PLS Help - My Male Electus is biting all of a sudden

EclectusCpt

Oct 28, 2014
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Eclectus (male)
My boy is almost 1yr and had him since he was 8 wks (got from pet shop). He is very loved & free to roam the house. All of a sudden he is biting (drawing blood). Every now & again he goes mad in his cage, flapping his wings & completely drenching himself in his water bowl. This is not normal for him, because he is normally very loving and playful. Please help, the kids are getting scared of him and I am even scared to pick him up. PLEASE HELP!!:green2: He is one of the family.

AvianLover80

Oct 26, 2014
Media
Beaumont, TX
Parrots
I am saving for a male Eclectus. He shall be named, Malachi. My mom owns a female named Rajah. I love her but want my own companion! :)
Has he molted yet? This could be a sign of molting... Our female is a little younger, almost 6 months and she went "crazy" for the first few days, now she is calming down and we can physically see the change in her feathers.
Also, what is his diet?

Last edited:

AvianLover80

Oct 26, 2014
Media
Beaumont, TX
Parrots
I am saving for a male Eclectus. He shall be named, Malachi. My mom owns a female named Rajah. I love her but want my own companion! :)
If I'm way off by the molting idea, let me know and I'll try to do some research for you. I am planning on getting a male soon, so honestly I'd like to know and help you as well.

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
I'm thinking hormonal, or just him trying to play. Have you bite pressure trained him? Mango has been rough housing, but not biting hard, we keep letting him know to be gentle. He does get angry sometimes, but we can tell by his body language. Just take your time. Is he clipped?

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Have you trained him to step up onto a stick? This is very important to do. Is he a Solomon? He might be getting somewhat hormonal but he could just have started becoming more independent and testing which I think is more likely. I would keep the kids from picking him up until you get this under control, how old are the kids? You need to find a way to get over being fearful of being bit, he will sense that and know that you are afraid, not good! I always say "You have a parrot, you will get bit at some point, but the good news is no one ever died from a parrot bite."

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Drenching himself in his water bowl = just taking a bath. I don't want to come out. Doesn't necessarily mean he's angry.

He's too young to really be hormonal yet.

As for the biting, it is probably a testing phase. He has just now discovered his bite pressure, and is figuring out what he can and cannot do with it. He is pushing his boundaries - just like a toddler throws tantrums - to see if the adults will cater to the child's every whim. If it backfire's on him he will stop. If he gets his way by biting, you just reinforced the biting and trained him to bite.

You wouldn't let a screaming toddler run the house.

Don't let the bird run the house either.

Same concept. Different species. Just as smart, and manipulative.

Does someone need a time out?!

Most Reactions