Please Help! Conure broke his neck!

OP
S

Stallion

Feb 9, 2013
I would highly recommend getting digital scale, so you can better monitor her weight. They are pretty inexpensive, and they come in quite handy. :)

I most certainly will. I'm headed to the pet store after work to get her some Multivitamin with B12. So I might as well see if they have any digital scales, if not I'll buy one online.

I had my wife take her out for a while, and she says that Samantha wanted to go to the floor where she walked the whole house making sure her cage and stand were still there. She is SO FRICKEN SMART! I feel a stronger connection with her than I did my old Shiba Inu! I call her, and she comes. I use to call him, and he'd look at me like I was talking Japanese.

My wife believes that that twist in her neck is only at its worse when she gets tired. I hope that perhaps the B12 corrects it. I've heard some mixed things on the internet. Some say it can and will correct itself, others say that once it sets in it's permanent.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
So sorry for what happened to Samantha , if she's still recovering I wouldn't force her to do exercise. If she wants maybe she could do it by herself ?

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
I would highly recommend getting digital scale, so you can better monitor her weight. They are pretty inexpensive, and they come in quite handy. :)

I most certainly will. I'm headed to the pet store after work to get her some Multivitamin with B12. So I might as well see if they have any digital scales, if not I'll buy one online.

I had my wife take her out for a while, and she says that Samantha wanted to go to the floor where she walked the whole house making sure her cage and stand were still there. She is SO FRICKEN SMART! I feel a stronger connection with her than I did my old Shiba Inu! I call her, and she comes. I use to call him, and he'd look at me like I was talking Japanese.

My wife believes that that twist in her neck is only at its worse when she gets tired. I hope that perhaps the B12 corrects it. I've heard some mixed things on the internet. Some say it can and will correct itself, others say that once it sets in it's permanent.

Being a survivor of neck surgery (do not go to chiropractors), I take a complement of B-series vitamins. A deficiency can lead to problems as they, esp. B12, are crucial for nervous system maintenance. It never hurts, and B-series vitamins are water soluble, so excess intake isn't as much a concern. But I don't overdo it either... just to be safe. (e.g. I don't overdo on vitamin D, since too much of that is toxic and will cause organ damage...)

Sending good vibes your way and to your fid.

OP
S

Stallion

Feb 9, 2013

Being a survivor of neck surgery (do not go to chiropractors), I take a complement of B-series vitamins. A deficiency can lead to problems as they, esp. B12, are crucial for nervous system maintenance. It never hurts, and B-series vitamins are water soluble, so excess intake isn't as much a concern. But I don't overdo it either... just to be safe. (e.g. I don't overdo on vitamin D, since too much of that is toxic and will cause organ damage...)

Sending good vibes your way and to your fid.

Yes, you're correct. Two things doctors recommend you DON'T do are visit a Chiropractor or get a Colonix.

I just dusted her food with some Multivitamin from ZooMed, and within it is the B12 component. As well as others.

I am also happy to say that she took her dosage of Anibiotics like a champ, and her neck isn't so tilted all the time. So again, if this type of progress continues she'll be 100% fine before the weekend. The only thing I fear is a hault in said recovery.

Thank you for your response!

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
I have not posted on this site for a long time. I recently lost my 2 bird....Peaches my baby Sun Conure. I lost Monty back in August, my baby Meyers.

I got a call from home and my wife was hysterical. She was crying so bad that I thought a family member must of passed away. Apparently my baby was trampled and with a broken neck she passed away within minutes.

I was working a double shift that particular day but out of the norm I had stopped by my home. I got to kiss my baby that afternoon. She passed away like 10 pm that night.

When I got the call about my dead parrot. I wanted to cry but I was being strong for my wife. I advised my wife to place Peaches in a shoe box and leave her in a separate room.

I got home around 11:45 pm. I took a shovel and started digging by some bushes near my drive way. I chose that location because exactly at that spot was where the hawk took off with my Meyers.

