Please help female eckie

Criddle85

Jun 21, 2010
Media
Lismore,Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine,Eclectus
I have a 9 month old female eckie who I hand raised myself. She is fully weaned eating lots of diff fruits vegies and eating pellets (no seed at all). She is constantly squawking anything I do doesn't help I keep getting told she needs more attention but she squawks more when I am around or get her out to play with her. She has a 5 month old male in with her and toys and she is starting to get him into the habit. I really don't want to have to give her up I don't know what more I can do please someone help.she even squawks if she just hears me

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I see this problem more & more with owners hand rearing their own eclectus chicks. Also the misguided advice given that parrots need heaps of attention. A mistake you have found out yourself. This behavior is a learned behavior, unless of course your girl is unwell in which case a trip to your Vet would be in order. Most new hand-rearers lack the education on the behavior of Parrots & have no idea how to stop a behavior before it starts.

There is no band-aid fix for a parrot that has learned to scream. I think if you really want to make a difference for your birds contact Jim McKendry at .:pBEC Contact Details:. you can email him for professional advice.

Giving her up isn't the answer either you are only giving someone else the problem.

Do your birds get to spend time outside, do they have an enrichment area where they can chill without just looking at 4 walls, have heaps of showers a wet bird is a happy bird preening itself, location of their cage, how noisy is their environment. All these things should be considered.

I hope you can get some help for your girl.

OP
C

Criddle85

Jun 21, 2010
Media
Lismore,Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine,Eclectus
I had them outside everyday but unfortunately because of a certain a**hole neibour that thought it would be funny to throw a beer bottle at them I've been keeping them inside. They have a shower every morning coz I've found she is quiet when she is in there. Thankyou for the link I will give it a try

mygirl

Banned
Banned
Oct 4, 2010
Parrots
Female Eclectus
how we stopped mylahs behavior problems when she done something we didn't like we put her in a different room where she couldn't see us, time out we tell her lol
wait until she is quiet or talking happy then tell her she can come out now coz shes a good girl and this seems to work ignore the bad behaviour, theres no point yelling or telling them to be quiet at any time as that is attention, she used to demand sneeze, a fake sneeze when she wanted anything and we are slowly teaching her when she does it she gets taken into the other room she learnt this when she was sick, she realised that when she sneezed we would check on her or give her attention

OP
C

Criddle85

Jun 21, 2010
Media
Lismore,Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine,Eclectus
I've been trying that but as soon as I walk in the room she starts screaming at me so it's pointless getting her out then

mygirl

Banned
Banned
Oct 4, 2010
Parrots
Female Eclectus
another thing we tried was covering the cage when she is being naughty so she cant see you we just throw a towel over the front of it and when you take it off she looks at you like what did you do that for :) i think you are just going to have to keep trying things until you get her to stop

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Quick Fixes for Avian Behavior Management

Thought this was worth a read.
Oh boy she is a hard one isn't she. I am helping a lady with a male eclectus & screaming & biting but he is quite as long as he is sitting on someones shoulder, minute he is on his own the whole neighbour knows. We think this birds behavior is because he is controling his owner.

OP
C

Criddle85

Jun 21, 2010
Media
Lismore,Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine,Eclectus
She can even be on my shoulder and squawks she is my third eckie I have hand raised so I'm not a total newbie

OP
C

Criddle85

Jun 21, 2010
Media
Lismore,Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine,Eclectus
I've been ignoring her unless she whistles or makes cute noises(trying to talk) but as soon as I acknowlege her she squawks she is definately strong willed lol.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Quick Fixes for Avian Behavior Management

Thought this was worth a read.
Oh boy she is a hard one isn't she. I am helping a lady with a male eclectus & screaming & biting but he is quite as long as he is sitting on someones shoulder, minute he is on his own the whole neighbour knows. We think this birds behavior is because he is controling his owner.

Great article, Pedro..

mygirl

Banned
Banned
Oct 4, 2010
Parrots
Female Eclectus
I think she has got you bluffed lol it gets like that, mylah has got a very bossy attitude it just takes time and a lot of patience

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
What happens when you cover her cage? Time outs and cage-covering have worked well with Puck.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I have a 9 month old female eckie who I hand raised myself. She is fully weaned eating lots of diff fruits vegies and eating pellets (no seed at all). She is constantly squawking anything I do doesn't help I keep getting told she needs more attention but she squawks more when I am around or get her out to play with her. She has a 5 month old male in with her and toys and she is starting to get him into the habit. I really don't want to have to give her up I don't know what more I can do please someone help.she even squawks if she just hears me

What kind of pellets are you feeding her? Most pellets are bad for ekkies!!!! I give mine just a table spoon of small seeds between two of them.

Are you responding to her when she squawks? We talk to ours like little people so they squawk or make noise, we speak back to them but we do not respond by taking them out. Most of the behavior problem is a learned behavior. You MUST realize what your doing first! They're very smart in catching on.

OP
C

Criddle85

Jun 21, 2010
Media
Lismore,Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine,Eclectus
She is quiet when I cover the cage but as soon as she sees or hears me she squawks I bought them some sunflower seeds Jim said being so young they need some fat in their diet. I have vatafarm pellets for them are they ok?? I mix dried fruit and nuts with the pellets so it's not a huge amount of pellets

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
Yes i agree they need the extra fat. All mine get just a small parrot seed mix to which i just add some pellets. Don't bother with the dry fruits. A few almonds. The rest of the diet is made up of sprouted seeds, Fruit & Veggies. Lots of variety but good stuff. I use the Vetafarm pellets & have not had any probs with wing flipping or toe tapping.

Did Jim steer you in the right direction. I hope so.

OP
C

Criddle85

Jun 21, 2010
Media
Lismore,Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine,Eclectus
Yea Jim gave me alot of advice and I'm sure it will help alot she has been pretty good today I can actually talk without her screaming at me.she still screams when I go up to the cage and give her attention. I have also been giving her baby formula but she likes to eat it out of a dish by herself that makes her quieter.I have been giving her more toys and I collect pine cones for her to chew on to keep her occupied. All the little things we try is helping so I hope we can cut it out all together :)

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
Yea Jim gave me alot of advice and I'm sure it will help alot she has been pretty good today I can actually talk without her screaming at me.she still screams when I go up to the cage and give her attention. I have also been giving her baby formula but she likes to eat it out of a dish by herself that makes her quieter.I have been giving her more toys and I collect pine cones for her to chew on to keep her occupied. All the little things we try is helping so I hope we can cut it out all together :)

Personally I think it helps to get the right advice up front. I have found Jim to be a no nonsense sort of person. There is so many reasons why a parrot will scream a lot & if you know why you can work on the problem.

I hope you are able to work this little girl out because they are usually not noisy at all especially when they are happy.

OP
C

Criddle85

Jun 21, 2010
Media
Lismore,Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine,Eclectus
I am happy to say she is starting to quieten down but her male friend cookiehas started but only a little bit he will stop soon I'm sure. They are talking to eachother in their cage now they sound very happy :)

OP
C

Criddle85

Jun 21, 2010
Media
Lismore,Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine,Eclectus
criddle85

Re: Please help female eckie

I made a mistake she is 5 months old and he is 3 months old I have no chance to help them now I have to sell them :-(

Most Reactions

Latest posts