Planning to force a toy on an unsuspecting stranger

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
My son told me on Thursday that he saw "a bird that you can't have mom, but I think you should go check out how he's kept, no toys or anything. And he lives on the verandah!". I raised this kid right! ;)

Anyway, today while driving in my neighbourhood, I went to have a look. The people in question have, what appears to be, a timneh grey in an old cage out on their open verandah. There is minimal shelter for this poor bird from the elements :( Also, he only has two dowel perches in his cage and zero toys or anything to distract him from all the scary things he no doubt sees out there all day :(.

I just did a couple of drive-by's (like a spy LOL) but didn't stop and go closer because I don't know the people at all. Of course this poor bird is haunting me now! I thought I would make a toy and go drop it in their post box with a note that it is a gift for their bird.

What do you think? I don't want to offend total strangers by intimating that they're neglecting their bird but I can't just do nothing! This is litterally down the road from where I live. Now that I know he's there, I will look that way every time I drive past.

This is what I've made him.

IMG-20140208-00780_zps49d46b69.jpg

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
you should do it.
My sisters boyfriends sister has an budgie she too keeps in that condition.
Without the boyfriend the budgie would have starved to death just like his poor 3 budgies before them.
Some people just don't care.
Anyway i gave my sister about 15 toys to hang in there she rotates them every week there.

ps.Do post a note with saying you will keep an evil eye on them!!!
P.s.sIf you won't to do it you could post the toy to me :p

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Ohh I love it! Not only is that the cutest toy I've seen in a while, but what a kind gesture! I think that might be the perfect way to go about it. Good luck with the people being receptive... Please keep us posted!!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
My birds want that toy too!! LOL. Not only is it adorable, but "professionally" done :)

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
LOL!! Both of you can just calm down, ok? ;). Your birds are well cared for and don't need a toy from me to enrich their lives and spoil them even further :) ;)

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
Lol can't blame us for trying;)
But you really should do it,pretend in your note that your a kid orso.
Who thinks they have a pretty birdie.
Then they might be more accepting.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
I think you should start up your own business making bird toys :eek: It looks so professional!

I say do it, just put it in the mailbox and have a little note which says you drove passed and saw their bird! :)

There is someone who lives on my road, and they have a galah which is in a tiny cage on the verandah, no toys, one dowel perch and a mineral perch which is half eaten, so she is sitting on half a mineral perch and the other half is just the metal screw type thing which the stuff covers -_-

Her water was gross and only fed seed, and no idea when the last time the cage was cleaned!

Amazes me how people don't think birds need toys and they think seed is the perfect diet!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
You are the most awesome toy-maker! I think it's a great idea :)

Birdbrain91

Dec 6, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Apollo (A bossy YSGCC) Cleo (Sun Conure) Wesley (B&G Macaw)
I think you should do it with a note that says the toy fairy had an extra toy for their bird ( like the tooth fairy)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Yeah, I'm with everyone else: do it! Do it anonymously, though, (like a thief in the night! LOL!). If you ever get the chance to speak with them about parrot care, you might not want them knowing it was you who judged them wanting by posting a toy in their letterbox, y'know?

Maybe we should all work on a flier that can be posted in the letterboxes of people with neglected parrots: something that shows pluckers and screamers and self-mutilators compared to happy, occupied, well-fed birds and explains the difference. I've said this before: I thought I knew a lot about parrots when I joined this forum (and I did). I just didn't know enough about fine tuning their needs and accommodations. People aren't usually malicious - they're either lazy or ignorant. We can't do much for the lazy, but we could educate the ignorant. Just sayin'... :)

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
i say do it but try to be non threatening with it if you can! maybe something like "hey, fellow bird owner here, i was just passing and noticed your gorgeous bird on the veranda and thought he might enjoy one of my home made bird toys! I enjoy making them and always make more than enough for my birds" Blah blah, you get my drift?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I also think it is a fantastic idea! That toy is really cool, and I can only imagine the grey's delight with having something to play with to take his mind off everything else.
As for leaving a note, if it were me I think I would just say that you enjoy making toys and that you enjoy sharing them - maybe that won't offend them, and may actually give them some ideas?
You are such a kind person, Michelle, and I am happy to know you!

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
;). I actually did a spy drive by this morning and the toy is hanging in the cage!! I wish I knew what they thought when they found it in their mailbox that morning! Guess I will never know because I did it anon like recommended. It gave me great pleasure to see the toy in thar cage this morning AND it seemed to have been played with :) :)

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
Great to hear!!i was actually afraid that they would just trow the toy away.
Are more toys going to follow?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I thinks it's a wonderful idea giving them a gift for the bird.

What a great way to befriend each other.

With time you could give them some advice, let them come over to your place and see what you do with your birds.

The gift is GORGEOUS
Any bird would love it

Good luck

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
That's a very kind thing to do! I think you should introduce yourself. You can say something like, "I was driving by and noticed your lovely parrot . I have a parrot of my own too who I just finished sling toys for. He is crazy for this (show the toy) and I think your bird would too (smile!)"

Best case scenario is you gain a new friend who learns the proper parrot-caring ways from you :) and you save that poor bird from an under stimulating existence.

Ps. Oops Freespin beat me to it.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts