Pineapple conure always biting?

paulinexo

Oct 7, 2014
I recently got a pineapple conure 3 days ago. He is approx. 18 months old and has been in the pet shop for 3 months. Therefore, he is used to people always coming up to him, but when you stick a finger in his cage he will bite. (In the pet store it wasn't hard, it was just a nip. Now at home its really hard.) Also, when I get him on his stick and I try to use my finger to get him to step up he will bite really hard. He bites anything that gets close to his mouth, really hard. When I get him to go on the back of my hand (making a fist) he climbs up to my shoulder and is fine and doesn't bite at all. He's sweet when he's on you, but he bites really hard when getting anything close to him. How do I stop this? He also lets us pet him.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Patience and time is what you need.....even though he was used to people in the pet shop, he's only been with you for a few days.....give him a chance to get used to you & his new surroundings.....he's trying to meet you half way, he just doesn't like fingers yet.....

Good luck.....

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Scold him for biting in a quiet and stern voice looking in his eyes. Give him a very dirty look. :) Make sure that he understands that you are very unhappy with him biting you. Hope it would help. This technique really helped my with my gcc in beginning when he was quite nippy - now he never ever bites me. I wouldn't start this before establishing a bond with him though, so you might have to wait another few weeks.

OP
P

paulinexo

Oct 7, 2014
Thank you for the suggestions, I'll let him get used to us first. He's currently on my shoulder right now :)

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Also try to learn how to read how your bird feels. Does your bird actually want to come out, step up, or be handled? If not, you'll get a nice chomp. Conures are very beaky birds and often use their beak to communicate their pleasure or displeasure with your behaviour towards them.

Once you take time to learn your bird, you will eventually reach a point where you know you'll receive a bite or you'll know you can push the issue without consequence. But always take their feelings into consideration - we accidentally become selfish when we want cuddle/play time and try to force it without realizing.

Congrats on the new addition :)

robert0406

Oct 12, 2014
I was in the same situation when I first gcc. What helps a lot is trying it to touch the tip of a chopstick for reward. Eventually you will be able to get them to step up without biting. By making them have to step onto your finger to touch the stick and get a reward. You may also want to look into clicker training.

Most Reactions

Latest posts