Pluck vs Molting

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
Do feathers look different if they are plucked vs molted? I'm finding some feathers, but I don't know if plucked feathers look different than molted feathers...:green:

OP
QuackQuack

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
Speaking of feathers, here is one of his pretty tail feathers. This one looks a little threadbare from age, but his whole tail is made up of these identical feathers - each with a green spot in the middle! It makes for a NEATO display :eek:

Attachments

• IMAG0382.jpg
    IMAG0382.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 2,416

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
Beautiful feather! If the bird has bald or noticable fuzzy grey patches (or bare to skin patches), the feathers have blood on the end or are missing the shaft (when they clip them off rather than pluck) then you might have a feather plucking/chewing problem. If they just look a bit shabby, are losing feathers from all over without any major difference in their overall plumage then they are likely just moulting. :)

OP
QuackQuack

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
I'm pretty sure what is going on is molting, but he is looking a little sparse over all - no bare patches just not as full. He was flapping in the kitchen an a few feathers fell off, so I had the thought if he were plucking that probably wouldn't happen?:confused:

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Kiwi is losing alot of feathers as well. When she flaps feathers come off. However the other day I walked in and she was holding a large feather in her foot and was chewing on the end. What does this mean? I am kind of freaking out that she is plucking now. It looked like a kid out in the country chewing on a piece of grass.

OP
QuackQuack

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
Man ALIVE is quack losing a ton of feathers!!! I can't believe he has any on him! How long does a molt last!? I'm getting tired of feather detail!

Most Reactions

Latest posts