, all they said is that those birds that looked sick are just tired!

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
That's exactly what they tell me. I didn't have time to talk to them, I had to get home to feed my baby birds.

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Send your letter to:

Bruce Thorn
Senior Vice President, Store Operations and Services
Petsmart Corporate Office,
19601 North 27th Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85027

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Great thanks, I will get on that as soon as I can.

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
I'm just curious as to why they were cleaning the reptile cage out in the open during a time that customers would be coming in. I worked at a PetsMart and we had to have the daily cleaning done before we opened. You need to get ahold of the general manager and complain. They will do something about it. Chain pet stores are horrible about things like that. Thankfully, my store didn't have any cruelty other than what happened to my parrot.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Well I don't know if they were actually cleaning it but if they weren't then they just mutilated the poor lizard for nothing.

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Ugh..unfortunately alot of these places just think of these as "product". I'll make a horrible confession here, I used to work for Wal-mart. I was stocking shelves when the Pet Dept manager left for another job outside the company. I jumped at that chance but didn't get the position. There was alot of futzing around filling it and in the meantime no one was looking after the fish so I stepped up and sort of took over. Now I will agree that the tank system there stinks. Anyhow something happened with the one they promoted so I was the second choice and I got it. My fish delivery lady was awesome, she cared about the fish and gave me alot of good advice and such when I took over. She didn't work for the supply place, she was an outside vendor. The actual company the fish came from..I can't say much good about them. It's bad when they send you a bag of fish and the medicine to treat them. I could have refused fish but I would have to refuse the whole order.

Despite having a system where the same water flows through all tanks, I would take the fish, treat them and luckily the problem cleared up and didn't spread. Of course the medicine was going to all the tanks..

I couldn't be there 24/7 so I never knew what I would come in to in the morning. I would sometimes come in to find open cans of fish food sitting around because some "caring" customer was convinced these fish were never cared for and would dump extra food in the tanks. I would come in to find a big fat mess in the Oscar tank each morning because someone thought it would be "fun" to scoop fish from other tanks and toss them in with the oscars. (found out it was the guy stocking in the area at nights and who knows who else was in on it) I had people from other areas who was have to come over and get fish for customers..working with shampoo and fertilizer and not washing their hands first..tying the bag with no air..blowing in the bag to fill it up..the list could go on. Heck even an associate I got that was a 3 year pets associate from other store..my first day with her caught her with all the labels off she was going to rearrange the tanks (and put the puffers in with the tiger barbs)..another time I caught her using glass cleaner on the front of the tanks..she finally left, got "recruited" by Petco to be their "aquatics spe******t" ..ok fine good go..and not long before she left I started having so many problems with my water quality and fish dying. It got so bad they decided to get rid of fish in my store and some others.

Fast forward two or so years later..pets has moved to the other side of the store..no fish tanks..no sink..a new modular comes down for the aquarium supplies and what do I see on it? Spaces on the shelves for bettas. On the shelf..just like fish food. Yeah they come in a cup but if they don't sell..I have to haul them to the bathroom to do water changes? Made me so mad but luckily they must have come to their senses about that..I hope..

Anyhow I am unemployed and I would be *delighted* to go work with animals and fish all day..these darn heartless punk kids can go flip burgers.

Sadie

Feb 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Parrots
Scout- SI Eclectus
My father in law got a GCC there that you could tell was obviously neglected or even tortured by the staff. I have never supported them. If your ever bored and are looking for a laugh though go in and ask about a particular pet your "interested" in getting! Everything from cage size to food its pretty funny! They are seriously clueless and its a shame because parents and first timers really think this is good advice!

Most Reactions

Latest posts