Polysporin?

Bossandbooboo

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
Lovebirds
Hi guys, my two lovebirds ended up getting into a tussle (I ran and bought a separate cage now) and one of my lovebirds got my other lovebird around his eye. Could I put polysporin? Are there any human antibiotic ointments safe for use? Thank you.

OP
B

Bossandbooboo

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
Lovebirds
To add to, I wouldn't lather the product on his eye, iā€™d put less than a pea size to just the affected area if it is safe for use. Thanks

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Honestly, unless itā€™s really bad I would just clean the area with a soft rag soaked in warm water. Birds usually heal from scrapes and scratches pretty quickly. If you feel like you need to, a tiny bit of antibiotic ointment ( like polysporin) on the skin should be ok. Hope your bird heals up quickly ā¤ļø

OP
B

Bossandbooboo

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
Lovebirds
Honestly, unless itā€™s really bad I would just clean the area with a soft rag soaked in warm water. Birds usually heal from scrapes and scratches pretty quickly. If you feel like you need to, a tiny bit of antibiotic ointment ( like polysporin) on the skin should be ok. Hope your bird heals up quickly ā¤ļø
Thank you so much for your response! It looks pretty bad, the eye itself is fine but as we know, lovebirds love hard but if they start fighting its to the šŸ’€. So its a pretty ā€˜badā€™ looking superficial gash/scratch? and now he looks like Zuko from avatar.

Iā€™ve been cleaning it up 2x a day with distilled water and lightly soaking that area up (as there is dried up blood, no active bleeding thank god). But this gives me some peace of mind, and Iā€™ll probably head to shoppers tomorrow to just grab the cream polysporin to be on the safe side.

My vets away for a week so I want to ensure I do something at least (and hopefully it gets better). I do have him in a separate cage now, in a warmer area too just to heal up and rest.

Most Reactions