Please Help! Conure broke his neck!

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
Wow. I do not trust my dog around my bird. I trust my cats more, but that's only because I have seen them play together without worry. I still watch them like a hawk and am always having my hand in between the bird and mouth. Can't be too careful!!

Please give us updates!! I am sorry about what happened, and I pray that your bird is ok without any long term injury.

OP
S

Stallion

Feb 9, 2013
NobleMacaw, damn you made me tear up there. It's amazing how much Samantha and I bonded for just a few weeks. I'd imagine if I lost her after 9 years like you did your Diego, I'd suffer some sort of neurological issue myself.

MeganMango, Yes I do believe these guys are strong. They haven't survived in the dangerous rainforest that they have for thousands of years if they weren't at least a tad bit strong. I have to now administer some Metacam for the pain, and hopefully any inflammation goes down with it. I'm assuming it will, because all form of pain comes from inflammation of some sort.

Status update: So, I've been waking up ever so often to check on her, and she's been there hunched over sleeping. I went just now to give her some fresh fruits.

Once she heard me, she popped up and ran towards my hand and plopped in. Looking at me with a face which screamed, "Where the hell you been!?" I knew she needed to rest and not be stimulated so I tried putting her in again, but she wasn't having it. So, I decided to just place her on my bed, lights off, nice and quiet. I told her, "Step up" while holding my index finger to her belly. This is a command she has mastered, but she didn't do it. Poor girl. Her head is twisted to one side, but I did not notice the bobble head thing. She almost instantenously crashed, and so I put her in her cage again. And then she woke up again and looked at me lively like, "You're seriously leaving me here again!" She can't take too much attention or stimulation or else she crashes. Poor girl. I think tonight, if she's still so inclined to being around me, I'll sleep on the couch with her in hand.

:yellow2:

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Please, please...I hope to God you were not speaking in literal terms. Don't sleep with your conure in your hand or out of her cage. You will crush her! This is extremely dangerous & a major safety issue.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I would also think that it could be nerve damage from where the dog grabbed her, resulting in some paralysis on one side of her whole body. I'm no doctor but I would think that with anti-inflammatory meds the swelling would go down and somewhat help, but it's not saying wether inflammation is the only problem (hopefully) or if the nerve has been damaged.

I hope that your vet is AVIAN as I believe that some injuries are better treated by someone with avian expertise.

I hope for a speedy recovery for your baby

OP
S

Stallion

Feb 9, 2013
@ faeryphoebe1
Yes, and No. It'll be just like 2 days ago. She'll be doing the sleeping, and I'll just be holding her on my chest dozing off for 2 minutes at a time. On the single couch, so I can't lay down or anything.

@ Echo
Yes, I noticed a plac and other things on the wall pertaining to his and the hospitals ties with Avian Organizations. They were quite a drive away from us, as they were the only facility near me that dealt with feathered friends.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'm so sorry this happened, but I really doubt she broke her neck (that would have killed a bird instantly). It sounds like she got a good knock in the head, probably has a concussion or similar injury and is just really dizzy (thus why she's got a "bobble head"). If you've ever seen a person with who's dizzy, they're head rolls around, and with birds hyperflexable necks, the effect is more exaggerated. The pain medicine probably doesn't help the bobble head effect either. Any decent vet would have sedated her and taken an xray to determine the extent of her injury, and it would be helpful to know if he did and what he had to say? If not, consulting a different vet to make sure she is treated appropriately would be in order. If she does indeed have a neck injury, she may need a neck brace and not having one could exacerbate the injury more. I don't think it's a permenant thing, just a reaction to the injury until she recovers.

OP
S

Stallion

Feb 9, 2013
I'm so sorry this happened, but I really doubt she broke her neck (that would have killed a bird instantly). It sounds like she got a good knock in the head, probably has a concussion or similar injury and is just really dizzy (thus why she's got a "bobble head"). If you've ever seen a person with who's dizzy, they're head rolls around, and with birds hyperflexable necks, the effect is more exaggerated. The pain medicine probably doesn't help the bobble head effect either. Any decent vet would have sedated her and taken an xray to determine the extent of her injury, and it would be helpful to know if he did and what he had to say? If not, consulting a different vet to make sure she is treated appropriately would be in order. If she does indeed have a neck injury, she may need a neck brace and not having one could exacerbate the injury more. I don't think it's a permenant thing, just a reaction to the injury until she recovers.

As of right now, she's at 80%. Her head is tilted to the side, but does not bobble. And sometimes she still closes her left eye while having her right eye open.

This is my own personal opinion, but if she will probably make a full recovery this week. In the mean time, I am trying to look for a way to post a video of her in her urrent state, so all could see.

kalinka

Jan 21, 2013
Cleveland Ohio
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I would not guess, I think it's better to contact the vet and find out full information about your birds condition. The good thing, that she is doing better, eats and drink. It's a good sign and I hope she will be fine soon.

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
Please, please...I hope to God you were not speaking in literal terms. Don't sleep with your conure in your hand or out of her cage. You will crush her! This is extremely dangerous & a major safety issue.

Or the bird could suffocate in the bedsheets.

It is NOT worth the risk, for the bird, or for the owner who has to deal with the grief if the hapless bird dies.

Cats are great for sleeping on the bed. Not birds. It is too risky, for many reasons.

OP
S

Stallion

Feb 9, 2013

Or the bird could suffocate in the bedsheets.

It is NOT worth the risk, for the bird, or for the owner who has to deal with the grief if the hapless bird dies.

Cats are great for sleeping on the bed. Not birds. It is too risky, for many reasons.