Now mind you til that moment I was being strong. Once I layed the shoe box and covered it with dirt. I ran inside and cried for 15-20 minutes.

I was suppose to buy a Amazon but I did not have it in me to bring another bird until I was completely healed. So I cancelled my deposit.

I have since recovered. I am planning to bring 3 birds to my depleted flock. A Sun Conue, Blue Crown Conure and a Hahns macaw. All 3 are expected to come home sometime this May.

I felt real sad for situation but I also felt hope. I feel very strong that your bird will recover. In the meantime don't blame your self. Accidents happen which are not in our control. Peace be to you.

OP
S

Stallion

Feb 9, 2013
I have not posted on this site for a long time. I recently lost my 2 bird....Peaches my baby Sun Conure. I lost Monty back in August, my baby Meyers.

I got a call from home and my wife was hysterical. She was crying so bad that I thought a family member must of passed away. Apparently my baby was trampled and with a broken neck she passed away within minutes.

I was working a double shift that particular day but out of the norm I had stopped by my home. I got to kiss my baby that afternoon. She passed away like 10 pm that night.

When I got the call about my dead parrot. I wanted to cry but I was being strong for my wife. I advised my wife to place Peaches in a shoe box and leave her in a separate room.

I got home around 11:45 pm. I took a shovel and started digging by some bushes near my drive way. I chose that location because exactly at that spot was where the hawk took off with my Meyers.

Now mind you til that moment I was being strong. Once I layed the shoe box and covered it with dirt. I ran inside and cried for 15-20 minutes.

I was suppose to buy a Amazon but I did not have it in me to bring another bird until I was completely healed. So I cancelled my deposit.

I have since recovered. I am planning to bring 3 birds to my depleted flock. A Sun Conue, Blue Crown Conure and a Hahns macaw. All 3 are expected to come home sometime this May.

I felt real sad for situation but I also felt hope. I feel very strong that your bird will recover. In the meantime don't blame your self. Accidents happen which are not in our control. Peace be to you.

Thank you so much for sharing that. You know, during this whole thing I've been completely surprised with myself, and what I have become. I remember as a teen being tougher than the love child of John Wayne and a Spartan soldier(if that were possible)... but here I am crying, fretting, and completely a wreck over a baby bird. And it's nice to know that it's okay for men to cry over these wonderful creatures.

I've owned it all. Fish, Hedgehogs, Chinchillas, Dogs, Cats, Chickens, etc. None have stolen my heart the way these little conures have. Only reason I got Samantha was because when I worked at a pet store long ago, I met a green cheek named Sammy. And me and him bonded instantly. Unfortunetly I'm a good salesman, and I sold him a little too well to a loving family. He was off to a good home, but he left a strong impression in my heart.

Besides, they also make me feel like a kick@$$ pirate! :p

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
I also grew up with different types of animals. I had gerbils, rabbits, hamsters, turtles, cats and dogs. I loved animals as a child. However the parrots have stolen my heart.

Only bird people truly know what a special feelings it is to own these marvelous creatures. My coworkers do not understand even some family members. Why birds mean so much to us.

I always noticed how my mom used to feed the wild birds in our yard while growing up. As a adult I do the same. Owning parrots has given me a deeper understanding and love for all birds.

Far as men crying there is nothing wrong with that. It only shows that you are human.

You said birds make you feel like a pirate and that part made me laugh. Birds are very cool. When growing up and watching GI Joe there was a character who as a sailor named ship wreak who had a pirate, lol. I always found that cool.

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
I don't mean to go off on a pirate tangent but hopefully this will put a smile on your face =)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSQDh6e3axc]Amazon Parrot singing Yo Ho - A Pirate's Life - YouTube[/ame]

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
I have seen that video before and it is 1 of my favorite on YouTube. Thanks for sharing.

OP
S

Stallion

Feb 9, 2013
Wow! I can't BELIEVE he learned that much of the song!

Cutest thing!

Most Reactions