please help

lynn

May 15, 2011
south wales great Briton
we bought a hahns macaw he is 2years old and tame but he lived with a man and he has no time for him any more he will fly on my shoulder and then attack me he;s bitten my neck my ears and my arm really bad bites too whats wrong with him

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Didn't you just get a ringneck too???

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Neglected plus he don't know you! Do your research as there are plenty of stuffs on here. Most of us answer the same questions over and over. Google works wonders plus there plenty of it on here as well you just need to skim through it. You brought the bird home so now you must read through different areas. There's too many stuff that can be going on. I didn't have anyone there giving me full details from the beginning. I did my own research and read lots of books and magazines to learn plus over time once you get to know your bird it goes easier.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Hey now! I've owned birds half my life and I still ask a TON of questions on here. I am always looking for a real persons input, not just what I read online, or in a book.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
So you have a ringneck you can't get near, and a macaw that attacks you? Did you do any research on them before you bought them? I hope you don't have these parrots in the same room.. They should not be together for at least a month.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Also, do get some books as stated above. The only thing I can say is these parrots should be given time to adjust to you. Leave them in thier cages, sit next to them and talk to them. The macaw isn't tame if he hasn't been handled. He is probably confused, and very scared. You have to give this time. Good luck

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
When every few days you read, "I just bought a bird, he bites what can I do?" It gets tiresome as the same question have been answered countless times.

For one thing, we're not there and can only give you limited advice. Another when you bring one trouble bird in after another without knowing what to do your asking for trouble.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Welcome to the board, A couple of things, One, if any parrot bites, the last place you want them is on a shoulder. You stated that he will fly onto your shoulder. This means that his wings are not clipped. You should clip the wings so he depends on you for everything.
Never allow a Parrot to bite you. If they do, you need to use time outs. Time outs are when a Parrot does something you do not like and they are returned to their cage for no more then 5 min at a time. When the parrot is not biting, give lots of praise and reward them with a treat. tell them what a good bird they are.
Anytime a person brings home a new bird or rehome bird, it takes time to bond with them. Some Parrots bond faster then others but they are worth it in the end. Best of luck Joe

Lithiumflower9

May 16, 2011
There are a lot of reasons he could be biting you. A book might have the answer or maybe it could be something you don't quite understand. Could be just not being use to you, the fact he was neglected for a while, he could be terrified just settling in, stressed out, hormones, a certain color your wearing, maybe not really as tame as his owner said, territory, just likes to bite ears the list goes on. I would suggest an avian behavioralist, a vet, or even some one familiar with parrots might be able to better assist you if they can see what is going on. Videos are another great thing that can help.

To keep him from flying to you, at least till you both get an understanding of each other, you might consider taking him to get a clip so he can't get to your shoulder so easily, I would suggest the first trim you get at your vet so you can ask him/her some questions and maybe they can direct you to someone in your area. Till then don't let him near your face, even if you think its going well. Good luck with them and I hope you do find someone around you.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Then he prefers guys. That can be changed but it requires you knowing what to do. Check out target training on youtube. I like that method quite a bit!!!

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Hope you can get this figured out. Good luck.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Also MikeyTN, I don't always read every post made on here, and have probably repeated a question. It happens.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Also MikeyTN, I don't always read every post made on here, and have probably repeated a question. It happens.

That's not an issue, when you do it twice with two birds then there's a problem. If you don't know a whole lot about birds, I would not suggest in two birds that needs training at the sametime. I have read her other post so that's the reason why.

Seriously though, things I know are self taught. I've raised rabbits, fish, birds and I've had dogs, mice, bugs, saltwater reef tank and cats. I don't go make the same mistake twice nor I post what should I do. I learn from my mistakes and if its life threatening I bring them to the attention of my vet. My vet clinic backs down when I get mad cause I never get mad through the years I've been there and they know I bring all my pets there and my friends and family. They treat me with respect and apologize when they make a mistake. Free service when they really did something bad, they did that once and the owner came out to apologize to me in person. That's why I keep going back.

cannon_farms

Apr 29, 2011
Monroe Ga
Parrots
1 Goffin Cockatoo 1 lesser Sulfur
If hes attacking you hes not tame, i really dont even like using that word with birds because when it comes down to it they are not domesticated and are wild animals that for the most part can adjust into being loving pets. The bird is dominating you or sees you as a sexual threat or interested, depending on the attack. i cant phantom the thought that you cant hear him coming enough to defend yourself. Clip his wings or have some one do it, even with well behaved parrots its typically a two person job. Is there a bird person or vet near you that could maybe help you figure out what his problem is and how to deal with it? How much dark quiet time is the bird getting?

cannon_farms

Apr 29, 2011
Monroe Ga
Parrots
1 Goffin Cockatoo 1 lesser Sulfur

That's not an issue, when you do it twice with two birds then there's a problem. If you don't know a whole lot about birds, I would not suggest in two birds that needs training at the sametime. I have read her other post so that's the reason why.

Seriously though, things I know are self taught. I've raised rabbits, fish, birds and I've had dogs, mice, bugs, saltwater reef tank and cats. I don't go make the same mistake twice nor I post what should I do. I learn from my mistakes and if its life threatening I bring them to the attention of my vet. My vet clinic backs down when I get mad cause I never get mad through the years I've been there and they know I bring all my pets there and my friends and family. They treat me with respect and apologize when they make a mistake. Free service when they really did something bad, they did that once and the owner came out to apologize to me in person. That's why I keep going back.

Perhaps a sticky of what to do with a bitting bird??? maybe one on bird behavioral problems. Got to remember to not every case is going to be the same, I do think the poster has gotten in over her head however as bird lovers on a forum made for birds I personally feel responsible to help those that ask for it as much as I can. I have been around birds a great deal however these two cockatoos are good at puzzling me.

Mike

Mar 15, 2011
Media
Albums
Atlanta, GA USA
Parrots
A Greenwing, a Sun Conure, and a Hahn's Macaw
Sounds like your bird has a socialization problem. If he's tame to a male, but violent to a female he has not been socialized very well. This is actually a good thing. It means he has the trained behavior to act correctly. You just need to get him to show that behavior to you, instead of the violent behavior.

Read some of these other threads where people give advice--especially on target training. I keep giving out this link and everyone must think I believe this is the holy grail of training solutions. It isn't, but it is an example of what proper training can do for your bird. This link is just one method to consider. There are plenty of others. I suggest you spend some time on Training Parrots | Parrot Training DVDS & Books.

Here the video of an example of one type of training which can help.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbXHrqqEIp4"]YouTube - ‪Parrot Bites Person - How To Train Your Parrot to Step Up Without Biting‬‏[/ame]

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Mike,

I've posted that video to her once already....

Most Reactions

Latest posts