Pinecone from the grocery store

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
My partner came home from the grocery store and I was going to bake it and give it to Sammie, but I wanted to check here first.

I know pinecones from craft stores are sometimes treated, which got me wondering about this one. It doesn't look treated, but I wondered if anyone here had gotten a pinecone from a grocery store.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Well I couldn't really trust something unless I was certain about it's origin and how it's been treated. My first guess is that a pinecone at a supermarket is there for 'craft' purposes, and that would be a red flag to me that is may have been chemically treated, or even has pesticide residue on it. Far safer to collect them yourself from known source and known history or from a pet safe site. That's just my 2 cents and I give my birds pinecones all the time.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I agree with Gary....

I was at the craft store yesterday and saw some nice wicker baskets- perfect for filling with foot toys and such for Chili the pink fluff monster, but I happened to look at the tags and saw a warning that it had been treated and something about a carcinogen (?!??) :eek: so there went that idea!!

I believe mysafebirdstore.com has bird-safe pine cones you can buy...or if you have trees nearby that you can collect them from (and you know they haven't been sprayed with any pesticides) then I would do that... Better safe than sorry! :)

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Me three. I would think the mere fact that they are sold between food items would require them to be pest free and you don't know how this "pest free" state was achieved. I'd rather buy them from a reputable source that understands the seriousness of bird safety. Or pick them up "wild" which I'm planning to go do very soon!

Most Reactions