Play time

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
Last night I gave Gitana a bigger than normal paper bag, I was playing dance revolution with my girls and she came out of her cage, so I tossed some finger traps in the bag, banana chips and a couple of wooden toys. She went after this bag LOL. However later on when i went to put her back in the cage she had no intention of leaving this bag. She would let you pet her but if you tried to take her bag "it was on" she tried to get ya..

Finally she ripped it up partially and it was still hard to get it away from her, I finally did and then she would step up to come with me. LOL that was her bag and boy did she make it known.

She never acted that way with a paper bag before, I think I will stick with the little bags shes not protective over those.

She was the best talking last night the whole time since i had he, she would say "whats up man" whatcha doing and then answer nothin LOL she also said more words i know i never taught her she said Merry Christmas alot LOL and started singing jingle bells LOL it was so cute..

I got a couple pics of her with her bag.. I also introduced the basketball hoop to her although she takes the ball and wants to keep it after LOL

Excuse my messy house the girl makes a mess with those banana chips LOL and i havent cleaned my house my girl had 3 friends over last night there was 5 teens in the house

Attachments

• 100_6567.jpg
    100_6567.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 100_6568.jpg
    100_6568.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
grab a cardboard 12 pack carton, our Hahn's LOVED playing in one. :)

Adinafloyd

Jul 8, 2012
Slaughter, La
Parrots
Jax (CAG)
Scarlet (Ekkie)
Toot (TAG)
(YNA-Nappy, Gone but never ever far from my heart)
Awww, she is cute peeking out of that bag. I cant wait till our lil girl gets bigger so she can play more. She is still anxious about everything. Thanks for sharing

OP
Trina

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
She doesn't play alot with toys I have found 2 toys she takes to so far, one 1 made and one i got from mysafebirds, she seems to love paper bags and anything you toss inside that she can tear up..I am gonna try that 12 pack and see how she takes to it..

She is starting to be really brave 2 times this past week she has on her own crawled out of her cage normally i gotta take her out but it seems she is feeling comfortable to come out on her own..

I love this bird, these birds capture your heart really fast, she has been talking more and before only she would talk with my girl or me around. but my husband got to see her playing and talking he was laughing so hard and she would mock him. She is normally quiet around him and just makes fart or burp noises. She impressed him, he told me that she is so smart and she really loves you no wonder you take care of her like she's a baby.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
That's so adorable :) Thanks for sharing!

As a thought, her 'protective' behaviour may be 'oo, this is a potential nest site' :p

OP
Trina

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
That makes sense and you are probably right she does not act that way with mini bags as she cant get in them, this one she could. When i went to put her night night i had a hard time she even played tug of war with me over a half ripped bag. I had to lie in wait and toss a banana chip away from her and then snag it quickly away. I didn;t think she would think of it as a nest but applying her behavior over the bag to your statement it makes logical sense. Thank you I will defiantly use little bags she cannot get into LOL

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Be very careful Trina especially with a mature hen & little potential nesting sites. It is recommended to keep them off the floor & don't encourage any nesting behavior. I wouldn't offer a cardboard box either. They can sometimes turn evil when in breeding mode.:)

OP
Trina

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
Thank you Pedro very helpful advice. I blocked under the entertainment center and i block under the couch with pillows when she was out , It didn't click a bag or box to forage with would trigger breeding behavior, I will be more cautious. I didn't think of it.. But it makes perfect sense.I will also keep her off the floor.thank you for the guidance :)

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
My bird won't walk on the floor. She won't even perch on anything that is not a real perch or perch-like. I'm always surprised to see these birds on the floor!

Most Reactions

Latest posts