PLease help!Macaw attack

Tatiana

Apr 24, 2013
Hello, I am new to this forum. Just yesterday we got a new macaw:blue1:, named Oliver. This is a female (previous owners named her after they found out her sex) of 13 years old. I havent been warned that she doesnt like females (after I have been told that obviously in her life she liked only 2 females). When I approached her cage and tried talking to her.. she got mad (i saw blood flowing to her chicks and her feathers were getting up). So when my husband let her out of the cage she tried to run to me and :eek:.. attack me?? I dont know because I got scared and run away (with the amazon on my shoulders). I thought that she might not like me because I hold Mumu (amazon that we also have)... However today when he let her out again, I closed the door and she run after me and was biting the door .... I dont know what causes such an aggressive behavior from her side.. but this is really upsetting me.
Now im pretty much occupied with graduate school and exams but I promised myself once I m released of tests I ll try to spend as much time with her so she can get used to me.
My question is... next time when my hubby will try to release her again.. and she ll try to chase me and attack me.. should I stay on my place being calm? My husband said she is just bluffing. But i am so scared that she is going to bite of my toes or something. What should I do?:confused: Or should we wait until she will get used to me and then to release her when i m in the room?:confused:
Now I am a prisoner in my own house.. I cant walk out of my room when she is outside. I am just scared.:31:

Thank you for your advises!!!!

P.S. I had parrots all of my life I adore them. However, I never had a macaw. This is my first time.
P.S.S. Sorry for my language. I am not a native English speaker.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
It will be kind of hard trying to make friends with Oliver until you have finished your exams, but quietly talking with her every chance you get & even offering her treats through the cage bars will help, but you might be wise to not be in Oliver's sight when your husband lets her out...you have already shown her that she scares you and birds will often use that to their advantage...and...your husband could be 100% right and she is bluffing.....birds do that, but if you're not in the room when he lets her out, you won't be showing fear again and that will help with trying to win over her friendship, when you have the time.....

Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to join us.....

Good luck with Oliver...what species of macaw is she?

Your English is very good, so you don't need to apologize.....

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
try sitting next to her cage when she is in it and talking to her and a few treats, they will definitely sense fear and respond accordingly (as in attack) These things can take time but it is worth all your efforts :)

OP
T

Tatiana

Apr 24, 2013
It will be kind of hard trying to make friends with Oliver until you have finished your exams, but quietly talking with her every chance you get & even offering her treats through the cage bars will help, but you might be wise to not be in Oliver's sight when your husband lets her out...you have already shown her that she scares you and birds will often use that to their advantage...and...your husband could be 100% right and she is bluffing.....birds do that, but if you're not in the room when he lets her out, you won't be showing fear again and that will help with trying to win over her friendship, when you have the time.....

Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to join us.....

Good luck with Oliver...what species of macaw is she?

Your English is very good, so you don't need to apologize.....

Thank you, for your reply

What I did as I decided to study even in front of her. I have my books and notes and I read to her.
My husband sometimes work during the weekends so I am going to be alone with Oliver for all weekends. I hope that will help her to trust me.

Today I treated her with pineapple (through the cage) and she accepted it, but she threw away the pastry.. like she didn't want it.. or she was mad at me.:20:
She still shows signs of madness at me (being inside of the cage) so you are right. It is better not to be in the room while she is out.

Is it better to talk to her in soft and nice voice... not loud? (my husband said that it is better to talk loud and nice things. but I think that soft and kind of not loud voice will help better) What do you think?

OP
T

Tatiana

Apr 24, 2013
try sitting next to her cage when she is in it and talking to her and a few treats, they will definitely sense fear and respond accordingly (as in attack) These things can take time but it is worth all your efforts :)
Yes, I cant wait to hang out with her and not to be afraid that she might off my fingers.:D:D

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I'm sorry your having a hard time with Oliver. Our Cockatoo has attacked me in the past. She was on the bed with my son playing and I went to change her cage liner. She jumped down off the bed and ran after me. She bit my leg in several spots. I learned that she doesnt want any changes to her cage, I guess she likes a dirty house. Now when I change her cage liner, I have my son take her to another room so that she doesnt see me do it. She hasnt attacked anymore. It could be as simple as Oliver doesnt like women or you could have been wearing a color she didnt like. I had posted a thread offering my favorite red sweater for free, as the cockatoo hates it also. Some birds are aggressive about their likes and dislikes. I have faith you will figure out a solution if you give it time, just take it slowly.

