Polly's Wing

Pollys_Pop

Sep 23, 2013
Hi Folks.

My female Cockatiel Polly who is 16 years old hurt her right wing when she crashed several days ago. It's not broken, but it not functioning normally and it is not straight when she is perching. I hope I can get an idea as to what the problem is. I've attached several pix so I hope that helps. Thank you, Marc

Attachments

• Polly_1.jpg
    Polly_1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 241
  • Polly_2.jpg
    Polly_2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 436
  • Polly_3.jpg
    Polly_3.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 388

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Honestly, I'm more concerned about her liver values rather than her wing. Has she been to an avian vet recently to check her liver and kidney values? What's her diet like?

She could have still broken her wing or at least fractured it. Only an avian vet can tell you whats wrong with it after doing x-rays.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Honestly, I'm more concerned about her liver values rather than her wing. Has she been to an avian vet recently to check her liver and kidney values? What's her diet like?

She could have still broken her wing or at least fractured it. Only an avian vet can tell you whats wrong with it after doing x-rays.

Monica, what do you see in the pictures that makes you more concerned about her liver function?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Polly appears to be a cinnamon pearl pied cockatiel, just like my Casey. Polly is yellow. Polly should not be yellow. Not that intense yellow that she is.

Compare to the color of Casey. Casey's mask is a deeper yellow than the rest of her body is.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc1FKcVIPK4]Casey the tiel getting scritches - YouTube[/ame]

For comparison, check out the cockatiel photos on the page below.

BIRDS OF A DIFFERENT FEATHER

And an image of another cockatiel also with liver failure.

http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/melbournebirdvet/photos/large/(36).jpg

OP
P

Pollys_Pop

Sep 23, 2013

Thanks for your reply. Polly's color has been the same since I adopted her when she was a baby.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
You haven't answered my questions.

If you have a child and he or she has an injury that can't be treated at home, you take them to a doctor. If a pet injures themselves and you can't tell if something is broken, fractured or otherwise, you take them to a vet.

What is her diet?
Has she been to an avian vet to check out her injury?
When was the last time she had a blood panel done to ensure she's healthy?

If she hasn't been to an avian vet, do you have access to one at least? So that you could take her?

It's nice to know she's always been that way, but I'm still curious to know her health.

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
I would say it looks like she may have broken/fractured her wing. My conure broke his wing when he was a baby and it looks just like that (His wing is arched higher than that).

I'll post a picture of what his wing looks like.

But If I were you I would try my best to get him to an avian vet.

Most Reactions