Please help me and my parrot - stress after a move?

Bedlam

Nov 9, 2013
I have had a wild-caught female (tattooed) Blue-fronted Amazon for 25 years (bought her when it was legal). For the last year I have noticed she is no longer growing her tail feathers and the feathers in one wing. I do not think she is plucking them. I never find pulled feathers.

After a recent move, she has been a nightmare. She is screaming and whining non-stop. She leans on the edge of her cage, lowers her head in some direction she wants to go, and shakes her wings. She has been doing this for most of her time with me on occasion, but lately, it's NON-STOP. She's literally driving me crazy.

I've been yelling at her and spraying her (I'm only human) and it's only stressing her out more, of course. A little spray here and there would always stop her from screaming. It no longer does. I have NO IDEA how to help her.

She chases me back and forth as I move throughout the kitchen (on top of her cage). If I leave the room, she screams non-stop until I come back. She always seems to want something, but nothing satisfies her. Food, attention, etc. It's never enough.

I'm not sure if she in her late years, or if she is ill. I'm trying to find an avian vet now.

If I pick her up, she IMMEDIATELY starts to mate with me. She only used to do this occasionally. But since the move (1 month now), she wants me to pick her up in the morning and tries to mate with me immediately. She has become terribly interested with small spaces (nesting behavior??).

I feel like she believes when I leave the room I'm not coming back, but if that's true, how do I calm her down?

She has been IMPOSSIBLE to live with since the move. She's driving my kids and I crazy. She's driving herself crazy.

I don't know what to do if I can't figure this out. I can't take it anymore.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I hope someone who can give you advice with your specific situation will chime in soon, but ***please*** discontinue yelling at her and spraying her. Those are not appropriate methods that should be used, and will only make things worse. :(

Is there anyone else that can handle her without her getting all hot n spicy?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
It sounds hormonal, has she ever tried mating with you in the past? how long did that last? Hopefully this phase will pass fairly quickly. I'm sure the move has help bring about these new behaviors and she should settle back down. I'm not sure yelling at her will help, most zon like it loud. Your response might be reinforcing her actions somewhat. I have found that because mating is part of a bonding ritual that using another bonding ritual to replace it might help. Preening(petting) is a good choice. Playing works with my hen. Sometimes when she want to mate in the AM i turn her on her back and play (pretty activily) with her and it works to distract her from mating. Most of us here are fans of positive reinforcement and don't use your tactics. If she's screaming and carrying on,walk away and send someone she doesn't like to go stand quietly beside her cage until she calms. She'll quickly learn that screaming only brings the "bad guy" not you her favorite. Of course be quick to reward her when she does good.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
You could try trick training her. If you google "clicker training parrots" or "target training parrots" tons of helpful stuff comes up. Teaching her tricks will provide a bonding opportunity and an outlet for her energy. You can even train her without touching her. If she starts behaving negatively, cue a trick to distract her. Also, try moving her cage into a secure spot, that's still included with the family. The corner of the living room, maybe by a window, is a good place. Give her extra toys and make sure she has a large cage. You can get a cage cover to encourage an earlier bed time. Daylight lasts longer during the breeding season, so mimicking the off season by decreasing daylight could help. I even heard (though it's a bit of a stretch) that frequent baths can stimulate breeding because in the wild more rain means more food, which is good for chicks. Don't let her in small spaces, or under blankets, and don't pet her in a stimulating way (lower back or belly/vent area). You could even pick her up with a perch so she's not on your hand, an out her on a play stand. This way she can be with you guys without being on you guys. Good luck and hang in there!

OP
B

Bedlam

Nov 9, 2013
It's not the mating issue that's the biggest problem now.

I thought I mentioned the whining in my first post, but in case I didn't, that's what's making me crazy, and probably the bird too.

Sometimes the bird seems content, but most of the time, she leans over her perch, shaking her feathers, as if leaning towards something she is looking at where she wants to go. She makes this sound annoying sound, every 2-3 seconds, for hours. It's like Chinese water torture to me. Seeing her distressed doesn't do wonders for me either.

