Pionus, Question on Species and a Breeder

Tazkar

Jun 21, 2013
First time poster, just been mewling a question about my head for some time now.

Recently I've grown very interested in owning a parrot, been doing my research and such about the kinds of things I can expect and such. So far the biggest choice I've decided to make at the recommendation of someone I know that owns several birds. Is that I intend to get a Pionus especially the more I look into them, they seem like the perfect match for what I'm looking in a companion bird.
IE generally quieter, they don't need as much direct attention(in the sense of compared to something like a Cockatoo. I'm still prepared for having to spend a lot of time with one, that's the point of a companion animal!) Just ending to be more the 'thinkers' of parrots is one of the terms of I've seen associated with them.

Unfortunately with my current apartment dwelling I've been told I am not allowed to own a parrot. So for now I can only do more research and learn what I can until I move to a place that will allow me to share my space with one.

But beyond that I was really curious as to some peoples opinions on the Maxi compared to the Blue Head. I'm mostly asking since a Breeder I've found that is within driving distance of me, Avalon Aviary in CO. This year they are going to have both Maximillians and Blue-Headed babies, but when I spoke to them over the phone she wasn't sure if they'd be breeding anymore Maxi's next year.
I probably won't be in a position to own a bird until next year, and everything I've read and heard about this Aviary makes me really think it is the best place for me personally to get a parrot from.

So essentially what I'm asking is if the Blue-head Pionus are very notably different from a Maxi. I understand both species are about the same size and I've heard that the Maxi's are among the most outgoing of the Pionus's species. And I'd kind of been looking at the Maxi for the most part, though if both have very similar demeanor's overall, I think I'd enjoy a Blue Head as well. As I enjoy the coloration in the pictures I've seen of both.

I'm just kind of wondering if I should keep my heart on the Maxi and look for another breeder that raises them or decide to go with the Blue Headed when I am in a better position to own one if the current Aviary I'm looking at doesn't have any Maxi's at that point.

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
Are you planning on living in an apartment when you move out?

OP
T

Tazkar

Jun 21, 2013
At this point there is a strong possibility of ending in another apartment, more just a matter of finding a dwelling that will allow me to keep a parrot.

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
At this point there is a strong possibility of ending in another apartment, more just a matter of finding a dwelling that will allow me to keep a parrot.

That was going to be my next question. Parrots can be noisy. Certain ones more than others. With Rio, sometimes it's like "oh yeah I have a bird" she is so quiet. And then there are the shreeeek moments, that I haven't figured out yet if she is just excited, or is she scared. The other thing to consider is are you going to clip or keep the bird flighted? You don't have to answer that, but it's something to consider when you have say a larger parrot and a small space. Just some things to consider. I'm pretty much a newby, but something's are just common sense.

Oh and one more thing, I recommend highly looking in to Barbara Heidenreich from Good Bird Inc. check her our online and YouTube she is fantastic with parrots.

OP
T

Tazkar

Jun 21, 2013
That is one of the reasons I've been looking at the Pionus so strongly is I've heard they are one of the quieter birds in the sense that even when they do scream they don't reach the volumes of certain other species.

Though I'm mostly trying to find from Pionus owners what they think of the Maxi and Blue Head specifically since I'm just trying to figure out if I should keep leaning towards the Maxi or if I'd probably enjoy either a Maxi or Blue head.

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Hello and welcome! I can onlly comment on the white capped pionus but I can tell you that my guy is a great talker (in a whispery voice), he has his moments of "screaming" but is quiet enough that he could be an apartment bird. He's a great combination of independent and loving. He's perfectly content doing his own thing while at other times he wants to be cuddly and pet. He's beautiful in color and loves to strut his stuff. I call it his birdie swag lol. I purchased him from a great breeder in TX who has babies around every six months I believe. She was great to work with and the shipping process is quite easy and painless. She Will send him in a bird equiped crate. She did a great job with Tate and dna sexed him, as I requested a male. If you're interested let me know and I'll post or pm you her info and web page.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Tazkar - The only experience I have with Pionus is with a wild White Front my partners Uncle and Aunt had when we would visit them in Mexico. He must of excaped from a parrot vender in the park and flown into their yard. That is how they got him so I had no idea of age or gender but while there I was able to tame him within days and took over his care while I was visiting (I was missing my flock) I do know the males of Pionus can be hormonal and strut their stuff. I think if you were to get a baby you would "grow" into which ever species you choose and learn to read your parrot to avoid hormonal bites and tiffs. Pionus are one of the more laid back of the parrot species and with the white front have the reputation of being the most feisty I felt the wild Beto was very easy to tame and work with.

MissyMe83 I would love to get information on your Pionus breeder in TX. I am in Minnesota and had Valentino shipped to me so I learned all about that process (as nerve wracking as that was his breeder helped me understand the process and stepped me though it so I would not be nervous about it. She is an awesome breeder)

OP
T

Tazkar

Jun 21, 2013
I wouldn't mind the information on the Pionus Breeder as well, since I do certainly have time to consider my options.

BUt yeah the laid back nature of the Pionus is one of the things that attracts me to them. I really want a parrot that can be content to do its own things at times while I do my own things. And not constantly wanting to be around me, which from what I've heard of Pionus they are content to entertain themselves if given the proper toys.

Granted I do intend to spend a lot of time with him/her, just I know some species like Cockatoos go into big tantrums if their play time shrinks at all due to how love spongey they can be.

My current plan was actually when i get one to establish his out of cage play area by my computer desk and such so that even when I'm not directly paying attention to him he'd still be nearby and able to entertain himself while still being in proximity to me.

Leilahenderson

Jul 10, 2013
Tried to message Missyme to get the breeder info, but I'm new so I couldn't send a Pm. Do you have a website for the Texas pionus breeder you recommended??

Most Reactions