Pneumonia

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
How old is your bird?
How bad is the pneumonia?
Aspiration pneumonia or something else?
What treatment is he getting?

"Pneumonia

Cause and Treatment: Pneumonia is actually a condition with a variety of causes, including infections of viral, fungal, and/or bacterial organisms. In addition, pneumonia can result from aspiration (inhalation) of foreign material into the air sacs. This last can occur during hand feeding, administration of medicine or anesthesia (if the bird has not been properly fasted prior to the procedure.)

One cause of bacterial pneumonia, Pasteurella, was discussed previously. A common cause of fungal pneumonaia is Aspergillus. A well-known cause of viral pneumonia, Newcastle’s Disease, comes from the Paramyxovirus groups (see below), at least four of which can infect parrot species with varying degrees of susceptibility."

So, there are a lot of variables that affect prognosis.

The age of the bird. (Young chicks with aspiration pneumonia have a very high mortality rate.)

How strong he is.

The type of bacteria/disease process causing it.

How early treatment begins.

How well he responds to medication.

Whether or not there are secondary infections.

These are things to discuss with your vet.

Yes, some birds do fully recover.

Others do not. It can be fatal.

Last edited:
OP
B

bamsmomjdg

Jun 13, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Macaw
He is 20 years old. Doctor said it was bad. They just told me pneumonia (after x-rays were done). Gave me antibiotics and anti-fungal meds just in case it was fungal. She said that they may help but its a bad case. :(

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
What part of Texas are you in, and who is your vet if you don't mind me asking?

It all depends on how the bird responds to the antibiotics.

I'm not going to sugar coat it. This tends to be bad. But it isn't hopeless...

Give him the meds. Don't lose Hope.

I've seen birds that were on the brink of death bounce back.

Last edited:

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I had a lovebird that caught it and with medication was completely better in a few weeks. <3 Keep your chin up and just do whatever the vet advises.

OP
B

bamsmomjdg

Jun 13, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Macaw
Sorry for the delay....
In North texas took him to Deer Creek in Crowley.
Today, was his second dose of meds. He is still acting tired but he is back to squawking at me when I talk to him and more active. I'm hoping this is all good signs.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That does sound positive if he is more active than he was. Hoping he recovers fully from this and sending healing wishes your way.

OP
B

bamsmomjdg

Jun 13, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Macaw
We have finished the medicine and he is back to his stubborn self. Chasing the dogs and telling me to shut up!! (its the only words he learned before his injury from the original owners). I'm so happy he is back to himself!!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
That's fantastic news! I'm happy he's healthy and back to normal! Thanks for the update.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
WOW [so glad :)]

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Glad to hear he responded to the meds!

Most Reactions

Latest posts