Taming parakeets

liz180

Feb 26, 2011
Wisconsin
Parrots
3 senegal parrots
2 parakeets
My husband and I have had senegal parrots for approximately 5 yrs now. They talk with us, hang out with us, shower with us, and very rarely bite. Of course they used to bite quite often before we all got used to each other.

So, I thought taming parakeets wouldn't be much more difficult than the senegals, but that has not been the case. We've had 3 parakeets for approximately a year now. I admit I don't work with them as much as the senegals. All 3 parakeets are in the same cage. They get along beautifully. Everytime I try to work with them, I feel like I'm just terrorizing them and I give up.

So here's my question: Is it more difficult to work with them because they are so social with one another? Is it possible to form a relationship with them without separating them? I'm not afraid of getting bit, I just don't want them to stress out. Even after a year they still freak out when we feed/water them.

In the end, I'm happy if they're happy, but it would be nice to be able to have them out (I've avoided clipping their wings), but since they don't step up, I would never be able to get them back in the cage.

Any insight/advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I have two who are bonded, and it does make a difference to taming. Taming is more difficult with two or more in the same cage. It can be done, but it requires a lot of time. I let my two out every day, and have them step up on a perch to put them back. I actually don't have to do that often, as they go back on their own, most days. They're happy together, so I don't insist they spend time with me. We all hang out in the same room, and that's fine for all of us. It'd odd that they still freak when you feed and water, though. Mine are quite content with my hands in the cage, just not on them...LOL!

Irissama

Feb 11, 2011
Parrots
4 Budgerigars, 1 Kakariki
Yea, you made things a bit difficult by getting a lot at a time. It usually works better by getting just one, taming it good, then buying it a buddy. The tame budgie will make things easier for the newbie by showing off that the human isn't bad.

Also, clipped wings make the taming process much easier. If you're not OK with that, you can let them grow back later when they are tamed. But it adds a little "I can rely on the human to carry me around" factor. AND it makes them easier to catch when they get scared!

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I clipped when I was trying to tame them. I think it made them more scared of me, and easier to freak out. If you really want to tame them, you could try clipping, but if you're happy just letting them have each other, let them fly. Budgies seem to take such joy in flying...:)

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
I wouldn't really know but three of mine are tame, and they live in a flock. I have handled them since they were 2 weeks old though, so that's probably why. They helped with taming Marigold and Skye, before the chicks came they were very wild.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Like what was mentioned above. Its harder to tame when there's multiple. Its easier to tame if you separate them and have their wings clipped. Good luck!!! :)

OP
L

liz180

Feb 26, 2011
Wisconsin
Parrots
3 senegal parrots
2 parakeets
We have cats too, otherwise I wouldn't be so concerned about getting them back into the cages. I suppose clipping their wings is the next step if I want them to learn to step up.

We've clipped the senegal's periodically when they get too wild and crazy. The first two years they would go after one another when they could fly, and clipping calmed them down. Now they really don't fly too much, just hang out on top of the cages, so we've let them grow out.

I'll just have to load up on treats and maybe work with them in a quite room....

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Having just one would be a lot easier to tame that is right.

For me, I have two I rescued and adopted two more. I just let my keets be, I don't bother training them or taming them. The two I rescued I did used to clip them and trained them. So when they get out of their cage and flies around, eventually when they get tired they will step up my fingers cause they know they have no where to go. At least I can bathe them without them drawing blood. The two new ones, the female Cindy Lou bites hard and draw blood, Levi is pretty good, he seems easily tamed. I remove all the birds from my aviary and give everyone a good bath in the tub except one Cockatiel that can not be handled at all since day one. I tried everything with him and kinda give up and let him be since he's in the aviary anyway....I can not touch him without him bitting the heck out of me and won't let go, that's the worst....I've trained wild ones before but this one is a tough cookie. So I just let them be pretty in the aviary. So now I have only two meanie, one Cockatiel and one Parakeet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts