plastic straws??

isaiah.nino

Aug 25, 2012
in michigan
Parrots
sun conure
i was just wondering if i could use straws as a toy for my sun conure and how long should they be cut and can they eat them??? can i also let them have them all the time?? does any one use them in their bird toys????:confused:

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I've been wondering about that too. I'd be interested to hear some thoughts about using cut plastic straws of different lengths to make toys for conures? Any health or safety issues you can think of?

Kantia

Aug 18, 2012
UK, Leicester.
Parrots
Tich. A Green-Cheeked Blue Conure. Hatched 6th May 2012 <3
From what I've heard, they are safe, but your birds should be supervised whilst playing with them. and if they start to have little bits hanging off, replace them.

I could be wrong though, so someone else might want to confirm this.

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
Lucy approves! See photo in signature! As others have said, just make sure you discard them when they are shredded.

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
Mine love straws that are wrapped in paper! They rip all the paper off then chew the straws and play with them with their feet, haven't chewed any bits off, just like the feel of it I guess.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I tie a few straws together in a knot, Mishka spends hours trying to rip them apart.
Mishka plays with straws, he loves chewing them and chucking them out.
Always under supervision I must admit
000203FC.gif

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
We have over sixty birds and every one of our cages has straw toys in it. We use the wacky whirly straw cutter to make the toys. As long as you dispose of them once they get a bit chewed on you shouldn't have any problems. If you do a forum search for wacky whirly there should be a thread somewhere with pics of the toys :)

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
My girl LOVES straws !!! I make all kinds of toys with them. The last I made Friday was I took a leather string and tied straws all up it. She cant resist it ! Just remove any with bits hanging from them and you will have to replace them often. I use full size multi colored straws that I buy at the grocery store for $1 for like 50 straws. Also put them in a wiffle ball and hang it, you will laugh at how hard they work to get the straws out .

Most Reactions

Latest posts