Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I went with a friend of mine to a breeder to take a look at his new baby (red bellied parrot) While I was there I heard a different type bird upstairs and asked the breeder who/what that was. He said it was a rose breasted cockatoo, well after I said that I love them he said well... I'll bring him down. Well, down he came with such a pathetic looking bird, my heart just broke. This boy (only one year old) was wearing an e-collar and basically didn't have a feather from the neck down that he hadn't destroyed, in fact before getting the collar he started to self mutilate his leg. The breeder told me the long sad history of this bird, apparently he had suffered a respiratory infection before he was weaned due to aspirating his formula, he doesn't get much attention at all and now is in this shape. The breeder said that he wants to get him in to a good and loving home because with all the birds he has he just doesn't have the time for him. My question is this, has anyone ever had luck in turning a bird this young around. Meaning, I have always heard that when self mutilation and feather destruction starts this young it is very , very difficult to stop. I am of course wanting to help this little sweetie, he does have the sweetest personality, even with all that he has been through he is just sweet as can be. (of course when I was rubbing his head and petting him, he was eating it up, when I stopped he looked me right in the eye and did the wolf whistle, he already knows how to flirt with the ladies!) I would love input from others, I would love to hear if anyone has ever heard of a bird this bad ever stopping this behavior.
I forgot to mention that he has tons of feathers coming in but all the ones coming in on his back are kind of long and curly looking, they are still in the sheaths however they are not straight like most feathers that are coming in they are kind of long and wavy. Of course he can't get to them with the collar on.

Last edited:

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
You might have a better shot at this bird than what hes in now . Maybe you could help him [but realize it could be a very long process] If hes mutilating your going to have to use the collar [they make soft ones] Ive had one thats all Ill say [ I dont want to hear its about their freaking diet is the cause of this and thats whats going to cure it ] Its more than that in RB2s at this point . I think a 180 with him being with you and building his confidence [is where id start] your relationship might trigger him to be happier and want to play with toys [and of course have him on a good diet] I also think if hes taught to free flight that helps alot [I think copper did this ,and Rosie had come to her plucking] . Either way I feel for this little guy and hope for the best.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I think he could be turned around, it would definitely take a lot of work, and it's possible the sweet thing may never stop 100%, but you could greatly improve the plucking. If it was me I would want him in an instant. from what you describe he sounds wonderful! You can spoil him and give him the attention he craves.

I do think flying helps with plucking. When a bird is allowed to fly they use their feathers, a bird who is using it's feathers is more likely to want to take care of them. I don't free fly Rosie, I fly her indoors, and outside her her aviator harness attached to a 100' rope. Also, galahs really should fly anyway for health reasons. They are desert/harsh climate birds who can survive on very little in the wild. In captivity they need a very good low fat diet and lots of exercise because they have a excellent metabolism. Without flight they often have their life span cut in half. Fully flighted birds can live 60+ years.

Another thing that helps is trick training and lots of foraging toys. Trick training teaches a bird to use it's mind, and even when the session is over they will think about what thy learned. Foraging toys are just fantastic! If I have all of Rosie's foraging toys set up she will be a very happy birdie.
Rosie is a very sweet galah, and isn't fond of destroying wood. But she loves toys she can preen(I don't use cotton preening toys).

It seems this galah plucked due to illness, is he all better? Often being ill makes their skin itchy. If you are able to keep a collar on him, soft collars are good for long term, until he has most, if not all his feathers back, I think you have a great chance of greatly limiting the plucking.

Last edited:

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
What a sad little fellow! I think that you have your work cut out for you. It is certainly not impossible, but, will be difficult. He'll need a lot of attention, and plenty of showers. Bathing greatly helps with recovering pluckers by keeping the skin moist & the pin feathers not so irritating. I think your mind is already made up. Good luck with him! There is a special place in my heart for naked, plucking birds.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
I think it is really, really important that you see the results of all disease testing the breeder has done on this bird. PBFD, Avian Polyoma Virus, Psittacosis etc.

Please do not buy this bird if it has not been tested and/or the breeder will not show you the print out from the lab.

AngelicaandBandit

Apr 25, 2013
Awww poor little guy, I have a galah and I cant imagine...

A good way to start is bathing him constantly, it will make new feathers grow in more easily. As mentioned above trick training will keep him focused. And the biggest one of all TOYS TOYS TOYS TOYS!! Foraging toys would be perfect in your case, will definitely keep him mentally stimulated. A healthy diet consisting of a bariety of fruits and vegetables and pellets will have healthy feathers grow in. Take the little guy to the vets have tests run on him for any illnesses first.

All the best, helping this little one is such a beautiful thing :') Then process will be long but you'll get there.