OP
T

Tatiana

Apr 24, 2013
I'm sorry your having a hard time with Oliver. Our Cockatoo has attacked me in the past. She was on the bed with my son playing and I went to change her cage liner. She jumped down off the bed and ran after me. She bit my leg in several spots. I learned that she doesnt want any changes to her cage, I guess she likes a dirty house. Now when I change her cage liner, I have my son take her to another room so that she doesnt see me do it. She hasnt attacked anymore. It could be as simple as Oliver doesnt like women or you could have been wearing a color she didnt like. I had posted a thread offering my favorite red sweater for free, as the cockatoo hates it also. Some birds are aggressive about their likes and dislikes. I have faith you will figure out a solution if you give it time, just take it slowly.

Yes, previous owners told me that Oliver doesnt like woman... I have a pretty hard time with her. I know I cant lose the patience but it is soo hard to see that my husband that knows her the same time as me plays with her and goes with her around..
while Oliver even doesn't allow me to feed her.... I tried again.. and she throws away all of the food that I bring her when I talk to her nicely. She throws herself on the bars and try to bite the bars (like showing me that I m should be scared.. which I am).
I am afraid it is a bad sign.. since previous owners told me that girls couldn't touch Oliver.
What does it say about her? How she will react to kids?
I feel so irresponsible now. I feel sorry for her and for me at the same time. And also feel stupid.
My amazon seem to be stressed because of Oliver. Though I try to give him enough attention.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I agree with what everyone else says. Take it really slowly, being friendly while the bird is IN the cage and not making you nervous or afraid. It will take some time, and the bird may always prefer men, but can learn that women are friends too.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Did you not quarantine when bringing Oliver home???? Or at least have Oliver tested prior to make sure he's healthy before having him around your Amazon. If not, you should!

Macaws tend to bluff, but when a macaw is charging at you on the floor, most likely she's not bluffing, they will bite your toes, sounds to me yours is a toe chaser like mine. IF we're barefooted, Willie will chase after our toes if he's on the floor. I don't run away from him but he nips at my toes. Or he starts chasing after the dog's paws, I don't want him on the floor so I quickly picks him up off the floor. He usually sneaks to get on the floor.....

Tami

Mar 2, 2013
Hi Tatiana, Welcome. I'm pretty new too and having a similar problem with my own Quaker parrot that "loves" me. Where are you originally from?

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
I'm curious if your Amazon is part of the trigger. Where is the Amazon each time the Macaw behaves like this?

OP
T

Tatiana

Apr 24, 2013
Hi Tatiana, Welcome. I'm pretty new too and having a similar problem with my own Quaker parrot that "loves" me. Where are you originally from?

I am from Russia...

but i live in US for already 6 years...

well... I am really upset now... Oliver screams a lot when she is inside of the cage and I started to have a headache. My husband is dissapointed with screams but still he can get to her and be friends not as me. So I cant let her out and in the same time we have to listen to her screams which are not pleasant... (she usually screams when I talk to my husband.. so obviously she even doesnt want me to talk to him)

I thought it would be easier for me to get her into my friends list but not as I thought.

Do you have the same problem too?
When did you get your Macaw?

OP
T

Tatiana

Apr 24, 2013
I'm curious if your Amazon is part of the trigger. Where is the Amazon each time the Macaw behaves like this?

We moved Amazon into our room. So amazon is with us now...(i was afraid that Oliver might harm her) I love my amazon and I know Oliver sees it. But I also tried to put attention to Oliver as well.. I dont know.

My husband told me that Oliver tries to go to our room every time when she is out.. I dont know is it because of the amazon or because there are mirrors there... (she likes mirrors)

OP
T

Tatiana

Apr 24, 2013
Did you not quarantine when bringing Oliver home???? Or at least have Oliver tested prior to make sure he's healthy before having him around your Amazon. If not, you should!

