poo stuck to new cockatiel vent and hissing?

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
we just got a new cockatiel yesterday from a really nice bird store and I'm super excited. She's sooo sweet! But I have a couple questions!
She hasn't moved from the back of the cage since she got here. She was in a small carrier from 2 PM and all night last night because my mom was going places and couldn't get her cage ready in time. (And she fell asleep at about 5-6 because of early sunset) She's in her new cage yet but I haven't seen her eat or drink at all. She seems really scared and makes this little hiss noise sometimes. I also noticed a bunch of poo stuck to her tail near her vent. (Not her vent now that I look at her. Her vent seems clean) I've heard this is a bad sign but it could be that she was sitting in her poo last night when she was in the small travel container.

Should I just give her some more time to acclimate or should I be concerned?

Last edited:
OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
There were a few poos in the carrier but only one white poo in her cage and its 12 pm which makes me think she hasn't eaten yet.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Just give her time to get adjusted, they don't usually go for food right away in a new setting. If your able to bathe her you could just sit her in a tub with some warm water to soak the poo off her tail.

Most Reactions

Latest posts