I've tried everything. Feeding her, talking to her, picking her up, but she continues to go into this "mode" where she can't seem to just relax. She keeps shaking her wings (not a full flap) and pushing her head as low as she can without falling on the perch or the top of her cage.

Again. I've tried everything, and nothing works. Attention, food, trying to calmly talk to her, giving her something to play with, and so on. She goes back to that position, shaking and whining. Then other times she is fine, while nothing at all changes.

She still screams any time I leave the room. In the morning, the first thing she wants to do is get on my shouldn't. Sorry, I can't hold her all the time. I don't live for her and she's not a baby.

I am well aware that spraying doesn't help (well, sometimes it stops the screaming) and yelling is only stressing her more. But, I'm only human and it's working my last nerve.

If I can figure something out, I'll have to give her up (which I believe will just make her worse) or have her put down. I'm a nervous wreck because of the whining and not being able to do anything about it. She quite literally does this for HOURS in a row. It's awful.

OP
B

Bedlam

Nov 9, 2013
I hope someone who can give you advice with your specific situation will chime in soon, but ***please*** discontinue yelling at her and spraying her. Those are not appropriate methods that should be used, and will only make things worse. :(

Is there anyone else that can handle her without her getting all hot n spicy?

No, she won't let anyone else besides me pick her up. My kids aren't able to get through to her either.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
My Amazon is wild caught as well and sometimes he does the whine thing.
When he does this I know it can go on for a long time, so I try to play with him very actively, he like it rough.I get him to fly and chase me or introduce a brand new toy. He love big bottle caps from gatorade and such, also loves a thick magazine to chew and rip to shreds. Also I find this is a great time to give him a shower, a nice good soaking cause he loves to scream and open his wings and has a great old time. Or we turn on the music and sing and dance.
Basically all I'm saying is change up your return and try something new and fun a tired amazon is a happy, quiet and content amazon. finish with a nice treat!!!

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
My Orange Wing was a crier. You could hear him a mile down the road. He was an incredible mimic and could throw his voice like Jeff Dunham. On the days he was especially annoying I have him fly to his cage several times. I'd take him to another part of the room-cage was visible-and tell him to 'Fly! Fly!' And off he go. When he was tired and quiet, I'd sit nearby and read out loud. This really seemed to calm him down. This activity gave him an outlet for his frustration and much needed exercise. He liked doing this as he would shout, "Fly!Fly!" when he wanted to play this game.

Louise, my current Blue Front, cried like a baby when I first brought her home. Nothing sets off a woman more than the sound of a crying human baby. She exhibited the same behavior as you describe-except no mating of the hand-and gets herself all worked up.

Since she can't fly due to a wing trim (she came that way), I taught her how to find a treat on the cage. She loves this game and I make her work for her treat-she climbs all over the cage-up, down, around and when she's tired she stops. And she's quiet. She perch on the opened door, puff out her cheek feathers, curl up her right foot, and mumble softly.

Remember, your bird is just as frustrated as you are. She might be sensing your emotional state about the move and feeling insecure. Her entire world has changed and her routine has been disrupted. She doesn't understand why all these things happened so she wants to be with you-her security. She does not understand your anger and is trying even harder to be closer to you.

Get a good set of ear plugs. As a last resort put her cage in a quiet room and close the door when she's noisy. When she's quiet open the door to the room and spend quality time with her. Remember, at one time, you were her rock. And right now she desperately trying to find that person again.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
It's not the mating issue that's the biggest problem now.

I thought I mentioned the whining in my first post, but in case I didn't, that's what's making me crazy, and probably the bird too.

Sometimes the bird seems content, but most of the time, she leans over her perch, shaking her feathers, as if leaning towards something she is looking at where she wants to go. She makes this sound annoying sound, every 2-3 seconds, for hours. It's like Chinese water torture to me. Seeing her distressed doesn't do wonders for me either.