Macaws tend to bluff, but when a macaw is charging at you on the floor, most likely she's not bluffing, they will bite your toes, sounds to me yours is a toe chaser like mine. IF we're barefooted, Willie will chase after our toes if he's on the floor. I don't run away from him but he nips at my toes. Or he starts chasing after the dog's paws, I don't want him on the floor so I quickly picks him up off the floor. He usually sneaks to get on the floor.....

Previous owners said that they did the health check up 2 month prior to Olivers moving into our house... I dont know if I should trust them or not. We found out that Oliver has something wrong with her eye and I have noticed it. (i have no idea why my husband didnt notice it at first hand when he picked her up from owners) I asked owners but she told me that she doesnt know what I am talking about. All the situation seems sooo fishy to me. That is why I explained my husband that probably something is wrong with Oliver and that is why they got rid of her soo fast and incredibly without any emotions of sadness.
If i would imagine I had to give up an Amazon I would cry...
Also I have noticed that she is breathing really hard.. (you can hear her breathing) .. why is that? Is it normal for Macaws?

Now I am suspicious if she is really 13 years old.. not older....

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
welcome to the forum and sorry oliver is sooo badly behaved, i agree with all methods mentioned for getting on with an angry bird :)

having a flighted bird that use to fly and attack, biting and clamping down with her beak and claws (mines a sennie) its no fun! it took near 2 yrs to get this behavior corrected, like you i found out nuts history after i got her!

body language and triggers (which you will come to understand over time) aside, i found ignoring the nut, so she would come to me (again over time) but when she felt social i learned fast not to over stay the welcome.
a routine helps in the long run, and don't worry about changing schedules etc, as long as its fairly consistent.

i feel so sorry for oliver, but at the same time i remember the fear i had with the nut, and at one point i have serious thoughts on re-homing her, but i took it slow, its hard going and we had a few set backs and change of tactics

she still bluffs and mock attacks us, and if we unwittingly annoy her she beak butts now :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.

I am from Russia...

but i live in US for already 6 years...

well... I am really upset now... Oliver screams a lot when she is inside of the cage and I started to have a headache. My husband is dissapointed with screams but still he can get to her and be friends not as me. So I cant let her out and in the same time we have to listen to her screams which are not pleasant... (she usually screams when I talk to my husband.. so obviously she even doesnt want me to talk to him)

I thought it would be easier for me to get her into my friends list but not as I thought.

Do you have the same problem too?
When did you get your Macaw?

Macaws will scream to get in on the conversation, that's nothing too unusual! You should just talk back to her by calling her name. Get a play stand and have her play on it. Try to perch train her to get her on it so you can put her away if she won't step up onto your hand so you can put her up if you needed to. Birds will scream so there's nothing you can really do to stop them by you can try by talking to her and get her to talk more then scream. They scream for attention and also scream to call as they're calling for their mate/flock. It will just take you time and patience to get her to calm down a bit.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
My birds are another species but I will tell you a story regardless.

Bella is 14 years old. I am her 4th home. She lost her previous homes because she was very agressive to the husband in each home, yet sweet to the wives who held her a lot. She also made an outrageous, loud honking sound over and over whenever she heard a man speak. Bella is also a plucker.

When I decided to give Bella a home my plan was to give her the chance to join my other eclectus in the bird room and work on stuff, chewing, etc but not to become close to me. I am married and did not want to continue the pattern set in her previous homes.

Bella was very confused when I did not offer to hold her when she lifted her foot to me. For about 2 weeks she climbed on the wire that divides my bird room from our living room. She honked whenever Gary talked. He said she sounded like the BART trains in San Francisco where we used to live!

Eventually she settled in and began fooling around with stuff, not worrying what I or Gary were doing. She stopped asking to be picked up. I only transported her when necessary and did not try to become close to her.

Now, a little more than two years later, Bella is an easy going bird who is friendly to men and women. I still rarely hold her and she rarely asks. We have a couple friends who she is fond of and who she asks to hold her. One is man.

I don't know if your husband would consider backing off a bit, but maybe that would help Oliver too. It's not fair to the bird to continue the same cycle that has caused her to lose her previous homes.

My husband does not interact with the birds in the way you want to, so we did not try to get Bella to become friends with him. In some ways I think that also helped. He was not afraid yet not interested and never angry with her. I forgot to tell you, she stopped honking when he spoke in about a month, I think.

