Please help! My male green cheek conure has been acting different

SunnyBoy

Feb 12, 2020
Parrots
Two green cheek conures
So lately, my boyo has been kind of puffed up. The other green cheek who we don’t know the gender of has been grooming him a lot more. His feet are not hot, and he still eats, drinks, and reacts to things, and he still plays, but I’m very worried. He also digs at the bottom of his cage. I noticed this yesterday when I got home from school. How do I help him? Is he sick? I have really bad anxiety and I’ve had him for a long time. He helps me a lot. He’s around seven years old. Please help!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Get him to a certified avian vet for an exam, gram-stain, and possible blood-work...when was the last time he was checked? If he has something contagious, the other bird probably does too (even if asymptomatic). Birds can carry disease without ever showing symptoms themselves...
The fact that he is acting differently is reason for concern, given the fact that they hide illness as long as possible for self-preservation's sake...unlike most animals.

Why do you have him with a bird whose gender is unknown? Babies come with a significant risk level for the female bird's health (among other things). How long have they been together? Is he digging around actively down there or just sitting? Does he still sleep perched? A bird at the bottom of the cage can be a very bad sign if they are just sitting or sleeping, but it can also be hormonal or due to foraging etc-- what concerns me is the fact that it is new behavior.

Last edited:
OP
S

SunnyBoy

Feb 12, 2020
Parrots
Two green cheek conures
Get him to a certified avian vet for an exam, gram-stain, and possible blood-work...when was the last time he was checked? If he has something contagious, the other bird probably does too (even if asymptomatic). Birds can carry disease without ever showing symptoms themselves...
The fact that he is acting differently is reason for concern, given the fact that they hide illness as long as possible for self-preservation's sake...unlike most animals.

Why do you have him with a bird whose gender is unknown? Babies come with a significant risk level for the female bird's health (among other things). How long have they been together? Is he digging around actively down there or just sitting? Does he still sleep perched? A bird at the bottom of the cage can be a very bad sign if they are just sitting or sleeping, but it can also be hormonal or due to foraging etc-- what concerns me is the fact that it is new behavior.
I’m sorry, I’m new to this place and I’m having difficulties working it out. He’s actively digging around. I don’t have the money to get the other birds gender checked and my mom won’t do it either. I don’t know if I can convince my mom to take them to a vet. I can try my best but I can’t drive and I don’t have a job. They’ve been together for a year. He doesn’t sleep in a perch, he sleeps in a little hut cuddled up with the other bird.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
get rid of that hut---it is likely a hormonal trigger and that may very well be your issue (but they can also kill birds for other reasons). NO adult bird needs a hut...period..Yes, they "like" them, but it is hormonal/sexual and may be adding to your problems here. They are dangerous for other reasons too---intestinal blockages, strangulation etc.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Do you know it's a boy? It could be an egg bound female. That would be an emergency. Can you feel lightly ( like touching your eye lid) between the legs, by the tail, and the tummy, you might be able to feel the egg. When my GCC laid eggs I could feel them. But if they can't lay the egg, they can die. Not saying at all that this is what is going on. It's just one tbi g that could be possible.

I'm so sorry that are in such a tough place, and have difficulty with family , and getting healthcare for your bird.

What do poops look like? Can you post a picture of your bird, and poops. Might help us, might not. It's so hard to help via the Internet.

Most Reactions