Poor Kiwi. Going to the vet next week for a rather embarrassing issue

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Poor guy! I promise not to tell Julio!

FYI: Aloe tends to cake with repeated applications. So, avoid extended use without a good flushing (bath) with plain water. With your normal shower schedule, Kiwi will not have any issues.

If for some reason, you find yourself needing to do this 'misting of the rump' into the future. Consider not running him around his cage trying to mist him, but as part of your normal method of providing a body mist. And for the others who are reading this, NEVER MIST A PARROT IN THEIR FACE!

The tiny black bits look like root buds for feathers that I see on Julio where he plucks. I honestly do not know whether Feathers on the vent is a rare event or not. And, I can assure you that Julio joins his friend regarding having his bottom looked at, let alone any targeted interest /misting! Death to all evil Humans!!!

Lol, yes, please do not tell Julio Kiwi has any itchy butt, has to see a vet and is getting butt mistings to soothe it! He might die of the embarrassment alone:54:

I will likely try the route of giving him a nice bath tomorrow and sneak the butt spritz in at that time when he's happy, already wet and unable to run away:54:. I don't want to make him hate me over it. Hopefully if it's an infection, some probiotics will provide some relief in the interim as well.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hard to know is happening to his vent region. Hopefully nothing serious that causes much discomfort or requires aggressive intervention.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
it could be an infection or it could very simply be just a little itchy spot cause by some dry skin or something. It could even be whatever caused the initial itch has actually gone and his probing at the area could be causing the irritation. Hopefully the vet visit enlightens as to what has made his butt so scratchy

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Poor guy, hopefully the his itching has stopped for all the trouble...

The probiotic powder should be sprinkled on his food once a day, NOT IN HIS WATER, IT COULD CAUSE HIM TO NOT DRINK HIS WATER, AND ON HIS FOOD IS MORE THAN ENOUGH. He'll get quite enough once a day on his food, and no, he shouldn't have any runny stools from the probiotics, actually his bowel movements should become more regular and firm-up a bit, which may in-fact also help with the itching....Think about a human adding a probiotic or fiber supplement for hemmeroids, IBS, etc. Like I said, I started giving my guys probiotics daily years and years ago due to how much they helped while hand-raising the babies or the babies who had crop issues, and my birds have never once had any GI issues or infections at all. The nice thing about probiotics and prebiotics is that they don't always help, usually they do but not always, but they never hurt, as they simply contain the same strains of normal flora naturally found throughout the GI tract. Hopefully his system will start to normalize soon...

I'd second just giving him a bath instead of spritzing his bum, especially if it's that traumatic. If he takes a normal shower or bath that will do, but if not, now might be the time to introduce him to a shower perch...

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Poor guy, hopefully the his itching has stopped for all the trouble...

The probiotic powder should be sprinkled on his food once a day, NOT IN HIS WATER, IT COULD CAUSE HIM TO NOT DRINK HIS WATER, AND ON HIS FOOD IS MORE THAN ENOUGH. He'll get quite enough once a day on his food, and no, he shouldn't have any runny stools from the probiotics, actually his bowel movements should become more regular and firm-up a bit, which may in-fact also help with the itching....Think about a human adding a probiotic or fiber supplement for hemmeroids, IBS, etc. Like I said, I started giving my guys probiotics daily years and years ago due to how much they helped while hand-raising the babies or the babies who had crop issues, and my birds have never once had any GI issues or infections at all. The nice thing about probiotics and prebiotics is that they don't always help, usually they do but not always, but they never hurt, as they simply contain the same strains of normal flora naturally found throughout the GI tract. Hopefully his system will start to normalize soon...

I'd second just giving him a bath instead of spritzing his bum, especially if it's that traumatic. If he takes a normal shower or bath that will do, but if not, now might be the time to introduce him to a shower perch...

Thanks for the further info. I put ACV in his water instead, which he will drink (and that has probiotics too). I put the supplement in his food.

Kiwi is VERY used to showers/mister baths. Several times per week. He's practically a water bird. I just don't think he likes me paying extra attention to his butt. Especially if it's itchy or sore or whatever the issue is down there. I don't blame him, I wouldn't particularly want to draw the attention of my family to those regions myself if I was having the kind of issues he is!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
You know something else I just realized that might also have been/is a "symptom" ? He has been getting through his mineral blocks awfully fast lately. Ya, a lot does end up on the floor but I know he ingests at least some of it. I give him that "Manu clay" that parrots in the wild eat. He also had some cuttlebones a while back because they're cheaper and he was voraciously ripping up mineral blocks. I thought he was just ripping them up due to hormones, but perhaps his tummy was upset all along. I know one of the reasons they eat the clay in the wild to neutralize toxic seeds they ingest that upsets their stomachs.

