Please help blood feather

_.miguel

Apr 10, 2023
Parrots
Conure
Is this blood feather bad or will it heal on its own. It’s bleeding little by little but it’s not dripping blood. Should I pull it out?

Attachments

• B38CFFAB-CC5E-44AD-B5F7-F67F58AF93D7.png
    B38CFFAB-CC5E-44AD-B5F7-F67F58AF93D7.png
    597.8 KB · Views: 47
  • CB54EA89-9BF3-4F1B-AC94-AAE671E143A1.png
    CB54EA89-9BF3-4F1B-AC94-AAE671E143A1.png
    567 KB · Views: 47

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Me, I would have my avain vet pull it out. You can do this at home but it takes a certain knack to do it as painlessly as possible and you should have corn starch or a styptic pen handy to stop bleeding. Blood feathers are still connected to his blood stream and if not pulled correctly and completely, so the "funnel" closes, takes having a Kelly clamp or forceps to grasp the left over feather stalk firmly and then yanked out. And it must come out, leaving it in can lead to your parrot bleeding out. There ain't that much blood in there!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
How is your baby doing? Blood feathers are so scary.

OP
M

_.miguel

Apr 10, 2023
Parrots
Conure
Me, I would have my avain vet pull it out. You can do this at home but it takes a certain knack to do it as painlessly as possible and you should have corn starch or a styptic pen handy to stop bleeding. Blood feathers are still connected to his blood stream and if not pulled correctly and completely, so the "funnel" closes, takes having a Kelly clamp or forceps to grasp the left over feather stalk firmly and then yanked out. And it must come out, leaving it in can lead to your parrot bleeding out. There ain't that much blood in there!
Thank you so much ima get the things I need immediately!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I’m not sure if it needs removed or not - I think that actually removing broken blood feathers isn’t as common as it used to be. But if you do get it removed I second having a vet remove it instead of yourself. It can be a very painful process for them and it’d be better for a stranger to do that than you. I’d be worried about my bird associating me with that kind of pain.

I found this article to be very helpful when my GCC broke a blood feather: https://birdsupplies.com/blogs/news/157086023-what-to-do-about-a-broken-blood-feather

According to the article linked above “It's 2021. Prominent avian vets are no longer encouraging us to pull out a bleeding blood feather as the first line of defense.”

Most Reactions

Latest posts