Please Welcome Our New Baby Greenwing

OP
GW.Joe

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Thanks for the update. Everything going well?

Most things are good, he says many things (and a one thing he shouldn't say LOL) he is a picky eater and wants some of what ever we are eating

What? Can't You Hear Me?
gw-joe-albums-presenting-our-new-baby-greenwing-picture17060-what-can-t-you-hear-me.jpg

The Look of Disturbed Meditation By a Camera
gw-joe-albums-presenting-our-new-baby-greenwing-picture17062-look-disturbed-meditation-camera.jpg

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
Joe , I am on page 14 of your thread and need to get close, so I jumped to the end because the thread grew faster than I can get ccaught up. I am in Wilming ton DE with a greenwing from M&D 9/9/16 born 7/7/16

Rudy is his name and if you are still 30 minutes and would like your bird to meet his younger brother, Let me know. i've got a lot of stories to tell. Rudy is a pistol a very loving boy bird.

He just got his first vet check up, should get results any day now for a 425 rediculous cost. Any ways i harness him and take him to th park, it would be fun to have potentially his youngerr bro or sis in attendence. I'll PM you when I finally get the entire thread digested.

BTW from what I noticed we may have similar habits/issues with our related flock members

Thanks for the update. Everything going well?

Most things are good, he says many things (and a one thing he shouldn't say LOL) he is a picky eater and wants some of what ever we are eating

What? Can't You Hear Me?
gw-joe-albums-presenting-our-new-baby-greenwing-picture17060-what-can-t-you-hear-me.jpg

The Look of Disturbed Meditation By a Camera
gw-joe-albums-presenting-our-new-baby-greenwing-picture17062-look-disturbed-meditation-camera.jpg

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I've given it a lot of thought in my short time here, I've come to the conclusion that has something to do with the nature of bird people

I guess it's that darn "bird gene" in some form that Mark was talking about the other day LOL
I think 'parrot people' have learned a little something called 'flock mentality' from our little feathered companions whether we realize it or not. You know the old saying about birds of a feather.... People who 'get' parrots tend to 'get' each other.

And I've been saying for years it takes a certain kind of person to live with a parrot, and if you aren't inherently a bird person, you just aren't going to do well with one around. Most people hear one screech and see the mess (or get a chomp) and don't understand why anyone would want a bird. I think many bird people can agree if they DIDN'T have those 'elements' in the house, they'd go a tad nuts! The 18 month span from the time I graduated high school (which in my family at least is pretty much your ticket out the door) to the time we adopted Kiwi had a major 'void'. I *NEEDED* a bird around and am forever grateful to the rescue for bending their age rules so when Kiwi was being surrendered, we didn't miss the *perfect* bird (for us at least, I do love my Kiwi and can so relate to that feeling of *knowing* when you find the *right* bird). Those of us with the so called "bird gene" sure are a fortunate bunch:D

And please please please don't take offense, but I really want to bring up a concern I have and hope you'll mull over my point of view here. Not with the bird itself, but all those sterility measures:52:. I know they are trying to do whats best for their birds to prevent disease (and thats a good thing), but living in a bubble really weakens the immune system and prevents a baby from forming a strong one because it never has any practice fighting off 'everyday' harmless germs. I am also assuming your bird(as most are these days) is formula-fed, meaning it is also not getting the natural immune boost from it's parents that wild or parent fed babies do.

When this new bird gets home, its not reasonable to expect the same level of sterility in a lived in home as in a professional breeding operation. Not suggesting your home is dirty at all, but all it takes to introduce germs a healthy immune system could fight off (but a weak one may not) is someone forgetting to take off their shoes, one of your kids setting their backpack down near the bird, some leaves blowing in, the bird running around on the floor even.... Your bird can't be kept away from the outside world forever, so I hope you will consider how you plan on gradually introducing the normal, everyday things this bird will come in contact with in such a way he or she won't go from sterile to bombarded all at once and totally overload it's capability to fight off normally harmless germs. Again, no offense meant, just something I would *personally* want to consider and have an action plan for handling if I were bringing home a bird from a sterile environment rather than a normal home environment:)

Geeez...Amy should have passed on YEARS AGO :eek: She walks in the grass...she picks up and chews twigs..sometimes even noshes on bugs/grubs! :eek: :rolleyes: She bathes in the sink/shower/ on a tree branch outside..rides the handlebars of a carriage at walmart <who knows how many people have held that bar,and with WHAT on their hands??? :26: :15: :58:
And at 27 years young,has never been "sick" in her life ;) Am I a "bad" Daddy for allowing her to do this??? She just might as well live her entire existence in HER HOUSE!

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts