Poppy's favorite toys and purple mohawk

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Here's Poppy's busy basket after Poppy worked it over! I think she liked it.

Here's the replacement. Our local deli donated the clean pizza box. :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I love it!! An even BIGGER one to keep her busy :D! Let's see how long it lasts...

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
I can live vicariously through you.
I've always wanted a Too and Poppy is the cutest!♡♡♡

Very creative, btw. :)

Last edited:

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I am heading out to Babies R Us today to see if I can find that piano and guitar I think Brady will love them! Thanks for the GREAT ideas Allee!:D

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
You are SO creative!!! I wish I was! I am also going to find that guitar and piano. Maybe we can get a birdie band going...:32:

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thanks everyone! :) We've found everyone in the house is happier when Poppy has something safely destructive to keep her busy.

During her first vet visit, one side of Poppy's bottom beak was a little overgrown, her Av Vet wanted to try diet change and chewing and save the beak grinding for a last resort. She was right, Poppy's beak has righted itself, she's gone through about two cords of wood, but hey, I'm happy if she is.

I found both Poppy's musical toys at Wal-Mart in the toy department. What can I say, I'm cheap.

Leanna, I love your birdie band idea! That would be a cute reason to photoshop. We'll need a drummer.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Whoa... that is awesome. I mean wow....I'm envious now. You just gave me a great Idea Because I have a few of those baskets ( Shhhhush, there my wife's she has 40 of them, she won't miss one...I hope)

And you fasten it to side of cage.....creative you are!!! I like it.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
You are SO creative!!! I wish I was! I am also going to find that guitar and piano. Maybe we can get a birdie band going...:32:

A birdee band??? My Grey has a key board and can play piano...just bring the ear muffs....Poppie the singer.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
And here is her new musical instrument and her purple mohawk. She started playing it immediately.

Allee, I've been meaning to ask you (and kept on forgetting), how do you attach the piano to Poppy's cage? Do you use those plastic things the piano was attached with to the box?

Ripley destroyed those. :( And now I have no clue how to re-attach it to his cage. He LOVES the piano....

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
Oh no, poor Ripley! I used the little plastic circles to attach the piano with zip ties. Wow, I'm not sure how you could attach it without those. For some reason Poppy never bothers zip ties or the back if her musical instruments.

Hmm, I'll have to give that some thought. I guess Fischer Price didn't design the toy with parrots in mind.

Poppy plays her piano a lot. The guitar is tougher, louder, and easier to attach to the cage bars.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thanks, Allee! Yeah, Mister Ripley was determined to see what the piano looked like on the other side. :rolleyes: I had used zip ties, too. He left those alone, only chewed through the plastic circles until it fell to the cage bottom. :32:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I don't know how I missed this the first time around...

I wonder how my CAG would do with those...

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
Ripley likes to know how his toys are made! I'm sorry, Wendy, I just took a close look and I got nothin', they didn't leave much room to secure it to the bars. I don't think the plastic on the edges would hold up to a drill. The only thing I can think of that might work is to hook something into the holes in the back?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Just use sissal rope, and tie it on to the bars...

Can you wrap the chewed plastic part in sissal?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Just use sissal rope, and tie it on to the bars...

Can you wrap the chewed plastic part in sissal?

Mark, Ripley totally destroyed the plastic parts I 'was' using to hang it up. :54: There was no salvaging them. I thought of using sisal all the way around the piano, but it just kept on playing the tunes then because it was pressing against the keys. :32:

Ripley likes to know how his toys are made! I'm sorry, Wendy, I just took a close look and I got nothin', they didn't leave much room to secure it to the bars. I don't think the plastic on the edges would hold up to a drill. The only thing I can think of that might work is to hook something into the holes in the back?

BINGO!! Alex just rigged it back up for me. I tried shoving rubber O-rings in the holes, with a zip tie attached, but that came undone the moment Alex tied it to the cage. He shook his head at me, went into the garage, and used hooks. He was able to screw them into the existing holes, and now it's VERY firmly attached to Ripley's cage. I had to hang my winter jacket in the doorway because Ripley kept flying over to his cage from the kitchen, HAHAHAH. :D

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
Bravo Alex! I'd hate for Ripley's rock star status to be cut short by technical difficulties!

I'll keep Alex's solution in mind for when Poppy disassembles the back of her piano!

emyoung858

Mar 2, 2017
Oh my gosh this is brilliant I am stealing all your wonderful ideas!!! Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
You people with your smartie-pants birds!

That thing would freak the Rb out so much he would probably go into a coma for a week.

Hey, wait a minute... :)

Most Reactions