Pin feather. Do I preen?

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo!
I noticed today Rocky had a pin feather on his neck, he can't seem to reach it.
Do I "preen" it? If so, how?
Cheers, Mike :)

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I get my Hahns face, head and neck feathers for him. I feel with my fingernail for the sheaths sturdiness then gently crack it if it gives easily. I then continue looking for more until he gets tired of it or I run out of feathers. Afterwards I blow the area to clean off the cracked sheaths.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I do the same thing as goalerjones. At first it can be a little scary, if you get to the blood they might whip around and try to bite you or scream, it hurts when we accidentally pinch the blood. Rosie never bites me hard but it always surprises me. Afterwords she almost immediately puffs out her face and leans towards me to preen her more. Sometimes Rosie bows her head really low as I'm petting her head so I get a good view and don't have to worry about hurting her on accident.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
They'll let you know if it's not" ripe " yet. yes it does hurt . A good 'mate" learns that quick. If you pay close attention , they'll "lead" to the ones they want you to get.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
While on the subject, preening. Preening is a everyday event between mates, it's not something they do only when they have pin feathers. If you want to bond with your fid, then learn to preen and do it everyday. It's the act of searching that leads to bonding. My pet hen and i preen each other several times a day , everyday. You don't have to find any thing, just carefully take your time and look. 90% of the time i won't "pick" at a feather but systematically search her head,face,under the beak, etc. We know where the "pinners" are and discuss every day about if they're "ready" or not. You can explore all the way to the skin if you like but the act of looking is what creates the bond. If they're preening you, that also means they want it from you. It has nothing to do with petting,scratching , that sort of thing. It's the unselfish act of caring enough to look. Just my .02 worth.

Last edited:

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I am not allowed to preen Darcy, but he HAS to preen me!

Most Reactions

Latest posts