OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Yep, they were the only pair I had. There were other males at times (Godzilla and Blue, AKA #1 and #5) but never any other female.

I decided not to handfeed because Bud was doing a great job at it and Bud didn't object to me handling the babies daily (A couple times she even came and fed them while I was handling them. She was a great mama. :D). At the end the babies were attached to humans anyway.

I put the nest back in a couple years later and produced me another 5 eggs but they all died in the eggs. Then a few months later I had to have her put down for sickness. Didn't get another female budgie since.

Did she get sick while she was having chicks? I had one that did the same. I think she was over whelmed and exhausted. She was mean too, killed two males that was with her. Had her for a long time....

Irissama

Feb 11, 2011
Parrots
4 Budgerigars, 1 Kakariki
Did she get sick while she was having chicks? I had one that did the same. I think she was over whelmed and exhausted. She was mean too, killed two males that was with her. Had her for a long time....
Nope. She was fine while she had chicks actually. But she always had some sort of diarrhea. They never figured out what it was. She lived all her life with it and it was quite a mess to clean. She wasn't overly violent with males, never drew a single drop of blood. She just put them in their place. :p Pat had done a great job helping out with the babies.

I had her put down past summer. I came back home and she was exhausted, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink. I took her to the vet and had her put down since the vet had no idea what was wrong with her again. Figured it was better than trying out a ton of costly "Maybe this might work" medicine only to have her die during the night. She died young but she had a full life.

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
How's your Karariki??? I just found out there's a breeder near by me that raises them. And nope I can't get one. My partner and I had a long conversation last night. Here's the final decision. I must get rid of my last saltwater reef tank and I'm given ok to a pair of Soloman Island Eclectus, no Moluccan....My partner been bothering me about a pair of Eclectus for many years so I'm giving in. Then no more birds after that. We sat down and I give specific instructions how the Eclectus should be taken care of. We're been shopping at different grocery stores around checking out all the produce cause we will have more mouth to feed with more specific diet. Talked about how we gonna prepare their food, etc etc. Lots of think about!!!!

Irissama

Feb 11, 2011
Parrots
My Kakariki's great! We don't isolate her, but we just turn around and ignore her when she does her matey thing. Can't do much about her nature. :) I'm amazed at how fast that bird is... She likes dodging you. Just had to chase her around the kitchen while typing this. It's like she likes to play tag or something.

Eclectus looks like really nice big birds!! :D If I ever get a big parrot, I think I wanna go for something cute like that or an African Gray. But for now, budgies and kakarikis are more than enough.

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Eclectus is diet specific birds. That's why we have the discussion about them. Sometimes ignoring them wont work.... I went through it too many times.... just be watchful of her! :)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Cindy Lou & Levi are gorgeous! I love that v stripe it is so original and cute.:D

I am sure they will be very happy in your home - part of the big fid family.:D

Alexs Jems

Feb 28, 2011
Unfortunately there's a lot of people out there like that. I live in the country and my neighbors used to get a dog.

Irissama

Feb 11, 2011
Parrots
Dog? What's dogs got to do with it? I don't get it...

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I didn't get it either???

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Unfortunately there's a lot of people out there like that. I live in the country and my neighbors used to get a dog.
f4f788b9.gif

He posted on other threads about fish and what not as well.
rules-1.gif

Most Reactions

Latest posts