Please help me!!

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
I know this isn't a parrot but please, I really need some help. My quail is suffering from what once looked like vitamin B deficiency, then bumblefoot, and now-- this. His poor little leg is very swelled up, especially in certain areas. It's only one leg, and it's swollen in the hock and the ball of the foot. I soaked his foot in an antibiotic solution and he's been recieving lots of vitamins. He's very lively, takes food from my hand, and is still a very loving bird. Poo has not changed, nor has his eating habits. He gets around pretty well, besides how he limps.

I you know what I should do, suggestions are always welcome.

OP
parrotqueen

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Please?? Anyone??

I need to know very soon; I don't know if this is something he could die from!

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
If his life is in question, please take him to the vet! I don't have any advice other then that. Hopefully it's nothing too serious, but you need to find out what's wrong with him.

OP
parrotqueen

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
The thing is, I don't know if this could kill him or not. It scares me when I read things on the internet about animals (and even humans) dying from what seems like nothing. I have a lot of silly worries all the time, so maybe I'm just overreacting.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Poor little thing. GC is right, the vet is the best option. Even if someone on here was able to tell you what was wrong, I would still recommend the vet to be safe. Do you have any photos? That might help someone give you some advice.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I wish I could help and give you some advice. All I can offer is positive thoughts for your little guy. Good luck! I hope all turns out okay.

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
Well, you need to take that bird to an avian vet because it's not a matter of whether it's fatal or not, it's a matter of the bird suffering and, if she is limping and has a swolen foot, she has to be suffering.

Without seing the bird and knowing nothing about her diet and general living conditions, it's impossible to even guess what could be wrong. Normally, bumble foot requires two dosages of Baytril daily for about 15 days as well as changing the perches or bedding (which is what normally causes the sores that end up getting infected) but it doesn't cause swelling, it's just a bad looking sore. Swelling in the foot or ankle is usually caused by gout which is a dietary problem (it's diagnosed through blood work, the uric acid levels would be high). Some avian vets will prescribe allopurinol but I don't like to use it with birds because of their weak livers, I would rather treat the bird (and have successfully in the past) with natural remedies and a special diet.

PS Birds don't suffer from vitamin B deficiency.

OP
parrotqueen

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
PS Birds don't suffer from vitamin B deficiency.

That's interesting. My chicken forum said that low vitamin B can cause leg issues in fowl.

He has been recieving natural baby vitamins that I picked up at my health food store, and his foot was soaked in an antibiotic paste (also reccomended by the chicken forum). I've seen over-night improvement in his entire leg. The swelling went down significantly, and so has his limping.

Believe me, I'd love to take this guy to the vet. I'll talk with my parents about the whole thing.

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I have to agree with the others to get to a vet if possible. If it is Vit B deficiency the best way to combat is with an injection. Although not a common ailment Vit B def can cause issues with legs and toes - often paralysis and can be caused by freezing the food (vit b looses it's potency when frozen) or parasites.
If it's gout - cherries and strawberries neutralize the uric acid (I understand strabs are high in pestacides in the US so opt for organic if poss) lots of dark green veges esp brocoli for Vit C & Folic acid & pineapple also help with this condition.
Good Luck and please keep us posted

Most Reactions