Plucking?

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl
Lovebirds - Salsa and Peeps

Angel Cockatiels - Chloe and Quasimodo
Hi all..as some ofyou know I got Purl (D2) just a few weeks ago. We have come a long way with her letting me scratch her head, offering me the underside of her wing and last 2 days when she has been out of her cage she jumps in my lap and climbs up onto my shoulder (not very comfortable about this yet..nor do I think I should ever get too comfortable with it..big beak..soft body parts)

Anyway...I was petting her yesterday, stroking her chest and when I did the feather's parted I found an area with no feathers at all on it. No pins, nothing. But she's fully feathered around it, no redness that would look like she's pulling or plucking. When I sit with her she's not preening her chest, just the normal little bit on her wings, her back, rubbing her head with her wing etc. She seems to be molting a bit which could be the stress of her move here..again not an excessive molt either..head and back of her neck. She loves me preening her pins and if I was willing to do it she'd let me do it for hours.

I guess I'm just scared because I've heard and seen some horror stories with cockatoo plucking. Again I don't see any excessive preening or see feather's all over the place. Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks!
Chris and Purl:white1:

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
There's a little area on D2's chest that is a normal little bald spot. If there's no redness or anything she should be fine. But a vet visit for a new bird is always a good idea. Illness causes plucking as well as stress. She sounds beautiful.

OP
Purl

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl
Lovebirds - Salsa and Peeps

Angel Cockatiels - Chloe and Quasimodo
There's a little area on D2's chest that is a normal little bald spot. If there's no redness or anything she should be fine. But a vet visit for a new bird is always a good idea. Illness causes plucking as well as stress. She sounds beautiful.

Thank you sooooo much..I feel like I can breath a sigh of relief. I was looking for it this morning again and was having a tough time finding the exact spot so that's a good thing.
I have plans to get her to an avian vet..I can't get her to step up so I have to figure out how to get her into a carrier to get there. I don't want to freak her out after we've come so far in 3 weeks with trust. She's eating well pellets, veggies etc, loves playing, readily looks for some pin feather preening so I'm not overly worried..but I do want her tested for giardia to be on the safe side for me and the dogs.

Thanks again !!!

Most Reactions