Pic of Raven's NEW cage!

jbirge

Dec 9, 2013
Media
Montrose Colorado
Parrots
Double Yellow Amazon
I have one just like it's great served me and Pedro (my Amazon) well until I stumbled across a similar one 33% larger on clearance at Petco for $100. I leave the old one at my sisters house for when she babysits....John

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Check back a little later... I'll post pics of the WHOLE set up when I get home!! :)

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Here it is set up similar to how the dometop was. It was a little challenge to position the perches and the foraging coconut (didn't fit like before) since the inside roof of the playtop is flat. Stating the obvious lol, but you don't always realize until you start setting up! Look who's "modeling" Raven's cage... Raven is off somewhere lol.

Here is the whole set up with Griffin's cage to the left. Robin is "across the street" on the opposite wall, Twigs my Budgie is in the other part of the room.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I tried the toy hook, but it was leaning crooked - déjà vu (just like Griffin's was that had to get replaced)! Although this cage is much better quality, it still had a crooked weld there, so I need to call them tomorrow and get a replacement. Ugh.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
That's awesome! Love it! I almost got a play top for Zilla, but decided on the dome top (I love the top door that opens out to a "shelf" for her to eat on) And I already knew I was going to hang things for her to climb and play on. Sometimes I wish she could have both :eek:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
WOW. Griffin is much larger than I thought! Somehow I envisioned him about the size of a large cockatiel.

That looks like a very fun and roomy cage for your "besties".

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I so love their set up! It looks amazing:)
I cannot believe you are having trouble again with a new cage part...argh, hopefully they get the new part sent to you quickly:(

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
WOW. Griffin is much larger than I thought! Somehow I envisioned him about the size of a large cockatiel.

I think the pic is misleading. Griffin is still smaller than a sennie isn't he Julie?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What a terrific setup, so many stimulating and chewable toys!!

Looks so great I'm moving in! :D

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's awesome! Love it! I almost got a play top for Zilla, but decided on the dome top (I love the top door that opens out to a "shelf" for her to eat on) And I already knew I was going to hang things for her to climb and play on. Sometimes I wish she could have both :eek:

Thanks :). I've mostly had dometop cages. I like them because they're more roomy and open as compared to the same size playtop. I've never had one that had the 'drawbridge' shelf door. I do like that feature.

I really like the playtop styles these days. Even though I admit they're dark inside cause of the top tray, another tray to clean, and less roomy than their dometop counterparts. I could leave the top tray out, but then poop falls on everything inside, which IS a plus of the playtop tray...

Yeah, Poicephalus are chunky, stocky little guys. Their head and beak are big for their body too (kind of like how lovebirds are proportionately built).

I think the "average" tiel is about 90g. I read Ruppell's range from 105-165g :eek: I thought wow such a wide range! My scale broke down and haven't gotten a new one yet :52:. I haven't weighed him since he was 3 months old, but I know he's a smaller one.

It's funny, they're not quite sure about the new cage yet! They're going "hmm... now 'something' here is different..." Lol.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Karen, yes Griffin is smaller than most Sennies. The other person I know with Ruppell's parrot has a really big one! It's a female. I don't think gender has anything to do with it as much as genetics do.

Griffin has Napoleon complex...

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Yeah, Poicephalus are chunky, stocky little guys. Their head and beak are big for their body too (kind of like how lovebirds are proportionately built).

I think the "average" tiel is about 90g. I read Ruppell's range from 105-165g :eek: I thought wow such a wide range! My scale broke down and haven't gotten a new one yet :52:. I haven't weighed him since he was 3 months old, but I know he's a smaller one.

It's funny, they're not quite sure about the new cage yet! They're going "hmm... now 'something' here is different..." Lol.

That makes Raven quite a big boy (that other pic of them, Raven is a lot bigger). Is Robin of similar size to Griffin then? I just envisioned pois as little guys for some reason (I don't know that I've seen any/many in real life).

What kind of scale did you have? I just use the (digital) kitchen scale to weigh Kiwi. Probably not 100% accurate, but it allows me to monitor his weight for major fluctuations without needing a expensive perch scale I have to store somewhere:).

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That makes Raven quite a big boy (that other pic of them, Raven is a lot bigger). Is Robin of similar size to Griffin then? I just envisioned pois as little guys for some reason (I don't know that I've seen any/many in real life).

What kind of scale did you have? I just use the (digital) kitchen scale to weigh Kiwi. Probably not 100% accurate, but it allows me to monitor his weight for major fluctuations without needing a expensive perch scale I have to store somewhere:).

Raven is now about 230g at 15 months and will still grow til about 2 years old. So depending on the type of Pionus they're sized about like the smallest Amazons 200-300g sometimes a little more for Maximillians.

I think probably the majority of Poicephalus (not counting the larger Jardines or Capes) are probably about 125-135g? Robin is a little smaller. Both my Poi boys are just small framed guys ;) THAT'S why they have to act tough LOL!

The last digital gram scale I had was a cheapy from Target. It was a food scale with a flat platform. It maybe lasted 6 months? :(. At first it was okay, then it started only displaying certain numbers. After a while I just used it to see fluctuations like you. That's all it was good for, then it just died one day.

Most Reactions