I've tried everything. Feeding her, talking to her, picking her up, but she continues to go into this "mode" where she can't seem to just relax. She keeps shaking her wings (not a full flap) and pushing her head as low as she can without falling on the perch or the top of her cage.

Again. I've tried everything, and nothing works. Attention, food, trying to calmly talk to her, giving her something to play with, and so on. She goes back to that position, shaking and whining. Then other times she is fine, while nothing at all changes.

She still screams any time I leave the room. In the morning, the first thing she wants to do is get on my shouldn't. Sorry, I can't hold her all the time. I don't live for her and she's not a baby.

I am well aware that spraying doesn't help (well, sometimes it stops the screaming) and yelling is only stressing her more. But, I'm only human and it's working my last nerve.

If I can figure something out, I'll have to give her up (which I believe will just make her worse) or have her put down. I'm a nervous wreck because of the whining and not being able to do anything about it. She quite literally does this for HOURS in a row. It's awful.

Perhaps i could offer a little insight.She's needing her mate. Especially since the move when things changed. All of her bonding ploys/instincts are meet with "punishment" ,She can't figure out what's happening. If you don't like what ever tactic she's using to gain your attention use one that that you can do. If you don't accept her attempts at mating for reassurance then preen her like her mate would. You aren't acting like her mate would. Unfortunately you're only seeing the world though your eyes, not hers. She trying to fit in, best she knows how. You're stressing your companion to the max. She doesn't understand you don't have time for her anymore. A few seconds of quality time would help. Want to stop the scxreaming ?? send the kids she dislikes to stand quietly beside her cage until she calms. She'll stop when she finds screaming only brings the nonfavorite peoples. Of course you have to reward her when she does good. Ever lose a partner? That's how she feels.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, Bedlam. I've been looking over this thread and I see that a lot of very good advice has been offered. The distraction and exercise techniques suggested would likely help quite a bit with your situation.

Thing is, even the best of these suggestions will take time before they can get your bird where you want her to be. Time and persistence. And you sound like you're at the end of your rope where she is concerned. If you're at the point where you're actually considering putting her down as an option, then maybe it would be best for her... and for you, if you look about rehoming her. Maybe look for a Rescue in your area and take her there. There might even be people in this forum who would know of one near you.

I'm sorry to be the wet blanket on this one, but I think it would be for the best. It doesn't sound like you and this amazon can find happiness in each other any longer.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
I respectfully disagree, a little time each day can make a world of difference. Henpecked is right, she is looking for reassuring and bond. I got home from work tonight and played some YouTube music videos for my amazon, we all sang lol. Now he is sitting cooing away in his cage watching hubby make dinner.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I'd rather you be right than me in this instance, SandyBee. ;)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
I respectfully disagree, a little time each day can make a world of difference. Henpecked is right, she is looking for reassuring and bond. I got home from work tonight and played some YouTube music videos for my amazon, we all sang lol. Now he is sitting cooing away in his cage watching hubby make dinner.

I hear ya ,girl.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
This bird is a wild caught Amazon, yeah? So at one point, it was in the jungle, minding it's own business, and someone terrorized it and put it in a cage, where it is now COMPLETELY dependent on you for it's well being? 25 years it's been with you? You moved and the bird is displaying signs of extreme distress, and giving her away or KILLING HER (let's not mince words here) are options that you think are viable?

Sorry, but I think you owe this bird a little ( a LOT actually) more patience and understanding.

Forgive me, but whenever I hear people talk of the possibility of "re homing" their bird it really seems to me, that they have actually made up their mind to get rid of the bird, and they are just seeking affirmation from others that it is the acceptable thing to do. I TRULY hope that you follow all of the advice given here, until something works.

I wish I could offer some constructive suggestions to help your bird, unfortunately, that you spoke about having her destroyed I feel like the best thing for her might actually be for you to find someone a little more concerned with her well being. I hope I am wrong.

Most Reactions

Latest posts