Poor lovebird

fa660m

May 27, 2013
Hello, I'm new here so I'll introduce my self first, I'm Fatemah from Saudi Arabia

I've never had a lovebird (although I always wanted one but It's a commitment) few days ago I was in a pet shop and found a poor lovebird with one of his legs looks broken or something is weong with it, i talked to the manager he said its a genetic defect and he's been in that cage for over a year, he said he could give him to me

now i'm thinking of taking that poor guy but I need to make a big cage for him, I don't know what kind of wire mesh is safe for birds but when I was thinking of building a cage for my sugar glider I could't find any safe material for sugar gliders in my country, so I'm wondering if regular wire mesh coated with varnish is safe ?

also another question, I wanna let him fly freely inside the house and keep him in the cage at night, would he poop all over the house ?

thanks

Last edited:

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Hi Fatemah, welcome to the forum. Yes he will poop, but lovebird poop is nothing compared to the big birds! How nice of you to take him in, and I wish you the best of luck!

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
You could also teach him to poop when sitting on his cage or another designated perch. Basil (my lovebird) is predictable so I know to put him on his cage or play gym if I think he's due to poop. They normally don't poop while in flight.

You are doing a really nice thing by taking care of this poor birdie. Sorry I can't help with respect to the cage. I'm sure another member has information for you and in the meantime, you can do some internet research.

Most Reactions

Latest posts