Guys, please don't hijack my thread with talks about sleeping with conures on the bed when no one was talking about that but you two. It is good to share knowledge, but let it be on topic.

Thank you!
:yellow2:

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I am sorry that happened. Sadly accidents happen. You can keep talking to the vet and monitor her but also try to think positive. While it sounds like the dog bit her it and apparently also let go of her. I think if your bird survived this long then it "probably" is going to be okay.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
Wow. I do not trust my dog around my bird. I trust my cats more, but that's only because I have seen them play together without worry. I still watch them like a hawk and am always having my hand in between the bird and mouth. Can't be too careful!!

Please give us updates!! I am sorry about what happened, and I pray that your bird is ok without any long term injury.

It depends on the dog. My mom has a small dog I would not trust around a bird since it goes crazy if it hears a squeak toy. In other words it probably would try to make a bird it's play toy. But thinking about it I do not know if any of her small dogs could be trusted. I have a small dog (I got from her) but he shows no interest in my conure. My conure once landed on my dog who proceded to get up and leave the room (as I picked up the bird). I have seen videos of cats with birds. However, cats and ferrets are strict meat eaters so it must never be forgotten a bird can be a meal to them. While dogs eat meat they can also eat things like carrots. I am glad you watch your cats (after all for most cats it is natural to pounce abything that moves or flutters).

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
It depends on the dog.
No dog that's large enough to harm one's pet bird should be permitted physical contact with that pet bird! A fright or a sudden unexpected noise may incite the dog to uncharacteristically snap at the bird, and such snaps can occur so quickly that no one standing nearby may be able to intervene in time enough to protect the bird. It's not fair to our pet birds to place them at risk simply because we think it's "cute" or "adorable" to watch them interact with dogs. There may be no apparent problem for years between a dog and a bird sharing contact, and then seemingly out of nowhere a catastrophe may occur.

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
This all sounds kind of similar to what happened to my Nimbus, she only fell about a foot but into the coffee table and had a bit of a bobble head and tremors, the vet thought it may be neurological of vit deficiency. Since then shes put on a load of weight (don't think her breeder fed her very well) and gotten so much strength back, so perhaps it was just a little inflamation and vit def. I think what I'm trying to say is I understand your stress at this time! I hope for both your sakes that it isn't anything that can't be recovered from in time! I truly wish you the best of luck.

OP
S

Stallion

Feb 9, 2013
This all sounds kind of similar to what happened to my Nimbus, she only fell about a foot but into the coffee table and had a bit of a bobble head and tremors, the vet thought it may be neurological of vit deficiency. Since then shes put on a load of weight (don't think her breeder fed her very well) and gotten so much strength back, so perhaps it was just a little inflamation and vit def. I think what I'm trying to say is I understand your stress at this time! I hope for both your sakes that it isn't anything that can't be recovered from in time! I truly wish you the best of luck.

Thank you!

Looking at her now, she looks awesome! The only thing is the slight twisted neck. Did your bird have that, and did that go away?

In another 20 minutes I'l have to give her another dose of Metacam.

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
She was doing this thing called star gazing, she'd rest her head all the way back. And she'd almost look like she'd lose control when trying to look around and make herself dizzy. Almost completely gone now though, it's been about a month. Her head sometimes is a bit wobbly when she gets excited really extending for something, more like a quiver... I dunno.
All she's had done was a calcium supplement in the water and a vitamin injection the other day.
The initially head wobble though looked like a seizure, scariest day of my life, never felt so sick, I understand the fear of sick birds now, I'm going to be a hopeless parent :p

OP
S

Stallion

Feb 9, 2013
She was doing this thing called star gazing, she'd rest her head all the way back. And she'd almost look like she'd lose control when trying to look around and make herself dizzy. Almost completely gone now though, it's been about a month. Her head sometimes is a bit wobbly when she gets excited really extending for something, more like a quiver... I dunno.
All she's had done was a calcium supplement in the water and a vitamin injection the other day.
The initially head wobble though looked like a seizure, scariest day of my life, never felt so sick, I understand the fear of sick birds now, I'm going to be a hopeless parent :p

Well, the wobbly neck just returned. She fought me not to take her medicine, and since it tastes like crap she shook her head to spit it out. As she did her neck went all wobbly again. Then she closed her eyes and went weak.

It's sad because she looked like she was doing way better. She needs more strength.

I am happy to hear though, that your bird has improved and in just one month.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I had the same exact thing happen to one of my birds years ago, although she never recovered fully but she learned to perch in a cage once again. I ended up keeping in a heated aquarium with food and water, but I handfed her as well. I kept her in it for a long long time before I tested her to see how she does in a cage and she did great and she lived in a cage once again ever since.

OP
S

Stallion

Feb 9, 2013
Status Update: So I wake up this morning to see if her neck is still twisted. As soon as I look inside the cage I see her starring back at me with that same twisted neck. I'm considering now that she's out of the woods, it seems, to take her back to the vet to talk about this issue.

But here's the part that surprised me. She walked over to be picked up as I removed her food and water bowls for cleaning and refilling and... I picked her up and... she weighs as much as a Macaw!!!! Okay, I'm exaggerating, but she has DEFINETLY put on some weight. I mean, I can feel a big difference than normal. Am almost tempted to say at 75%-100% weight gain, that's twice as much!

Now, the Vet did say to let her be for a few days. So the lack of exercise probably caused that. Shoul I be concerned?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I would highly recommend getting digital scale, so you can better monitor her weight. They are pretty inexpensive, and they come in quite handy. :)

Most Reactions