Hoping the probiotics help if he does have an upset tummy. I feel bad for the poor little guy:( I wish they didn't hide health problems so we could help them sooner! It's hard to guess what's them being birds and what's them being sick sometimes.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Poor Kiwi. I don't have anything to add to the amazing advice and insights already provided, but I just want to mention that you have always been a wonderful mom to Kiwi and have nothing to feel guilty about. It's just great that you noticed when you did.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
That could very well be a clue, yes. He could have been eating all of the mineral blocks/cuttlebones to try to settle his stomach or his GI tract in-general. He may very well have a bit of a GI yeast or bacterial infection. If so, the probiotics combined with the ACV should start helping within a couple of days...keep us posted on the poor guy...

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I admire your dedication and generous sharing.
Yes, please keep us posted.
You're in our thoughts.
Cyber-hugs!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
It's going to be a warm sunny weekend and the creature is going to be eager to get out of the house with us. So long as he just has an itchy butt and no other symptoms of illness, is there any reason he shouldn't venture outdoors? I feel bad cooping him up inside when it's nice out. At minimum, put him on the patio in his little cage out there (eagle proofing has now been completed)?

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
There's no harm in putting him out on the patio in a cage in the sun as long as he's not coughing/wheezing, fluffed up, or acting ill. It's likely if this is a bacterial or fungal GI infection or imbalance that he's had it quite a while, and it won't be effected by getting some sun! Probably better for the poor guy to be happy and outside in the sun than stressed because he's inside!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
So after 2 days on the probiotics, aloe/silver topical spray and more than normal ACV in the water, the itching does seem to be lessening (or at least I am seeing him reach back there to preen less often than he was there for a couple days). I hope he's feeling better and not just not wanting to scratch so he doesn't get his butt misted. Will still for sure be going to the vet, as I doubt this will just 'go away' on its own. Better safe than sorry!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
So after 2 days on the probiotics, aloe/silver topical spray and more than normal ACV in the water, the itching does seem to be lessening (or at least I am seeing him reach back there to preen less often than he was there for a couple days). I hope he's feeling better and not just not wanting to scratch so he doesn't get his butt misted. Will still for sure be going to the vet, as I doubt this will just 'go away' on its own. Better safe than sorry!

Oh definitely get him to an Avian Vet ASAP! It's good that he's feeling better, but that is all that these suggestions were meant to do, make him feel better UNTIL he got to the Avian Vet for testing, diagnosis, and treatment...

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Sigh. This afternoon is the appointment. I'm always super nervous about taking Kiwi to the vets office that he will catch something while there that is so much worse than whatever his problem is. His butt has seemed less itchy but he is still itching it so I'm really hoping the vet can figure it out in this appointment.

Are there any tests anyone can recommend I insist they run? I'm sure they'll do a fecal test and physical exam. Not sure if she'll see the need to draw blood or do anything else. Any recommendations to inquire about?

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Definitely fecal cultures to test for a fungal and/or bacterial infection in the GI tract. I doubt he'll want to take blood, though it's a good idea, especially if you've never had a baseline, routine blood panel done on him before, that way you have the results to compare if something happens in the future. It would be nice to be able to at least see his blood cell counts to rule-out infection, and a look at his liver and kidney functions. But usually on the first-appointments for something like this, they don't like to do a blood draw. That should be your choice though, I'd discuss it will him anyway.

This is most likely a GI infection, so taking the fecal cultures and sending them out to test for bacteria and/or fungi is most important here. Well, that and a very thorough physical and visual exam of his vent-area. It's very important that he rule-out any external growths, abnormal feather growths, feather cysts, microscopic mites or other parasites, etc. in the vent area. Feather cysts cause this, but they are rare in the vent area, however if he's a good Avian vet he'll be sure to do a very thorough physical exam of the vent area to rule out parasites, growths, feather cysts, dermatitis, etc.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Definitely fecal cultures to test for a fungal and/or bacterial infection in the GI tract. I doubt he'll want to take blood, though it's a good idea, especially if you've never had a baseline, routine blood panel done on him before, that way you have the results to compare if something happens in the future. It would be nice to be able to at least see his blood cell counts to rule-out infection, and a look at his liver and kidney functions. But usually on the first-appointments for something like this, they don't like to do a blood draw. That should be your choice though, I'd discuss it will him anyway.

This is most likely a GI infection, so taking the fecal cultures and sending them out to test for bacteria and/or fungi is most important here. Well, that and a very thorough physical and visual exam of his vent-area. It's very important that he rule-out any external growths, abnormal feather growths, feather cysts, microscopic mites or other parasites, etc. in the vent area. Feather cysts cause this, but they are rare in the vent area, however if he's a good Avian vet he'll be sure to do a very thorough physical exam of the vent area to rule out parasites, growths, feather cysts, dermatitis, etc.

Agreed. Excellent points above. The fecal culture is paramount, but I think a blood panel would be a good idea as well. And for exactly the reason Ellen mentioned. If there is infection, the blood will tell that story.

Hoping all is well for Sir Kiwi, April. Looking forward to the update.

Most Reactions