Play gyms

Maxo

Jul 30, 2015
Seacoast area, New Hampshire
Parrots
None (just mom's Senegal, Tangie)
Anybody have a good play gym for their Senegal? I'm looking for one to keep him busy and entertained online, preferably that has food and water dishes or the like. Any suggestions?

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
I wish I could give you a good suggestion. Mine's attention span isn't long enough that he would stay on any stand, cage, shoulder or whatever for more than a couple of minutes before he is off foraging or getting into trouble. Mine has a very strong foraging instinct. Since he is always on the move, I tend to hide treats around the room so that when he is out he can search them out. So his "playpen" is more the whole room.

Grraarrgghh

Jan 5, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Parrots
"Albert" - Female Red Bellied Parrot - 1y3m (Oct 8th, 2014), "Martha" - Unknown Yellow-Sided GCC - 11m (Feb 13th 2015)
Albert has this one, which she loves:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Playstand-3181-Hammertone-17-625-Inch/dp/B0027J7M0S/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441068317&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=parrot+playgym"]Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Small Parrot Playstand 3181 Black Hammertone, 17.625-Inch by 16-1/2-Inch by 59-Inch : Bird Perches : Pet Supplies[/ame]

Very easy to clean too!

OP
M

Maxo

Jul 30, 2015
Parrots

Grraarrgghh

Jan 5, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Parrots
"Albert" - Female Red Bellied Parrot - 1y3m (Oct 8th, 2014), "Martha" - Unknown Yellow-Sided GCC - 11m (Feb 13th 2015)

I got it! Just put together for Tangie. He's still getting used to it and I'm trying get him on with positive reinforcement. How long did it take Albert to love it? Tangie can be a perch potato.

A few days. Putting the right toys on it is important as well. Albert loves bells, so I lured her in with a few jingly bell toys, along with a few wood chews. The best thing I found as well is that she wouldn't use the swing where the picture on the box shows it; it's too high to climb for a Poi. Put it on the centre ring on the wire portion above it instead. As well, I sometimes attach a long boing on that centre ring, as she prefers to climb up and down using that more than the ladders (but will still use the ladders on occasion).

At this point, Albert uses the playstand about 70% of her out of cage time, so it's been a pretty great purchase.

Here's a quick photo of what I mean (she's mad because I'm typing a bunch while she is trying to sleep):

2keSmws.jpg

OP
M

Maxo

Jul 30, 2015
Parrots
Oh cool, I'm gonna try a boing! We put two swings is places he would be able to step to. He's really getting into it, Actually. Put four toys on. It makes me feel good to get him something to do while he is out besides sit on me or a perch.

Most Reactions

Latest posts