I hope something I've said my help you a bit or at least give you some ideas to consider.

OP
T

Tatiana

Apr 24, 2013
welcome to the forum and sorry oliver is sooo badly behaved, i agree with all methods mentioned for getting on with an angry bird :)

having a flighted bird that use to fly and attack, biting and clamping down with her beak and claws (mines a sennie) its no fun! it took near 2 yrs to get this behavior corrected, like you i found out nuts history after i got her!

body language and triggers (which you will come to understand over time) aside, i found ignoring the nut, so she would come to me (again over time) but when she felt social i learned fast not to over stay the welcome.
a routine helps in the long run, and don't worry about changing schedules etc, as long as its fairly consistent.

i feel so sorry for oliver, but at the same time i remember the fear i had with the nut, and at one point i have serious thoughts on re-homing her, but i took it slow, its hard going and we had a few set backs and change of tactics

she still bluffs and mock attacks us, and if we unwittingly annoy her she beak butts now :)

Yes, I do have some serious thoughts of re-homing her too.. but i dont want to give up soo quickly. Specially when myself I dont have a family (they all live in Russia) I thought someone could really make me company in big house when my husband is not around....
I am just curious how much it should pass before she will get used to me?

OP
T

Tatiana

Apr 24, 2013
Macaws will scream to get in on the conversation, that's nothing too unusual! You should just talk back to her by calling her name. Get a play stand and have her play on it. Try to perch train her to get her on it so you can put her away if she won't step up onto your hand so you can put her up if you needed to. Birds will scream so there's nothing you can really do to stop them by you can try by talking to her and get her to talk more then scream. They scream for attention and also scream to call as they're calling for their mate/flock. It will just take you time and patience to get her to calm down a bit.

She does have a play stand but the thing is that I cant be around when she is out even on the play stand. She wants to get off and chase after me. Today when she was on it I opened the door of the room where I was and looked at her. Right away, her feathers went up and she got red like she is super mad.
I cant be in the room if she is out.

OP
T

Tatiana

Apr 24, 2013
My birds are another species but I will tell you a story regardless.

Bella is 14 years old. I am her 4th home. She lost her previous homes because she was very agressive to the husband in each home, yet sweet to the wives who held her a lot. She also made an outrageous, loud honking sound over and over whenever she heard a man speak. Bella is also a plucker.

When I decided to give Bella a home my plan was to give her the chance to join my other eclectus in the bird room and work on stuff, chewing, etc but not to become close to me. I am married and did not want to continue the pattern set in her previous homes.

Bella was very confused when I did not offer to hold her when she lifted her foot to me. For about 2 weeks she climbed on the wire that divides my bird room from our living room. She honked whenever Gary talked. He said she sounded like the BART trains in San Francisco where we used to live!

Eventually she settled in and began fooling around with stuff, not worrying what I or Gary were doing. She stopped asking to be picked up. I only transported her when necessary and did not try to become close to her.

Now, a little more than two years later, Bella is an easy going bird who is friendly to men and women. I still rarely hold her and she rarely asks. We have a couple friends who she is fond of and who she asks to hold her. One is man.

I don't know if your husband would consider backing off a bit, but maybe that would help Oliver too. It's not fair to the bird to continue the same cycle that has caused her to lose her previous homes.

My husband does not interact with the birds in the way you want to, so we did not try to get Bella to become friends with him. In some ways I think that also helped. He was not afraid yet not interested and never angry with her. I forgot to tell you, she stopped honking when he spoke in about a month, I think.

I hope something I've said my help you a bit or at least give you some ideas to consider.

Thank you so much for your useful story!
I read it to my husband and he said he will definitely try to do it (or at least he says so.. because as I understand he has a great time with Oliver already and doesnt want to give her up). My question is.. what do we need to do when Oliver wakes up and she wants to get out of the cage? Like today she was screaming: "HELP!HELP!" or "Open the door!" or "PAPA!" (i think she uses it for my husband) and she makes awful loud noises. In that case.. should he/me ignore her? Because I cant let her out.. she will bite of my toes.... :20:
Thank you!

Most Reactions