OP
brianlinkles

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Thanks for all the responses! The breeder has had NO tests done. I have already asked about this. I plan on taking him in and getting all the blood work done. I am concerned because he does want money for him and I know I'm looking at hundreds at the first vet visit. I will pay it however I wish he was just giving him to me so that he had a better life. However, this isn't the case and I already can't stop thinking about him so I guess I am destined to have this little guy in our family!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Tell the breeder that you will pay for the bird AFTER blood tests to find out what is wrong. You pay for tests, and go from there. Remember, full price for a bird is for birds that are young, hand tamed, full feathered, with no behavior problems. This poor little guy has lots of problems. And will take a lot of time, money & extra effort to bring into normal health. Aside from any medical issues that are found. Good luck & thanks for trying to help this mistreated angel.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
What is this breeder's practice regarding a health guarantee for the birds he sells? How many days do you have to get the bird tested? This will affect your friend and her red bellied parrot youngster also.

Unless your vet uses a lab with a 24 hour turnaround time for DNA/PCR disease testing, it may be very unrealistic to buy a bird with a 72 hour health guarantee. I would ask for a one week money back health guarantee.

I know you want to help this bird but you will NEVER forgive yourself if you bring disease into your home and Dorothy and Moses get sick.

Actually, I would not take the bird home before the disease test results are back.

Normally I'm all for helping birds but your description of this fellow has me very concerned. I hope you are exagerating about the odd feathers on his back.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
He's only asking for around 300-400 right? It seems more like an adoption fee than a sale. Galahs cost $1,500-$2,500.

The bird has been to a vet right? Because it had the infection and he got a collar? I wonder why he wouldn't do any testing :( poor bird, see if any of your close and trusted friends could watch him until the testing comes back, basic QT procedure for any new parrot.

I would explain your vet concerns, and the price you will be spending on only the first visit. He may be willing to lower his price. He's already lost money on the galah and is only trying to get some of it back, but he should of never had that bird anyway!

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
As much as I pity the poor baby, I'd be ever so careful of bringing him home to your existing flock WITHOUT prior extensive tests. :)

OP
brianlinkles

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Yes, the bird was at the vet when it was a baby with the infection. He ordered the e-collar online. I asked if the bird had a blood test and he said no. I would want all tests done. As far as the feathers being odd looking, I am not exagerating unfortunatley. I think they are so funny looking almost like spaghetti coming down the back because he is unable to preen due to the collar and they have these very long, long sheaths on them. I just want to bathe him, and help him with these feathers. I still keep thinking about this adorable rose colored head and crest looking at me with so much trust. He just looked like he wanted love so much. I know that he is really just trying to get a bit back on the bird and that it is soooo much less than a normal priced baby however I know how much his vet bills are going to end up being. I am willing to pay what he is asking however I would like to take him to the vet first to see what I'm looking at.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
I read somewhere that if the sheath does not get removed from the feather the feather will eventually not be viable. Perhaps this is why they are curling and strange looking.
Usually not a problem because the birds preen themselves, but in this case he can't.
I hope that you can get him tested and maybe help him out. Good Luck

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well I'd like to say you have a better chance now then ever... It is proven plucking and mutation starts from day one so the sooner you get to it the sooner you can fix it. I have had success in stopping plucked and mutalators it is a long hard road and takes time, usually years to get it weaned out of them , but it can be fixed and it is very very rewarding. I'd say go for it! And if you have questions of my expirences with how I got some to stop then just private message me or post on here, we are all here to help! And I would love to see this guy turn around.

This all being said go with everyone else on the health concerns as well, I am on board with them on that! Make sure your flock is protected first I don't care if it is my dream bird I would never want to risk my flock and I'm sure you wouldn't ether:)

Last edited:

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I read somewhere that if the sheath does not get removed from the feather the feather will eventually not be viable. Perhaps this is why they are curling and strange looking.
Usually not a problem because the birds preen themselves, but in this case he can't.
I hope that you can get him tested and maybe help him out. Good Luck

The sheath issue is true, we took in about six months ago a cockatoo without a upper mandible and her feathers where she can't get well with her feet(under her wings) are like this as well, it is a matter of them losing them and then you being the great owner and helping them or at least in this case I will have to preen this girl everyday of her life once she loses these horrible unsheathed feathers she has!

OP
brianlinkles

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Ugh, that's depressing. I thought that I could bathe him and then help him preen out the long spaghetti looking sheaths on his back. I thought maybe they would fluff out then. So if I am understanding correctly they are just sheaths without the feather inside? Do I try and crack the sheaths or just leave them? I really have not seen anything like them. I guess the vet will tell me how to deal with this. When I get him I will post pictures of him, I keep thinking about him and how he looked at me with those big eyes like he was asking me to come home to my house. Ugh, what have I gotten myself into??

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
There are feathers but they are just very compressed and honestly you will rip them out quicker then preening them open, better to just let them most them IMO.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
"and how he looked at me with those big eyes like he was asking me to come home to my house. Ugh, what have I gotten myself into??"

I've spent much of my life looking into those eyes. Rescued animals seem to know that you're there to help them. I've seen animals of all kinds turn their lives around from many situations. And it always starts with that look.

Most Reactions